Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a set of graphite fax on my sled before last trip, after 550 miles in good snow they're worn down to 14 mm in thickness. I purchased the DuPont's for a previous sled but the inserts only went back about three force of the way. On these current graphite ones I'm using the worst where is towards the very back of the high fax where the DuPont's stopped with the Vespal inserts .

Does anyone know how long of a track do I need to order fo for the vesper inserts to go to the rear of the track for a 137 inch arctic cat Thundercat?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it did not start early, but I use text to speech and sometimes it doesn't exactly understand snowmobile terms

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Weird that they are wearing like that. Mine are even wearing except right after the bend.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Installed a set of graphite fax on my sled before last trip, after 550 miles in good snow they're worn down to 14 mm in thickness. I purchased the DuPont's for a previous sled but the inserts only went back about three force of the way. On these current graphite ones I'm using the worst where is towards the very back of the high fax where the DuPont's stopped with the Vespal inserts .

Does anyone know how long of a track do I need to order fo for the vesper inserts to go to the rear of the track for a 137 inch arctic cat Thundercat?
I had the same type of wear on my 146" last season, at 1,200 miles I was shopping for the expensive slides but ended up putting the OEM slides on for my trip. One thing I changed is the coupling blocks, I had them set on 2 and I believe that excellerated the wear in the rear portion of the slides. Reason of thought is when the rear arm couples it forces the rail to tip up in front actually pivoting at the rear scissor arm, this motion of coupling early forces the rear portion of the slide behind the rear arm to pivot down causing excess wear between the rear arm and rear axle.
After setting the couplers to 1 the next 1,500 miles showed very little wear. Just my observation.

·
Registered
2017 ZR 9000 LTD
619 Posts

My 2017 wears out quickly at the last 20 inches or so. Rest looks great. Maybe no outside rear idlers accelerates it in that area. Last time I checked you would have to buy the long mountain ones for the Vespal stripes to get that far back OR as someone suggested to me on here, reverse the shorter ones and cut off at whatever end is needed to get the Vespal strips to the end of the rail and then drill a countersunk hole for the bolt. I have not tried it yet. I do find that they wear quickly to a point and then slow down on the wearing.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On that last trip I was hoping to get a couple high-speed runs in so I think I may have made my track a little too tight. I think that may have accelerated my hifax wear.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
On that last trip I was hoping to get a couple high-speed runs in so I think I may have made my track a little too tight. I think that may have accelerated my hifax wear.
There’s a video on you tube from precision efi on setting track tension

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
According to Turbo Dynamics, that's too loose.
Here is TD's tech tips for 998s:
(TD performance guide for 998 turbo snowmobiles). In it, they say tight is faster, loose is slower. Should be no sag under rails for best high-speed running. Track balloons huge at high speed.
I’ll try that for next season flash. I’ve had no issues using precision’s specs. Won’t hurt to try Td’s method, thanks for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts