Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new tunnel bag and I'm hesitating between the Arctic cat model 7639-894 and 8639-030. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's just personal preference but I have one that a bit larger than 7639-894, i like that it collapses down when I don't have anything in it yet it still has a rigid lid. The zippers do get iced up while riding and when it's real cold you do have to be careful opening it cause you can easily break the zipper pull if you try to use it like it's warm. (I broke one of mine) good thing there are 2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just personal preference but I have one that a bit larger than 7639-894, i like that it collapses down when I don't have anything in it yet it still has a rigid lid. The zippers do get iced up while riding and when it's real cold you do have to be careful opening it cause you can easily break the zipper pull if you try to use it like it's warm. (I broke one of mine) good thing there are 2.
Thanks for the info! I really want a bag that's sturdy and that you can put a lot of stuff in when needed. Would be nice to go for an overnight drive without a backpack.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here is my setup. I just bought two new sleds this year
2019 ZR 9000 IACT
2018 ZR 9000 sno pro
I love the tunnel bags. give me ample room for the stuff i need (tow strap, medical, maps, belt, tools, snacks, gloves, etc).
The mount they provide is not good. cheap plastic and it doesnt lock easily. I made great mounts for cheap, but very rugged.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I changed to the stainless steel standoff (the aluminum stud is not strong) but i put a rubber washer to keep the steel from interacting with the aluminum tunnel.

Super easy to pull off whole bag and go into house or hotel where warm and dry. plus no stealing.

zippers on the bag are awesome and the bag is very dry. got a nice look too

·
Registered
377 Posts
Anybody have pictures with these bags on there sled?
Is there a difference in these two in terms of space? Looks like the 7639-894 expands and has a cinch system to tie down things inside, while the 8639-030 has more rigid sides and IMO looks better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i think they are both big but probably the -894 can fit more when expanded. I have the "look good" -030 on two sleds. I have never had problem with stuff banging around as I have too much stuff in there for that to happen! But the bag does have an internal hold down strap if you need it.
Items in bag
Tow strap
extra belt
tool bag
map bag
bag with first aid
bag with survival (epirb, firestarter, handwarmers etc)
extra gloves,socks

plus I always have room for some personal items, food etc.

it's a really big bag, keeps my stuff bone dry, and looks awesome! I like i can quick disconnect and bring inside with me. look at those little screws and plastic, flimsy. I broke one. that is why i replaced with my stainless steel design. gives me piece of mind when i am turboing thru the outback.

·
Registered
86 Posts
wow just looked on country cat. these bags have gone up quite a bit in price!

my friend just paid same for almost exact bag from Yamaha. thought he was overpaying but price of poker went up.

holds up well though if you bring inside. if you dont you may become victim to mold & mildew

·
Registered
377 Posts
wow just looked on country cat. these bags have gone up quite a bit in price!

my friend just paid same for almost exact bag from Yamaha. thought he was overpaying but price of poker went up.

holds up well though if you bring inside. if you dont you may become victim to mold & mildew
THanks for the info. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these tomorrow. Hard to tell from just looking online. I do want something easy to take off since we do saddlebag type trips. I may look into doing something like you recommended.

I had purchased a linq bag because of the easy on and off, but I didn't like the bag, so I'm back looking at the cat bags again.

Guy I ride with has that expandable bag, and he throws some straps over it just to make sure it stays in place. I thought the one you had might be better with the more rigid sides.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you wont be disappointed. It's a pretty rigid bag.

if you don't like the fastener method and want to go my way, the standoffs can be ordered from mcmaster carr, p/n 91197A430 (316 stainless steel). i add a locknut, rubber washers, and Hairpin cotter pin. order from mcmaster carr and it can be delivered in a couple days. then just drill standoff for the pin.
good luck

·
Registered
377 Posts
you wont be disappointed. It's a pretty rigid bag.

if you don't like the fastener method and want to go my way, the standoffs can be ordered from mcmaster carr, p/n 91197A430 (316 stainless steel). i add a locknut, rubber washers, and Hairpin cotter pin. order from mcmaster carr and it can be delivered in a couple days. then just drill standoff for the pin.
good luck
Bought it today - found a decent deal on ebay. Will look at the fasteners and decide whether to rely on them or not for this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts