Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 8 gallons of Legend oil, zxr2, the synthetic blend....I am putting it in my 05' Rev 600 HO SDI, and my gf 550 Polaris Supersport. The Rev has semi synthetic doo oil, xps or whatever, in it...The Supersport has Amsoil HP full synthetic so I am told.....

My question is not if the oil si good or bad, but how you made the switch to the new oil....Did you fully drain, close to drain, just mix it all??? My plan is too use the oil in the sleds until they get low, then siphon out all I can and replace with the Legend oil....Experiences?

·
Registered
726 Posts
As far as I know the Amsoil HP injector oil is a syn blend, still mineral based. If the legend oil is also semi synthetic mineral based you should be able to mix them. I don't know this to be completely accurate so hope for more responses.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I use Legend oil and in fact spent last winter running it thru one sled for Legend to test out the latest blend(prototype mix). I believe that is what is availible to consumers now. I would use a pump siphon to get the old stuff mostly out then add the Legend. Or you could suffer thru using what you have down to almost empty and run it. IMO there is not a better blend on the market for sleds right now. I used it on ane brand new 05 600 XCSP last winter from mile #1 and put 1900 on it with great results. Mark Zaic(Legend owner) tore down and inspected the 600 at the end of las season and everything looked mint. Valve maintenance is not much of an issue any more, then when you finally do the maintenance the valves come clean REAL quick. I put 500 miles on my 700 XCSP , the wife put 1200 on her 550 . 3600 miles last winter on Legend and I will never switch! I run the stuff in my leaf blower,chainsaw, weedwacker and outboard. Please let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Legend oil and in fact spent last winter running it thru one sled for Legend to test out the latest blend(prototype mix). I believe that is what is availible to consumers now. I would use a pump siphon to get the old stuff mostly out then add the Legend. Or you could suffer thru using what you have down to almost empty and run it. IMO there is not a better blend on the market for sleds right now. I used it on ane brand new 05 600 XCSP last winter from mile #1 and put 1900 on it with great results. Mark Zaic(Legend owner) tore down and inspected the 600 at the end of las season and everything looked mint. Valve maintenance is not much of an issue any more, then when you finally do the maintenance the valves come clean REAL quick. I put 500 miles on my 700 XCSP , the wife put 1200 on her 550 . 3600 miles last winter on Legend and I will never switch! I run the stuff in my leaf blower,chainsaw, weedwacker and outboard. Please let us know how it works for you.[/b]

Thanks, will do....I think I will do the siphon it out method....The thing that is bugging me is this:

Both sleds have oil in them. It isn't like they are out or anything...Seems like such a waste to pull out a gallon between the 2 sleds and just waste it....But I also don't want to deal with it down the trail etc....A big weekend of riding and the oil mucks up would be a bummer....I think I will have seperate containers with the Amsoil and the Doo oil, and mark them...I can give them to someone at some point and they can use it up...

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't use zxr2, but i think i can still give my experience. I too used to be very careful to never mix oils and would go so far as to not ride at all if I didn't have the right kind of oil. I spoke with some other riders and over time I slowly broke away from this practice. I will now call it a misconception that oils cannot be mixed and that you can't change oils. Two cycle engines are tolerant and are not effected by the mixing of oils. There aren't chemicals in the oils that are going to interact badly, or clot up, or any of the other malarchy you've heard. Ask one person to cite one example that he/she has personal specific knowledge of (not heard from a friend who heard from a buddy whose uncle etc. etc.), it won't happen cause there aren't any. I will say once you find an oil that you like, there is no reason to go switching back and forth to others, but if it comes down to being able to go riding or not, use whatever is available. If you have a half tank already... you can just pour the new oil right in with it, it's not going to hurt anything. I think Amsoil even advertises that you can switch and it will mix just fine. Before I go any further I should say that if you have valves, you should use oil made for valves so they don't get stuck, but if you're 20 miles from home and your oil light is flickering and you have the choice of trying to make it home without adding oil or using a quart of straight mineral oil, use the oil, it's not going to seize your motor or anything silly like that. I've done this more than once.

I've mixed the following Bombi XPS and Amsoil Synth, Klotz and Polaris Gold, Polaris Gold and Amsoil, Polaris Gold and Bombi Synth.

I think the rumor that oils could not be mixed was to help the dealerships sell oil at very high prices. When mineral oil was prevailent, I believe Polaris oil and Cat oil were both made by Sunoco and were the same thing. You could also by 3 gallons of the same oil with out "cat" or "polaris" on the lable for the price of one gallon of "cat" oil.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I don't use zxr2, but i think i can still give my experience. I too used to be very careful to never mix oils and would go so far as to not ride at all if I didn't have the right kind of oil. I spoke with some other riders and over time I slowly broke away from this practice. I will now call it a misconception that oils cannot be mixed and that you can't change oils. Two cycle engines are tolerant and are not effected by the mixing of oils. There aren't chemicals in the oils that are going to interact badly, or clot up, or any of the other malarchy you've heard. Ask one person to cite one example that he/she has personal specific knowledge of (not heard from a friend who heard from a buddy whose uncle etc. etc.), it won't happen cause there aren't any. I will say once you find an oil that you like, there is no reason to go switching back and forth to others, but if it comes down to being able to go riding or not, use whatever is available. If you have a half tank already... you can just pour the new oil right in with it, it's not going to hurt anything. I think Amsoil even advertises that you can switch and it will mix just fine. Before I go any further I should say that if you have valves, you should use oil made for valves so they don't get stuck, but if you're 20 miles from home and your oil light is flickering and you have the choice of trying to make it home without adding oil or using a quart of straight mineral oil, use the oil, it's not going to seize your motor or anything silly like that. I've done this more than once.

I've mixed the following Bombi XPS and Amsoil Synth, Klotz and Polaris Gold, Polaris Gold and Amsoil, Polaris Gold and Bombi Synth.

I think the rumor that oils could not be mixed was to help the dealerships sell oil at very high prices. When mineral oil was prevailent, I believe Polaris oil and Cat oil were both made by Sunoco and were the same thing. You could also by 3 gallons of the same oil with out "cat" or "polaris" on the lable for the price of one gallon of "cat" oil.[/b]
While I do not have any experience with this oil, I will add my 2 cents.

I think that the clotting/gelling issues that everyone speaks of stems from the older days when bean based oils (castor oil) were more widely used. They were said to be more tempermental about mixing. The newer dino and synth. based lubes are compatable.

I do agree that you should not have a problem with mixing your new oil. Heck, if all else fails, e-mail Legend and ask them. Who better to ask?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I do not have any experience with this oil, I will add my 2 cents.

I think that the clotting/gelling issues that everyone speaks of stems from the older days when bean based oils (castor oil) were more widely used. They were said to be more tempermental about mixing. The newer dino and synth. based lubes are compatable.

I do agree that you should not have a problem with mixing your new oil. Heck, if all else fails, e-mail Legend and ask them. Who better to ask?[/b]

I spoke with the owner directly. He advised the draining method, and said it should be fine with all but full synthetic oil...Problem is, I am not excactly sure which Amsoil is in my gf's sled...I was told it is full synthetic...

As far as trusting his advice, it is impossible for anyone to have mixed with every oil, and every sled to see if there was a problem....A friend of mine was with his friend last year on a sled like mine...The friend switched oils, and he fouled 10 plugs in an hour....My plugs are $6.95/plug....Not too mention I only carry 2 spares....I may be making a mountain of a mole hill, but I sure would hate to have engine problems from this....I have always had Polaris, and always just ran stock Polaris oil....I am out of my comfort zone...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I spoke with the owner directly. He advised the draining method, and said it should be fine with all but full synthetic oil...Problem is, I am not excactly sure which Amsoil is in my gf's sled...I was told it is full synthetic...[/b]
You can add any oil you wish to the AMSOIL or vice versa regardless of which AMSOIL injector oil you have in the sled. All the AMSOIL oils are full synthetic oils.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I switched over from Polaris V.E.S. 11 fully synthetic to Legend ZXR2 oil three seasons ago - Fantastic oil!!!!!!
I drained my oil tank with a pump syphon, but left a little bit of the synthetic oil in the bottom of the tank so
as not to allow any air into the oil lines.
It says right on the ZXR2 oil jug NOT to mix with fully synthetic oil.
I drained out a full tank and used it in my Polaris PWC so it did not go to waste.
Better to be safe than sorry - best to follow the directions on the bottle.

Scott

·
Registered
697 Posts
I spoke with the owner directly. He advised the draining method, and said it should be fine with all but full synthetic oil...Problem is, I am not excactly sure which Amsoil is in my gf's sled...I was told it is full synthetic...

As far as trusting his advice, it is impossible for anyone to have mixed with every oil, and every sled to see if there was a problem....A friend of mine was with his friend last year on a sled like mine...The friend switched oils, and he fouled 10 plugs in an hour....My plugs are $6.95/plug....Not too mention I only carry 2 spares....I may be making a mountain of a mole hill, but I sure would hate to have engine problems from this....I have always had Polaris, and always just ran stock Polaris oil....I am out of my comfort zone...[/b]
I was the one who said no problems with mixing oils, but you reminded of one sled that I had 95 Storm. I had been running strictly klotz in it and it ran great, then one day in a pinch I had to use Polaris Blue, just to get me home. She fouled a few plugs in a short period of time, and didn't run quite right until it was back on the klotz. Ran like poop til I got it back on the klotz, but it didn't damage the engine, on the contrary it was a little too rich.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

Siphoned the oils out of the rev and supersport (XPS and Amsoil)...

Put in the Legend oil (it is red, very cool)....

Started both sleds and ran them around my house about 10 times.....They both smoked alot....Just did 300 miles on both sleds this past weekend...The first few miles both sleds smelled bad and were smoking....After that, no more smoke, and almost no smell at all.....My Rev was really stinky with the ski doo oil...The supersport was somewhat smelly with the amsoil....No more on either sled with the Legend....No smoke, hardly any smell!!!! Very impressed so far....We ran with 2 four strokes and a poo 600....The only sled that smelled was the poo 600....The Legend truly made the sleds like a 4 stroke as far as smoke and stink....Time will tell on the exhaust valves etc....So far, GREAT STUFF!!!!!

Thanks for all the input....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I hope you have seen the light! People are funny on the subject of lube. If people would just see the real world benefits from running Legend then the debate would be OVER.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have 8 gallons of Legend oil, zxr2, the synthetic blend....I am putting it in my 05' Rev 600 HO SDI, and my gf 550 Polaris Supersport. The Rev has semi synthetic doo oil, xps or whatever, in it...The Supersport has Amsoil HP full synthetic so I am told.....

My question is not if the oil si good or bad, but how you made the switch to the new oil....Did you fully drain, close to drain, just mix it all??? My plan is too use the oil in the sleds until they get low, then siphon out all I can and replace with the Legend oil....Experiences?[/b]
I completely drained my oil tank and started using this oil. So far so good. Great smell burns clean for a 2 stroke. Very worth the switch I think!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts