Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are pics of the Life Flight helicopter coming in to pick-up a 13 year old boy in Stow, just north of Fryeburg. He accidentally got burned by gasoline while trying to start a fire when his clothes caught. He is going to be OK but had burns bad enough that they had to take him to a burn unit. I just happened to be up in that area looking at a trailer with a friend, when the call came in.

I'm just thinking of how many stupid things I did as a kid with gasoline and got lucky that no one ever got hurt.

[attachment=277103:Freyburg...ight_001.jpg][attachment=277104:Freyburg...ight_00
.jpg]
[attachment=277105:Freyburg...ight_005.jpg]

G

·
These are pics of the Life Flight helicopter coming in to pick-up a 13 year old boy in Stow, just north of Fryeburg. He accidentally got burned by gasoline while trying to start a fire when his clothes caught. He is going to be OK but had burns bad enough that they had to take him to a burn unit. I just happened to be up in that area looking at a trailer with a friend, when the call came in.
I'm just thinking of how many stupid things I did as a kid with gasoline and got lucky that no one ever got hurt.
[attachment=277103:Freyburg...ight_001.jpg][attachment=277104:Freyburg...ight_00
.jpg]
[attachment=277105:Freyburg...ight_005.jpg][/b]
I agree. I've pulled some stunts too stupid to mention.

I hope that kid is ok and feels better soon. there is nothing worse than a burn.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Those Medflight Crews and Helicoptors are Real life savers. I watched them land one right in front of my buisiness one night
to pick up a Crash victim . They Landed on a 2 lane Highway with trees on one side and Power Lines on the other. A Massive
Scene Light on a Firetruck was the only good light they had. :div20: :div20: to those folks.

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
one of the most important vehicles of emergency service.... i have 3 hospitals within 10 miles of my house... they fly over regularly and man do they move!

hope the kids ok -- keep us posted

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had a nice $8,000 ride out of the back woods of maine 4 and a half years ago. To bad I was too drugged up to remember the flight! :banghead:
The pilot was awesome he came and visited me in my hospital room a few times while I was at eastern maine med. Sux when your 4 hours from home not too many people come and visit

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a nice $8,000 ride out of the back woods of maine 4 and a half years ago. To bad I was too drugged up to remember the flight! :banghead:
The pilot was awesome he came and visited me in my hospital room a few times while I was at eastern maine med. Sux when your 4 hours from home not too many people come and visit[/b]
So you got billed for the flight? I wonder if you can opt for ground transportation instead; it's got to be cheaper? :dunno: :smilielol:

Seriously though.....this is a whole other debate on who is going to pay or not pay for the service. Accident victim is one thing but a stranded hiker or someone else who puts themselves in harms way knowingly......well that's different IMO. My brother had to get air lifted once b/c of a car accident and I'm pretty sure some sort of insurance covered it. Maybe they felt sorry for him b/c he was paralyzed from the neck down. :dunno:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ajak Posted Today, 08:38 AM
QUOTE(sledshedracing @ Dec 29 2006, 07:31 AM) <
I had a nice $8,000 ride out of the back woods of maine 4 and a half years ago. To bad I was too drugged up to remember the flight!
The pilot was awesome he came and visited me in my hospital room a few times while I was at eastern maine med. Sux when your 4 hours from home not too many people come and visit

So you got billed for the flight? I wonder if you can opt for ground transportation instead; it's got to be cheaper?

Seriously though.....this is a whole other debate on who is going to pay or not pay for the service. Accident victim is one thing but a stranded hiker or someone else who puts themselves in harms way knowingly......well that's different IMO. My brother had to get air lifted once b/c of a car accident and I'm pretty sure some sort of insurance covered it. Maybe they felt sorry for him b/c he was paralyzed from the neck down.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry to hear about your brother AJAK. That really is too bad. I can't imagine how tough it must be to live like that. I had a good friend leave my camp a few years ago by vehicle and before I knew it my cell phone was ringing with his wife on the other end screaming something about lifeflight and accident and before I knew it the helicopter was flying directly over my camp headed for Bangor. Pretty eerie feeling knowing your best bud is in it. He is alive and doing well. Lost half of his small intestine, liver was all messed up, broken hip, broken legs etc. Made an awesome recovery but without the Life Flight he probably would be a gonner.

In reference to who is responsible for the $$ when peope knowingly put themselves in harms way, I say leave it to the insurance companies. They make plenty of dough. If the person(s) involved are uninsured than unfortunately for them, they will have medical bills for the rest of thier lives.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just echoing here . . . definitely a big thumbs up to Lifeflight. I've personally called them in on more than one call down in the Unity area and whenever we've done so it's been due to the fact that we needed to get the patient to a trauma hospital right away. So far we've been about 50-50 on the save-to-loss ratio . . . which isn't too bad considering the fact that the patients have been knocking on death's door in most cases.

One of the best saves I remember . . . a photographer in a VW Jetta struck a moose and was trapped . . . watched the guy go into shock right before my eyes as we worked to extricate him. The guy is alive today, thanks in no small part to Lifeflight.

And some of the saves where we weren't successful . . . a father and young boy involved in a head-on collision with a tired driver . . . a teen-age girl and her boyfriend who were T-boned at an intersection . . . a stock car driver who was involved in a crash at the raceway. For some reason I tend to remember these the most.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just echoing here . . . definitely a big thumbs up to Lifeflight. I've personally called them in on more than one call down in the Unity area and whenever we've done so it's been due to the fact that we needed to get the patient to a trauma hospital right away. So far we've been about 50-50 on the save-to-loss ratio . . . which isn't too bad considering the fact that the patients have been knocking on death's door in most cases.

One of the best saves I remember . . . a photographer in a VW Jetta struck a moose and was trapped . . . watched the guy go into shock right before my eyes as we worked to extricate him. The guy is alive today, thanks in no small part to Lifeflight.

And some of the saves where we weren't successful . . . a father and young boy involved in a head-on collision with a tired driver . . . a teen-age girl and her boyfriend who were T-boned at an intersection . . . a stock car driver who was involved in a crash at the raceway. For some reason I tend to remember these the most.[/b]

I've had the landing class but we are so close to the hospital that we never would use them. Right now they land at the airport and take the patient by ambulance to the hospital......15 minute ride. Maine Med has been working hard to get the pad in town, the neighbors have had a real issue with the idea of the helicopter noise at all hours of the night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.