Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after checking my coil i noticed oil leaking from the bearing between the brake caliper and chain case. is it normal to have some leakage after 925 miles? checked chain case oil level and it's at the add line. should i add oil and ride this weekend?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
schifty,

I certainly don't think that your situation is 'normal'. Maybe the oil is leaking past the O-ring seal in the chaincase(#30in the diagram below) causing it to come out the back side of the chaincase?? Tha't my initial though....
-John

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Schifty,
I believe that this has been a problem on cats from day one?? I have a 97 ZL and a 2008 ZR 800 and both of them have slow leaks from the top of the chain case. I would ride it this weekend. Unless the leak is real bad. The dealer may not even be able to fix it completly. My dealer has always put a john deere bearing in there and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Either way don't let it bother you as long as you make sure there is some oil in there. The level only goes down a little in my experience.
Cat S.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealer can't get me in until the 27th that means two more weekends of riding. the good thing is i'll have more things broken by then for him to fix.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Our sons F-5 had the jackshaft bearing replaced after around 150 miles. The o-rings are built into the o.d. of the bearings. We have not seen any leaking since our dealer put the new ones in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts