Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
again I can see a lot of reasons,
one being many places DON"T offer the services of coating the under cartage with rust coatings,, so, just that alone will prevent most from doing so
another reason is, many folks that BUY 100K vehicles, don;t keep them long before they replace them, and many do so before factory warranty expires
so they could care less what happens to it after that, and most ALL vehicles will last there first 3 yrs, MIGHT not be pretty by end of yr 3, but most make it without a rust claim!
Next, lets face it in today's modern world, few folks are hands on tool turners, and most don;t do there own repairs,
which then means odds are they ain;t crawling under there vehicles to coat things themselves, add in again, few shops advertise doing it either,, and there for it doesn;t happen often!and well, that means not so much lazier, just NOT able to crawl under vehicles as they once could!

also, a LOT of folks that can afford the 100K vehicles, are OLDER< (largest percentage of snowmobilers are not young folks you know)
or again, they DON"T keep a vehicle long enough to worry about rust issue's

so that's a few reasons I can think of really fast and lazy or ignorance isn;t a main reasons at all IMO!
lot's of factor's to consider

I wish more shops did this service, it would really help a lot of folks make there vehicles last longer for them,
but then again if OEM"S offered some better coatings for SALT belt vehicles,
that would be a way better way to go IMO
but I doubt that will ever happens, they want resales, and sicne the majority of buyers don;t really complain about rusting out vehicles, the OEM"S have no reason top do anything better on rust protection!
even as prices climb,. folks are just BUYING them as fast as they can build them!
its even at the point now, folks are paying well OVER sticker price to just GET a new vehicle these days

something that NEVER was acceptable practice when buying a new vehicles to date, there was ALWAYS wiggle room on a window sticker,
so, if folks keep paying ore, and things sell as fast as they are, prices will keep rising, and there NOT better vehicles , just same old junk that doesn;t last any longer , just at higher costs to own it !
were deep in a throw away mind set , where folks are OK with buying over and over,
as to buying something that will last a long time
or a large population is this way!
they just don;t mind making payments I guess!
I can agree to some extent on vehicle manufactures not informing their owners to do anything about rust protection. However thats sort of changed when i bought my truck. I asked about the rust issues toyota has been having in the past replacing frames up to 10 years. Even toyota is getting sick of this. The dealer told me they recommend a shop down the street that will do rust prevention on your truck if you feel the need to, also saying that toyota has done its part, its up to you to keep to keep it clean during the winter months.
Well i took this as the same old bs they gave me when i bought my last truck many years ago. Ordered a bunch of cosmoline rp-342, and went at it. Wasn't that difficult job, just messy. So far after 2 salty years, all still looks brandy new.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
In 2015, I test drove a loaded 2 or 3 year old GMC Sierra Denali (I think) with only 7,000 miles. It drove great. When I got back to the dealer, I looked underneath and it was an ABSOLUTE rusty mess, so I bought a clean "southern" Ram 1500 instead.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
In 2015, I test drove a loaded 2 or 3 year old GMC Sierra Denali (I think) with only 7,000 miles. It drove great. When I got back to the dealer, I looked underneath and it was an ABSOLUTE rusty mess, so I bought a clean "southern" Ram 1500 instead.
I had the exact opposite experience...When I bought my new RAM the undercarriage/suspension was already becoming rusty...Disgraceful for a brand new truck...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I have seen countless BRAND new vehicles on lots, that have rust on there underside on frames and assorted other parts
and in the couple, dozen brand new vehicles I bought over the yrs NO dealer ever suggested I do EXTRA to keep ti from rusting out, minus a few that tried to SELL me some undercoating, and I passed on that stuff, seen too many fail and peel off, , to not want it!, and I also used to get a new truck every 2-3 yrs, so wasn;t worth my time to coat them to be honest!
never EVER had a dealer look at the under side of my trade ins either when doing so,, heck last one I traded in over the phone and a a few texted pictures, ?? HAHA!
I did coat my current truck with RP-342, as I plan to keep this one longer now that I don;'t drive so much(used to drive 50k+ a yr)
BUT I still say it shouldn;t be asking too much for a OEM to offer coatings or special coating or option for SALT BELT vehicles
they have CA emissions, they have SNOW Plow prep, duel batteries, and all sorts of OPTIONS<
why not off a rust coating and have it come with a LONGER than factory rust warranty
I think many folks would BUY it, knowing what salt does to vehicles
as if d one at say a FACTORY, I would think they could do a better job, like DIPPING a whole frame in a better rust coating, then adding a second coating when all together
there are coatings that will last a LONG time
I have ATV frames I did that get used for plowing and exposed to a LOT of road salt between plowing and being towed on an open deck trailer, they have been coated in crusty salty slush and ice for weeks at a time some times,
I coated them with POR 15 10-15+ yrs ago and they still look like new, NO rust at all
so when a GOOD coating is added RIGHT it can last a decade or more!
all the more so I say when vehicle are so costly any more, asking or EXPECTING them to NOT rust out in 5-7 yrs without US doing extra, isn;'t something we should HOPE happens
they SHOULD all last 10 yrs at a MIN friendly from the OEM, when trucks are a 100+ k, come one? its not asking too much IMO!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Took my f150 and the wife's civic in for undercoating yesterday. Great deal and they gave discounts and free cans of penetrant or undetcoat. On Till end of August.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
I guess if your in canada krown is the #1 rust inhibiter used up there. Being petrol based, kind of surprised its allowed. Thought you guys were more on the environmentally friendly side.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm going to take my 2020 ram in and get done before winter. When doing it's last oil change I noticed a bit of surface rust on some of the welds on the frame etc. It's just surface rust but I'd rather have it taken care of.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Again, I got to wonder why so many spend such big $$$ on tow vehicles and can't be bothered to apply Fluid Film (or an equivalent) or spend a whopping $150 annually on a Krown application (that includes a warranty).

And with the high price and long term negative effects of a Ziebart or Ziebart-type rubberized undercoating, why do people even get that applied to their vehicles? Is it just ignorance or laziness?
In regards to the rubberized stuff, it's a combination of ignorance on the customer and good marketing for the manufacturer. Anyone that is around the not shiny side of vehicles can see the difference. I'd rather have nothing on the frame than that rubberized stuff. At work I have a few semi trailers that were covered in that type of stuff. The rust behind that rubberized undercoating is mind blowing.

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
I'm going to take my 2020 ram in and get done before winter. When doing it's last oil change I noticed a bit of surface rust on some of the welds on the frame etc. It's just surface rust but I'd rather have it taken care of.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I've tried lanolin based fluid flim, its ok as long as you reapply it every year. I had my new truck done with cosmoline over 2 years ago. Imo, its the best way to go.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
At the price of these vehicles, they should be made of stainless steel in all areas. I realize they wouldn't sell new vehicles as often, but i mean for $80k- $100k for a truck, my god, it should run for my entire lifetime.... JUNK, all of it.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Not according to everything i read in the past with krown...its petroleum based. If vegetable based, its not going to hold up very long washing away.
You are right. I was going by what the guy told me at the Krown dealer, which was wrong. From Krown's website:

To protect metal from rust, a barrier must be created and maintained between the metal and the surrounding elements, especially moisture. This product is designed to create a barrier that can't be broken, chipped or cracked. By staying fluid, our petroleum-based rust protection heals back over after any abrasions providing lasting protection, even in extreme conditions.

I still don't know why people hesitate to spend another $150 (a little more than a single full tank of fuel) per year to protect their $50,000 to $100,000 tow vehicle.

A guy at work just applied Woolwax rust inhibitor himself to his new truck. He said the money saved was NOT worth doing this himself and said it was quiet the messy chore.

Reactions: too slow and mrbb

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,677 Posts
I did my 17' Ridgeline with Fluid Film and used their application methods. It was messy and smelled terrible. It's still good though and I reapply to the areas only needing it which is usually just the axle area in the back.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I still don't know why people hesitate to spend another $150 (a little more than a single full tank of fuel) per year to protect their $50,000 to $100,000 tow vehicle.

A guy at work just applied Woolwax rust inhibitor himself to his new truck. He said the money saved was NOT worth doing this himself and said it was quiet the messy chore.
again, its why most DON"T do it!

most folks don;t for one know about this stuff, nor are there any places near most to have it done, and most DON"T want to do it themselves, its Not a fun job, and to really be done right a lift should be used, and a good sprayer so you can do the INSIDE of your frame and not just the outside!

I think if more shops advertised or again dealers offered the option from say one
more folks would use this stuff!
but till then, most won't, just cause they don;t even know what it is, or where to get done!

closest place near me that does Krown's , is 2 hours away and there are only two listed I think only 1 shop in my whole state, as an example of HOW few places do it!

I did RP 342 myself to my current truck
I'd like to re do some spots again before winter, to be honest
as it to is NOT perfect, and can be both damaged and need touch up
small cracks in it many times are hard to see, yet can let salt get to metal
so, a second coat is always a god thing now and then
which is exactly why, most all other costings suggest re coating ever yr !

its a never ending game to try and keep salt from eating metal, if you live in a salt belt!

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
At the price of these vehicles, they should be made of stainless steel in all areas. I realize they wouldn't sell new vehicles as often, but i mean for $80k- $100k for a truck, my god, it should run for my entire lifetime.... JUNK, all of it.
Or at least galvanize the frames. Well i'm kind of cheap when it comes to vehicles...anything over $40k for a 4wd truck is off limits.

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
again, its why most DON"T do it!

most folks don;t for one know about this stuff, nor are there any places near most to have it done, and most DON"T want to do it themselves, its Not a fun job, and to really be done right a lift should be used, and a good sprayer so you can do the INSIDE of your frame and not just the outside!

I think if more shops advertised or again dealers offered the option from say one
more folks would use this stuff!
but till then, most won't, just cause they don;t even know what it is, or where to get done!

closest place near me that does Krown's , is 2 hours away and there are only two listed I think only 1 shop in my whole state, as an example of HOW few places do it!

I did RP 342 myself to my current truck
I'd like to re do some spots again before winter, to be honest
as it to is NOT perfect, and can be both damaged and need touch up
small cracks in it many times are hard to see, yet can let salt get to metal
so, a second coat is always a god thing now and then
which is exactly why, most all other costings suggest re coating ever yr !

its a never ending game to try and keep salt from eating metal, if you live in a salt belt!
No it wasn't fun when i did my truck with cosmoline. It was well above 90 degrees, and humid. I suited up in 3m coveralls head to toe with an old pair of goggles. I was already sweating my ass off an hour before puting the truck on jack stands, and taking all the tires off including the spare, engine shield plate, and rear bumper ends before i got to the fun part spraying the cosmoline on while watching it dip on everything, including the driveway, and myself. Imo, it was worth it not seeing any signs of rust appear yet. If it were my old truck you would have seen brown spots starting on the rear leafs by now with all the salt and brine we have on the roads.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I am sold on Fluid Film. I now have the Fluid Film 'black' applied every year. Looks great!!
I started off day one with new oil, then used oil, and for that past 15 years it's been fluid film EVERY year (sometimes spring and fall, probably overkill). I also started getting the unlimited Delta Sonic washes in the winter (pre-covid and work from home, lol).

Might sound crazy and overkill, but my 2001 Tundra still looks new today.

I'm sure Krown is just as good as Fluid Film.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts