Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only taken this thing across the yard so far in order to park it in the garage. I let it warm up before I did it because I wanted to give it a good rip. I know I am going to have to lean it out because it felt like it wanted to stall, then took off like a bat out of hell. I know there is pre-mix in it but my gut is telling me that it will need a turn or two on the oil pump rod. I could do the job myself, but for the thousands I paid I feel like the dealer should make the sled run right. I know that if I bought a new car and it almost stalled when I hit the gas, the service dept. would fix it. Any of you out there had luck with your dealers leaning out your fuel/oil mixture as part of your post break-in check-up?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not going to happen at a Cat dealer. Warranty and service liability issues wont let them lean it out more than Arctic Cat "recommends", which we all know is richer than is really required. Be careful to run that premix tank out and go get some miles on her before you start to tinker with oil ratios.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My sled also ran like a pile until the first tank and about a half of the second take was thru it. Have about 450 miles on now ( in 2 winters what a good time to buy a new sled ) I now have the boondooker on it and never backed off the oil pump. Seems to run great and fuel mileage is better. I also get about 2 and half takes to one oil fill, seems to be the same as my old ZR500 EFI.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm going to push the limit and see exactly how many miles that I can put on before needing oil, with the lack of snow it's been a little hard, Only 1 trip to the UP and a few miles on the lake. Does anyone know how much oil you should use per tank ( average about 100 - 120 per tank )

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Not going to happen at a Cat dealer. Warranty and service liability issues wont let them lean it out more than Arctic Cat "recommends", which we all know is richer than is really required. Be careful to run that premix tank out and go get some miles on her before you start to tinker with oil ratios.[/b]

Ya so you can use more of their nice smelling oil. How much extra revinue do you think they get by haning the oiler two turns to much? I bet appollo1 your in at about 30-1 stock. One turn out is 5-1 so two turns your still got to -40C.

Reach in the intake with your arm. Take out the round tub by turning it. It is very hard to turn but you can. Reach in there with your arm and you will find a dam on the bottem of the intake. In front of it you will find a pile of oil laying in there. Wipe this out and keep an eye on it. This will load up your motor so much. This is there because of reversion waves in the intake. At the right RPM a wave comes out of the reeds then the read shuts. The air velocity stops and the oil drops out of the air and puddles in the bottem of the intake. Wipe it out and ride like an animal to keep it out of there.

Cheers Don.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dono - how much does the Boondocker change everything? I can't check the settings that I have in it because I don't keep my sled at home. But I did notice that I am using less oil then last year since the Boondocker add and never changed the factory settings.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I knew that the oil pump isn't controlled by the ECU. But I wasn't sure what the Boondocker did when you lean it out, must just give it more air instead of fuel? I will look at my plugs and make the decision after if I should take a turn or two out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya so you can use more of their nice smelling oil. How much extra revinue do you think they get by haning the oiler two turns to much? I bet appollo1 your in at about 30-1 stock. One turn out is 5-1 so two turns your still got to -40C.

Reach in the intake with your arm. Take out the round tub by turning it. It is very hard to turn but you can. Reach in there with your arm and you will find a dam on the bottem of the intake. In front of it you will find a pile of oil laying in there. Wipe this out and keep an eye on it. This will load up your motor so much. This is there because of reversion waves in the intake. At the right RPM a wave comes out of the reeds then the read shuts. The air velocity stops and the oil drops out of the air and puddles in the bottem of the intake. Wipe it out and ride like an animal to keep it out of there.

Cheers Don.[/b]
Thanks for the tip Don. I 'll keep an eye on that. I wish I could ride it so it could load up. I got about 8 inches at my home but not where I ride. I would be happy with 6 inches in the fields to start running the pre-mix out of it. I'm sure the intake will have a nice puddle after that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Check out these instructions; copied them off of this site last year. Be sure to firure out your ratio before you randomly lengthen the rod.

Cheers :beerchug:

[attachment=283517:Oil_Pump...justment.doc]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts