Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I've read more than once that there is a local tow company that will do it for a fee with his flatbed.
Any chance that you might know the company's name and number? Always good to have on hand when making plans or in the area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
‘21 Indy 600 SP 137 & 2015 RMK 155 LE
25,379 Posts
Last I heard, the bridge authority quit the transfer service just due to covid. I hadn’t heard anything about it being permanently shut down. There are a lot of people that use to use that service.

·
Administrator
900T XRS
206 Posts
Any chance that you might know the company's name and number? Always good to have on hand when making plans or in the area.

I don't but if I stumble across it again I'll be sure to post it in this topic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Depending on snow conditions, temps, day of the week your planning your trip and miles that your want to ride for the day there is lots of options. You could ride from Lewiston down to Grayling and then do pretty much a straight shot up to the bridge, if your wanting to put a few more miles on.

Where are you by Lewiston? I'm over at Little Bear Lake (LBL) along with Saya.

Funny you brought this up.... Two years ago my Son and I did a backpack ride from Seney to Ishpeming. We rode in a blizzard on the way out, had awesome trails on the way back. We stayed and rode west and east of Seney for a couple of days. On our last day we decided to stay another day, but the place was booked, so we found a room at the American Inn in Newberry. We rode around northeast of Newberry for the day. While at Pine Stump, a guy was talking about the rain heading in. We high tailed it back to Newberry, even taking a short cut. The temps were climbing and the rain started coming as we got closer to the hotel. The trails were about mud by the time we got back. We were soaked. We loaded up and headed back to LBL only to spend the night in our truck in the Mc Donalds parking lot in St Ignace as the bridge was closed because of falling ice. We orginally planned on riding from our place to the bridge, shuttle across, and continue to Seney then to Ishpeming. Once across the bridge there was no snow on the trails, solid ice.

It really isn't bad riding 9 down from Cheboygan fast, but long, at least it isn't like the stop and go, 35 mph on trail 720 for 11 miles. There is a short cut that involves road riding from our place that will bring you out by the DNR station on 33 north of Atlanta. That way you avoid the ride to Lewiston (448, 449, and 4/9) to Atlanta.
I was thinking of heading up from Lewiston to Gaylord. 448 to 4 is what we usually take. Then taking 7 to 720 to 9? Doesn't 7 start right behind extreme powers ports right there on the other side of the railroad tracks? Our cabin is on big antler. Close to wolf lake.

·
Premium Member
25,379 Posts
I was thinking of heading up from Lewiston to Gaylord. 448 to 4 is what we usually take. Then taking 7 to 720 to 9? Doesn't 7 start right behind extreme powers ports right there on the other side of the railroad tracks? Our cabin is on big antler. Close to wolf lake.
Yes. 4 runs into Old 27 right at Extreme. Then you catch 7 on the west side of Old 27 behind Extreme. Then 720 to 9. 11 miles of 720 alongside Mullet Lake is 35 mph speed limit.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I had Bobby count the stop and yeild signs in that 11 mile stretch last year. I think he said 32 signs, also seen where as car drove down a part of it just north of Topinabee last year. Groomer was trying to clean it up as we went by.

Off topic, they are replacing the utility poles at LBL this year. Can't remember if Bruce has a pole in his yard, they dropped one off at our place today.

·
Premium Member
25,379 Posts
I had Bobby count the stop and yeild signs in that 11 mile stretch last year. I think he said 32 signs, also seen where as car drove down a part of it just north of Topinabee last year. Groomer was trying to clean it up as we went by.

Off topic, they are replacing the utility poles at LBL this year. Can't remember if Bruce has a pole in his yard, they dropped one off at our place today.

It’s an annoying amount, that’s for sure.

I can’t remember if we do or not. He’s usually up on that stuff though. He just sent me a picture of all the lake trout that he and his siblings caught on their fishing charter up on Lake Superior in Grand Marias where his brother has a house.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You guys have been a great help so far! I appreciate all of the advice! I'll be referring back to this thread several times to plan the trip!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts