Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a two, three our four sided bulb the best and what color works best? I have a 2014 XF7000 and no need for a rectifier. I am thinking 5500K to 6000K is the best color. My main complaint is the low beam is too low and the high beam is too high. It would be great to fill in the gap. Anything over 35 MPH is over-driving low beams and highs are in the trees. I only turn the highs on when approaching hills. Anyone have a picture of Tomcats bulbs that shows the LED layout?

·
Registered
'20 ZR8000 Ltd
3,366 Posts
My zr 6000 on the right. There's a glass filter over the lens in this picture, if you take it off its white like the axys on the left.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
880 Posts
Is a two, three our four sided bulb the best and what color works best? I have a 2014 XF7000 and no need for a rectifier. I am thinking 5500K to 6000K is the best color. My main complaint is the low beam is too low and the high beam is too high. It would be great to fill in the gap. Anything over 35 MPH is over-driving low beams and highs are in the trees. I only turn the highs on when approaching hills. Anyone have a picture of Tomcats bulbs that shows the LED layout?
Set your high beam to the proper height. When you use the low, you are most likely getting light from the on coming sleds. I do have a 2018 housing off of a 6000. Guessing of course but think only difference is the wire housing. This is the improved housing. I installed the LED from Cat

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
Also put the 2017 head light housing in it. It fixes the spread issues. You should be able to find one for cheap. I think bdx was selling take offs for like 50 bucks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Call the guy at yamaheater.com. I bought HID lights from him for my 18 ZR6000 - works great. Also has a easy adjust knob to go with it, so you can dial in the headlight aim easily while riding

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yamaheater HID's are $200 with the adjuster. I do not need HID as there are LED bulbs out that work and are cheap. Just looking for some info on LED's. I just put some 6000K LED's in my Motorcycle and the work fairly well ($24 for the pair). They are two sided and and have a reflector in front of one LED on each side. They have a much wider low beam than halogen and high beam adds light in the center like a round spot light but does not reach much more than the low beam. Kinda fills in the center with a brighter spot. They work fine for my bike as I rarely ride at night and put them in as a safety feature to help people see me in the daylight. I believe they would be much better on the sled too. I am only looking for others experience with different style LED bulbs to help with my decision.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yamaheater HID's are $200 with the adjuster. I do not need HID as there are LED bulbs out that work and are cheap. Just looking for some info on LED's. I just put some 6000K LED's in my Motorcycle and the work fairly well ($24 for the pair). They are two sided and and have a reflector in front of one LED on each side. They have a much wider low beam than halogen and high beam adds light in the center like a round spot light but does not reach much more than the low beam. Kinda fills in the center with a brighter spot. They work fine for my bike as I rarely ride at night and put them in as a safety feature to help people see me in the daylight. I believe they would be much better on the sled too. I am only looking for others experience with different style LED bulbs to help with my decision.
The problem with the cat headlight ended in 2016. Before that the spread was wrong. Just adjust your high beam correctly. You only use the low for oncoming traffic anyway and probably daylight.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear you but I want LED lights. That said , I know there are bulb design choices that are better than others. I remember someone from HCS (maybe it was Tomcat) says his bulbs solve the problem but they were way too expensive. When on tight trails in the woods at night I need a good low beam that shines to the sides like LED's do. That won't happen if the stock high beam is adjusted down as the low beam will be 20 feet in front of the sled.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my 16 7000 I installed the 17 housing and Rocz HID's . They are superior to any LED lights I've compared to even the OEM. To work properly LEDs need a housing designed for them. Although bright they won't project far at all and are awful in snowdust conditions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Car Lighting District .com, excellent LED bulb does wonders for low and high as good if not better than the new headlights.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Oops. I responded to Wrong thread.

Thanks for headlight link though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'll be curious how a cheaper bulb works out for you. If I went with LEDs I was going to try the ones from Tommcat. Heard a lot of bad stories on the cheaper ones but I figured it was because people didn't match the right ones to the housing, and I don't know enough about how to do that. The HIDs worked awesome though. Looks from your link you are with DLS shocks - I think I sent the shocks from my old fusion to you a few years back. If so, great service!

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Do a search in here as I have posted my findings, triangle head works the best with the Procross headlight desing, don't let anyone tell you different.

These are the LED's that I have with Hi/Lo in all 7 of my Procross machines with 20,000 miles + logged on my last 2 machines with 0 issues. Also have installed in many friends machines with 0 issues. You can find a USA seller on Ebay sometimes which will ship much faster but are more money but all come from China and now we have no snow so no big rush.

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
I'll be curious how a cheaper bulb works out for you. If I went with LEDs I was going to try the ones from Tommcat. Heard a lot of bad stories on the cheaper ones but I figured it was because people didn't match the right ones to the housing, and I don't know enough about how to do that. The HIDs worked awesome though. Looks from your link you are with DLS shocks - I think I sent the shocks from my old fusion to you a few years back. If so, great service!
there is no matching of the right bulb to the right housing. there are only well designed bulbs, and poorly designed bulbs.
in order to mimic the beam pattern and spread of a halogen bulb, which is the goal since the reflector was designed around a halogen, the emitters on the LED need to be located in the right position, and the low beam needs to have the deflector over it, just like the original H4 bulb did.
the reason HIDs and cheap bulbs always do the same thing, scatter light and have no real difference between high and low, is because the location of the emitters is in the wrong location.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts