Hardcore Sledder banner

lchamplon RN57YCC TO NGK

6K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  proxr441 
#1 ·
looking 4 the cross over from champlon RN57YCC TO NGK

THX STORM

#3 ·
BPR9ES NGK i have run them and had no problems but just change to champ's cuz i had them on the shielf.

if you buy champsgo to your local parts store and have them order them for ya........i think i paid 1.79 a plug vs. 3+ at the polaris deal. F-in crooks!! :bigfinger:

#5 ·
idk y but ive never seen ngks run good in the newer polaris twins?...i hate champion plugs as much as the next guy, and refuse to run them in anything but newer polaris twins.....just my $.02

#6 ·
The Champion is a multi-heat rang plug. The technology for this was developed by champion in conjunction with polaris, and is under patent. The NGK is a straight heat range plug that is an average of what the champion covers.

#7 ·
I have been told by people at Polaris factory that the ignition box on the domestic twins is set to run with the resistance they get from the champions and that the resistance from the NGK's is different so it does hurt the performance a bit. As Predator said, I am not a champion fan but I do stick with them in these sleds.

#8 ·
There was a good discussion on this in the Pro-X forum. (I think) Champs vs. NGK's. While I have always been a believer in Champs for the domestic twins, there was two posts that changed how I will look at them. One was by a .x racer from Alaska (AKIqPilot) who had experienced several engine failures. The next year his team mate made the switch to NGK. No failures. So AKIqPilot started watching his plugs (Champ) like a hawk. He had to replace them, after one or two races because under a magnifing glass, he could see developing cracks in the porciline(sp?) That year, one engine failure. This year he went to NGK. None so far.

Another was from Ripperd who also in the .x scene. Last year his 440 lost a cyl. to a cracked plug.

Now AKIq did make this disclaimer... They are running highly modified engines, running very lean and may not need the dual heat range plug.

So I thnk that a stock or slightly modded engine should still take the Champs. If you have modded it to the 9's then either watch your plugs or consider making the switch.

#10 ·
NGK doesnt make a plug that is an exact replacement for the OEM Champion plugs.

#12 ·
I have always run NGKs and was looking to order the BPR9ES that NGK calls for. This forum makes it a tough choice. I never was a big fan of Champions. They only run good in Chrysler products - don't they? I have all Chrysler products. :cn:

#15 ·
If you have a stock Liberty motor you are best served by running what the factory recommends!

If on the other hand, you are running a highly modified, non-factory motor, then you need to research out what plug works best with your motor build.

Just like any other aspect of building and maintaining a high strung mod motor, research is required into just what will make your motor package work the best for you.

This should in no way effect nor influence what the guys that are running stock motors run in their sleds.

A race motor is just that, a race motor! Any good mechanic is going to be pulling and replacing the plugs after each and every race anyways to keep track as to just what all is going on inside that motor.

#16 ·
I posted this over on Snowest, they're discussing the question of NGK vs. Champion. Just some more fuel for thought.

I can tell you what the physical differences are between an RN57YCC, and a BPR9ES are; The bottom of the ground electrode on the RN sticks into the chamber about .005" more than the BP(with same gap). Bid deal. I highly doubt this is worth any hp. I tried to screw these in my custom made 6061-T6 domes, and they would not go by hand, had to run a die on both to clean up the threads. The machine work on my heads is probably higher than stock though. I also noticed that the tops wobbled as you turned them in, meaning they're not real straight. The NGK's fit perfect, and don't wobble. Champion's quality control is the same now as it always has been....poor, especially compared to NGK's. Plus, I've read on HCS forums about the porcelian(sp?) breaking off in the chamber, and causing damage. If your fouling NGK's, maybe you too rich, or you need to run one heat range hotter. Why take a chance on junk plugs?

#17 ·
I just bought my '02 700 XCSP last March, haven't been able to ride it yet. Checked the plugs and it has NGKs in it. I know the guy who sold it to me was not into racing, hot dogging, etc. It has an SLP can and studded track but is otherwise stock (I think).

Can you damage your stock engine by running NGKs? I'm more concerned with reliability than I am about maxing out performance based on the kind of plugs I'm running.

Do the NGKs have an adverse affect on a stock engine, because they aren't OEM?

If it ever snows I'll probably run the NGKs and hope for the best! :div20:

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

#18 ·
I've never seen one post where someone has complained about blowing their motor because of an NGK and you wont notice any performance gains... I've personally never blown a motor because of a spark plug but with the champs i always noticed the crack on the porcelain after about 200 miles of use which was enough to get me on the NGK's, since switching to the NGK's i havent noticed any cracks and just replace them at about 350 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.