Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Pro RMK,Switchback Assault & Rush Pro-S 800s
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm contemplating purchasing my friend's MY21 650 Assault with 7K "county" miles and 3K on top end replacement after a dealer diagnosed "cold seizure". What is the life expectancy of this motor? I'm not really looking for another project sled, but this one has 2 years of warranty left which eases my worries of the high miles. Shoul I assume it is due for a crank it the near future? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Frankly I’m surprised at how many are concerned. It may be the perception they don’t last long if someone reads a failure that occurred but has nothing to do with longevity. Holy crap, every two stroke I’ve been around, owned and ride with have some crazy miles on them. My friends son rides his skidoo rev with over 18,000 miles on it! Maintained but never a wrench turned on the motor. Every two stroke I’ve owned I sold with anywhere between 8-15,000 miles and run nice, never wrenched on motor.... the truth to be known most that fail in some way have been molested in some way, “tweaked”.

·
Vendor
11,456 Posts
i'm contemplating purchasing my friend's MY21 650 Assault with 7K "county" miles and 3K on top end replacement after a dealer diagnosed "cold seizure". What is the life expectancy of this motor? I'm not really looking for another project sled, but this one has 2 years of warranty left which eases my worries of the high miles. Shoul I assume it is due for a crank it the near future? Any thoughts?
crank is over built on these. 850 crank 650 is a necked down 850. cold seize should not have gotten any alum.. etc. in the crank. cold seize would just score piston's/cylinder resulting in low compression. i work on some of these that already have 10,000 miles on them still going strong. but like anything else a lot depends on how it was taken care of or used? not warming the sled up, not going easy for 5 miles or so to get the entire cooling system up to operating temp. before nutting on it? off season storage? etc. already been cold seized? not a good sign of how sled was ridden or taken care of? roll the dice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts