Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since nobody is home for New Years and I have basically nothing to do I thought I would give you guys a periodic update on snow conditions. I have looked at the number of posts I have made over the last couple of weeks and I have made waaayyyy to may for this time of year. I should be riding!

This report is being brought to you from within 10 minutes of Wallet's bar on the Laurel Highlands ridge top route 30 Jennerstown PA

Snow Report: 8:00

No snow on the ground yet this morning. Light snow has begun to fall as of 7:50 a.m. Clouds to the west of route 219 are very dark and heavy looking.

Snow Report 9:00

Just received this email alert from NOAA. Snow has stopped here. All we have so far is a light dusting.

Doing the snow dance! :nudie: :nudie:

Issued at: 9:01 AM EST 1/1/08, expires at: 5:15 PM EST 1/1/08

Winter storm warning remains in effect until 3 pm est wednesday,
A winter storm warning remains in effect until 3 pm est wednesday.
Snow showers and locally heavy snow squalls will develop today as colder air moves over the great lakes and down into the region.
Snow showers, heavy at times, will continue from late this morning into Wednesday, with considerable blowing and drifting snow as west to northwest winds gust between 30 and 40 mph. Near whiteout conditions may occur at times with significant accumulations of snow likely.
By Wednesday, total snow accumulations should range from 6 to 10 inches in many areas, with locally higher amounts in the favored lake effect snow belt of northwest warren county, and on the ridges of somerset county. (That's me) :)
A winter storm warning means significant amounts of snow or ice are expected or occurring. Any travel is strongly discouraged. Those with travel plans in the warned area are advised to choose an alternative route, or should use extreme caution if travel is unavoidable. Carry extra supplies, including blankets, food and a cellular phone, in case your car becomes strande[/b]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Dvarmit, dont't feel to bad about the lack of snow. We got about 6" here yesterday and about 3" more this morning and it is still snowing. Good wet packing snow to.
Meanwhile I hurt my back and can not do nothing but sit here in my basement and look at my sled.
Happy New Years, and I hope You get some snow soon.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dvarmit, dont't feel to bad about the lack of snow. We got about 6" here yesterday and about 3" more this morning and it is still snowing. Good wet packing snow to.
Meanwhile I hurt my back and can not do nothing but sit here in my basement and look at my sled.
Happy New Years, and I hope You get some snow soon.[/b]
Kennard, Sorry to hear about your back. I am not sure I would be so apparently cool if I were in the same situation. Hope your feeling better and can get out there to ride soon!

Varmit

·
Registered
33 Posts
we got 2 inches over night in mckean, calling for 3-5 today-3-5 tonight-1-2 tommorrow. snowing pretty good right now. with the cold temps for the rest of the week, should get alot of riding inn this weekend :rolleyes:

·
Registered
695 Posts
we got 2 inches over night in mckean, calling for 3-5 today-3-5 tonight-1-2 tommorrow. snowing pretty good right now. with the cold temps for the rest of the week, should get alot of riding inn this weekend :rolleyes:[/b]
thanks for the posts dvarmit, I check um every day, I do plan to come up after school wednesday, if the conditions are OK
i also feel bad for the bad back, a few yrs ago I was recovering from surgery, with a new sled in the garage, not a good situation, but get your body ready first, and you will be able to ride soon, I hope.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the posts dvarmit, I check um every day, I do plan to come up after school wednesday, if the conditions are OK
i also feel bad for the bad back, a few yrs ago I was recovering from surgery, with a new sled in the garage, not a good situation, but get your body ready first, and you will be able to ride soon, I hope.[/b]
Don't know about this weekend. Henry, whom I am going to choose to ignore and stick with NOAA, is calling for record warm temperatures by Sunday. So, that is why I am taking a couple days off to ride. Hell, it could be weeks until we can ride again if it all melts. Saturday-43, Sunday-49, Monday-51. Then no snow until maybe the 15th.

·
Registered
927 Posts
hey dvarmit what is the conditions like up there. we have light flurrys down here in mt.pleasant.
looks like the club has a few inches on the ground.
this years riding doesn't look good. they are riding up on the anf to the north.
hope we can ride soon.. i don't like looking at my sled with no snow on the ground.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey dvarmit what is the conditions like up there. we have light flurrys down here in mt.pleasant.
looks like the club has a few inches on the ground.
this years riding doesn't look good. they are riding up on the anf to the north.
hope we can ride soon.. i don't like looking at my sled with no snow on the ground.[/b]
No measurable snow here. If we don't get enough ridable snow I am going to have an Arctic Cat yard sale. I saw the club and the Summit Cam and they do have a small amount of snow. We have a camp in Clearfield by SB Elliot. I called a friend in Grampian and they have 2 or so inches on the ground. If they screw this one up and we don't get ridable snow I am going to camp if they get enough up there. I'll take a couple days off to ride since it looks like we won't be riding anytime soon after Sunday or Monday. Just need to find someone to tag along. I will not ride alone up there.

Keep trying to talk the wife into moving to Alaska. She was in the Navy and stationed on Adak Island out on the chain so she hasn't fought me too much. Say's we would have to come home for a couple of months to get warm though. Heck, she was even doing monster job searches for me! :wub:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good luck on moving to the northwest. i see they have alot of snow.[/b]
Yeah, that's a little northwest...

I can't stand it. The warming hut is about a 10-15 minute ride so I am heading up there to check it out. I'll let you know what it looks like when I get back.

Authors note: The warming hut will pretty much look like the webcam but what the hell. Better than sitting around doing nothing but browsing the forums. :D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
post a pic when you get back.[/b]
I'd love to post a pic but the wife took the camera to Camp Lejeune when she took our Marine back yesterday. She will not he home until tonight.

Update 1:50 pm

Starting snowing steady as of 1:15 but somewhat light . Snow on the ground here and a little more up on the summit. Need a good heavy snow for a couple of hours.

Removed link is dead..

·
Registered
927 Posts
the family and i are going for a drive up and around the ridge. i will post some pics when i get back...
pray for alot of the white stuff........

·
Registered
263 Posts
Kennard- One more question

Would it be worth hitting Tobyhanna or Promised Land for some riding tomorrow? I'm in Easton, and it has been all rain so I have no idea what they have up there. Sounds like it should be decent for a day trip.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
695 Posts
well varmit, should I call an emergency day for tomarrow? I really want to ride and don't want to wait till 5PM on wed eve. The wife already said "I guess Ill see you thursday" What a girl (53)
Let us know, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wanting to ride.
Thanks for the reports :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well varmit, should I call an emergency day for tomarrow? I really want to ride and don't want to wait till 5PM on wed eve. The wife already said "I guess Ill see you thursday" What a girl (53)
Let us know, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wanting to ride.
Thanks for the reports :smiley-faces7:[/b]
Not enough to ride down here. Just got a email from Weather alert telling me that snow will continue into the evening with an additional inch of accumulation. Nothing about the 2-4 tonight and 3-5 tomorrow. Heck, I think these weatherman throw darts at the board to forecast the weather. If we get solid snow through the night with some good squalls we may be ok. Don't know. I plan on staying up late tonight anyway. I'll post back later.

·
Registered
695 Posts
ill be checking :lam: later and then again in the AM before I go/no go to work :dohdoh:
This si crazy, im even putting in those little guys, wow im bored!

·
Registered
927 Posts
here are some pics from two hours ago.
the field south of 31 parking lot.
two at the club.
31 parking lot.
the upper parking lot at 7springs.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts