Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 MXz 700 Renegade with Electric Start and RER. I just got the sled running and it had no lights, I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but I noticed when I shut the sled off with the key, the lights would come on as the sled was shutting down. So I fired it back up with the key, and slowly turned it towards the off position. Sure enough, about half way in between the run position and the off position, the lights and tach would come on. So I pulled the plug off the back of the key switch, and pull started the sled, sure enough everything came on and worked.

I figured the switch was the problem, so I went to the dealer early today and bought a new key switch. Came back, plugged it in and boom, no lights again. Turn the switch half way back towards the off position, and I have lights again.

Does anyone have any clue at all what could cause this? I'm at a loss, and really don't know where to look next. I've traced the wires, everything is hooked up. I rode 4 miles today with the switch in the "middle" position, and everything worked fine, no bulbs blew out. The only thing I don't know for sure that's working is the hand and thumb warmers as I never turned them on.

Can I just cross some ignition wires to fix this? ie. feed the dead one that' supposed to have power?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 2002 MXz 700 Renegade with Electric Start and RER. I just got the sled running and it had no lights, I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but I noticed when I shut the sled off with the key, the lights would come on as the sled was shutting down. So I fired it back up with the key, and slowly turned it towards the off position. Sure enough, about half way in between the run position and the off position, the lights and tach would come on. So I pulled the plug off the back of the key switch, and pull started the sled, sure enough everything came on and worked.

I figured the switch was the problem, so I went to the dealer early today and bought a new key switch. Came back, plugged it in and boom, no lights again. Turn the switch half way back towards the off position, and I have lights again.

Does anyone have any clue at all what could cause this? I'm at a loss, and really don't know where to look next. I've traced the wires, everything is hooked up. I rode 4 miles today with the switch in the "middle" position, and everything worked fine, no bulbs blew out. The only thing I don't know for sure that's working is the hand and thumb warmers as I never turned them on.

Can I just cross some ignition wires to fix this? ie. feed the dead one that' supposed to have power?[/b]

Dude try the relay.....do a search on "Headlight Relay" I had the same sorta problem... I think the ignition thing is just making the problem more confusing... Relays were a known problem on these sleds....and for the $6 from Napa (or Part Source) its a cheap fix to narrow down the problem. Mine was on the magneto side of the sled right above the battery...alittle black relay box about the size of a pool cue chalk..

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got your PM. I thought you meant the regulator. I'll have a look for the relay, I believe I saw a solenoid there. I thought the relay deal was on REV style sleds only. Someone mentioned this to me on dootalk but I shrugged it off because I assumed it was a REV related issue. I'll have a look. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I re-read the PM. The thing is, everything works with the key switch in the half way position. The battery is getting charged, it seems the regulator is doing everything it should be doing. Why would it work with the key in between run and off if the regulator was bad? That's what is getting me. If I run without the key switch, like most sled are, it works fine, I would have no problem. Plug in the key switch however, and I lose all of my lights, and my gauges. Work that key back between run and off after you start it, bang, you have all your lights and gauges again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts