Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
Do you guys wash your trucks?
For $25/month prepaid I can go through the local car wash as many times as I want.Going through a couple times per week when its sloppy really makes a difference.
I stay out of those places. I had a professional ceramic/glass coating job done to my truck thats suppose to be warrantied for life....which life idk...mine, or theirs? At any rate i was told never to wax the truck, or a need to wash it, which i haven't. Once in a great while i take the garden hose to it if the salt spray, or mud gets too built up. Its amazing how the crap just slides right off with the truck looking like it was just built.

·
Premium Member
21,872 Posts
I’ve seen a completely different experience. Neighbor has a new Toyota Tacoma, whatever the highest end mini lifted off-road looking model is, I think it was about $60,000, and he gave them $1100 to ceramic coat it when it was new last year. He thought he would never have to wash it. I laughed when he says it. He has been extremely disappointed. The truck is black and stuff does not just slide off

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
We don't have any emissions or inspections testing here.
well lucky you, don;t say this too loud, or you may soon be paying yearly for one like so many other states do(including mine where we have both emission inspections and state vehicle inspections, and NON are free folks, just mroe added costs on us with NO rewards seen)

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
I’ve seen a completely different experience. Neighbor has a new Toyota Tacoma, whatever the highest end mini lifted off-road looking model is, I think it was about $60,000, and he gave them $1100 to ceramic coat it when it was new last year. He thought he would never have to wash it. I laughed when he says it. He has been extremely disappointed. The truck is black and stuff does not just slide off
I've heard similar results depending on the shop that does it... not being on the level. I had mine done at an authorized simoniz dealership. Truck was there 2 days...1st day was all prep work on the paints finish so no imperfections were to be seen. 2nd day was applying their hard glass coating which seals, the paint and adds depth to the finished surface. If you look very close the exterior finish of the truck looks as if it has a hard transparent glass shell. I think this will add value to the truck down the road, plus what i really noticed is no paint chips yet...bugs, bird poop, and tree sap just wipe right off with no ill effects. It didn't cost me $1100 either. For $750 otd, its been worth it.

·
Premium Member
21,872 Posts
I want to say they had his truck two days as well, I don’t know if they did it at the dealership when it was new or if the dealership farmed it out to somebody else but we do have a Simoniz place in town, and it was $1100. He’s a fussy guy, use to wash his last one, towel dry, spray detainer, etc, wax as needed, same as any of us. His ceramic truck doesn’t keep itself clean. He still washes/dries/details.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yeah, but your not connecticut either. They spend more time trying to find new way's to raise revenue, than doing anything else.:mad:
Vt. takes cues from all the liberal states to the south and west. If our leftist liberal legislature sees a way to extract more money from the dwindling number of taxpayers, they do it. Oops.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
well lucky you, don;t say this too loud, or you may soon be paying yearly for one like so many other states do(including mine where we have both emission inspections and state vehicle inspections, and NON are free folks, just mroe added costs on us with NO rewards seen)
Some areas of the Wi do have them but the less populated counties dont.
It doesnt cost anything to have the test done where its required.I cant imagine that many people would put up with a fee to have an inspection done.

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
I want to say they had his truck two days as well, I don’t know if they did it at the dealership when it was new or if the dealership farmed it out to somebody else but we do have a Simoniz place in town, and it was $1100
Well if its simoniz at $1100, i guess putin would be the reason, everything else thats gone up is. My truck was farmed out to a simoniz dealership 2 1/2 years ago. Again i believe it comes down to the crew doing it.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I stay out of those places. I had a professional ceramic/glass coating job done to my truck thats suppose to be warrantied for life....which life idk...mine, or theirs? At any rate i was told never to wax the truck, or a need to wash it, which i haven't. Once in a great while i take the garden hose to it if the salt spray, or mud gets too built up. Its amazing how the crap just slides right off with the truck looking like it was just built.
I dont really worry about some scratches in the body.I just want to prevent everything underneath the body from rotting and the only way to do that is by washing it off.The problem with all of that spray on goo is that it can make turning wrenches underneath the truck totally suck.The underbody flush at the local wash does a pretty decent job of getting it clean

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Some areas of the Wi do have them but the less populated counties dont.
It doesnt cost anything to have the test done where its required.I cant imagine that many people would put up with a fee to have an inspection done.
million of people PAY every yr to have things inspected due to laws that require it to be legal
once the local Gov needs funding, they take it where they KNOW they can get it, as its like a double whammy
they get you one way or the other, as
if you DON"T pay the inspection fee, then they fine you for not having annual inspection,
the ONLY good thing I can say about having a legally required state safety inspection is, I gather without it, a LOT of very un safe vehicles would be on the roads here
as I have seen some of the vehicles folks TRY and pass here, and they have NO right to be on the road ways there a danger too all, brake pads paper this, brake rotor's paper thin, frames broken at rusted out sections
its pretty scary when you look at some of the vehicles folks drive on the road ways
as not everyone is up to the task of making sure things are GOOD On there own
ever watch the youtube vid's
JUST ROLLED IN!
have a look some time, it will amaze you what some drive
so, state inspections, good and bad, I would rather them be a free deal, but nothing is ever free!

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
I dont really worry about some scratches in the body.I just want to prevent everything underneath the body from rotting and the only way to do that is by washing it off.The problem with all of that spray on goo is that it can make turning wrenches underneath the truck totally suck.The underbody flush at the local wash does a pretty decent job of getting it clean
Back in the day i did car wash's throughout the winter. My trucks rusted much quicker when going back out on those salty roads, plus later i heard the recycled water those car wash places used are full of road salt. Imo, its one of the worst things you can do going to a car wash in winter.
They now sell products you can use to neutralize the salt underneath of your vehicle when washing it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My SIL does this for a living and for my birthday he did my truck. He came right out and told me NOT to go though any car washes. If I needed to wash the truck use a garden hose and gave me some soap to use that was formulated for what he did to my truck. He said was it with a micro soft mitt and to dry it use a leaf blower. I guess I won again as my wife went out and got me a Dewalt leaf blower to go with the batteries we already have. The leaf blower is used only for the truck, I have others for the lawn.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I've heard similar results depending on the shop that does it... not being on the level. I had mine done at an authorized simoniz dealership. Truck was there 2 days...1st day was all prep work on the paints finish so no imperfections were to be seen. 2nd day was applying their hard glass coating which seals, the paint and adds depth to the finished surface. If you look very close the exterior finish of the truck looks as if it has a hard transparent glass shell. I think this will add value to the truck down the road, plus what i really noticed is no paint chips yet...bugs, bird poop, and tree sap just wipe right off with no ill effects. It didn't cost me $1100 either. For $750 otd, its been worth it.
Mine was in for 4 days, but he also did do the interior

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
Mine was in for 4 days, but he also did do the interior
Simoniz did my interior which was included in the cost at the time they did the glass coat. Its got some type of warranty to protect against grease stains, fabric wear, and spills. I was more concerned about the exterior at the time. I bought some carhartt mossy oak seat covers for the driver side power seat, and passenger seat.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Again, I got to wonder why so many spend such big $$$ on tow vehicles and can't be bothered to apply Fluid Film (or an equivalent) or spend a whopping $150 annually on a Krown application (that includes a warranty).

And with the high price and long term negative effects of a Ziebart or Ziebart-type rubberized undercoating, why do people even get that applied to their vehicles? Is it just ignorance or laziness?

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,677 Posts
Truth is most people are lazy. Most will figure they'll keep the vehicle for at most 10 years. By then no one will care (other than the next purchaser) what it looks like underneath. After all, when we drive by a used car lot do we look at the undercarriage as we drive by ? Heck no, we're looking at the sides and the colors. Only once we actually decide to buy something do we say "oh lets see what it looks like for rust".

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Again, I got to wonder why so many spend such big $$$ on tow vehicles and can't be bothered to apply Fluid Film (or an equivalent) or spend a whopping $150 annually on a Krown application (that includes a warranty).

And with the high price and long term negative effects of a Ziebart or Ziebart-type rubberized undercoating, why do people even get that applied to their vehicles? Is it just ignorance or laziness?
again I can see a lot of reasons,
one being many places DON"T offer the services of coating the under cartage with rust coatings,, so, just that alone will prevent most from doing so
another reason is, many folks that BUY 100K vehicles, don;t keep them long before they replace them, and many do so before factory warranty expires
so they could care less what happens to it after that, and most ALL vehicles will last there first 3 yrs, MIGHT not be pretty by end of yr 3, but most make it without a rust claim!
Next, lets face it in today's modern world, few folks are hands on tool turners, and most don;t do there own repairs,
which then means odds are they ain;t crawling under there vehicles to coat things themselves, add in again, few shops advertise doing it either,, and there for it doesn;t happen often!and well, that means not so much lazier, just NOT able to crawl under vehicles as they once could!

also, a LOT of folks that can afford the 100K vehicles, are OLDER< (largest percentage of snowmobilers are not young folks you know)
or again, they DON"T keep a vehicle long enough to worry about rust issue's

so that's a few reasons I can think of really fast and lazy or ignorance isn;t a main reasons at all IMO!
lot's of factor's to consider

I wish more shops did this service, it would really help a lot of folks make there vehicles last longer for them,
but then again if OEM"S offered some better coatings for SALT belt vehicles,
that would be a way better way to go IMO
but I doubt that will ever happens, they want resales, and sicne the majority of buyers don;t really complain about rusting out vehicles, the OEM"S have no reason top do anything better on rust protection!
even as prices climb,. folks are just BUYING them as fast as they can build them!
its even at the point now, folks are paying well OVER sticker price to just GET a new vehicle these days

something that NEVER was acceptable practice when buying a new vehicles to date, there was ALWAYS wiggle room on a window sticker,
so, if folks keep paying ore, and things sell as fast as they are, prices will keep rising, and there NOT better vehicles , just same old junk that doesn;t last any longer , just at higher costs to own it !
were deep in a throw away mind set , where folks are OK with buying over and over,
as to buying something that will last a long time
or a large population is this way!
they just don;t mind making payments I guess!

·
Registered
997 Posts
As I said, Fluid film or Wool Wax every fall and I NEVER go thru a carwash in winter afterward. It's a bitch getting the overspray off every spring, but Dawn Powerwash, elbow grease, and an old t-shirt per vehicle gits 'er done!

·
Registered
48,097 Posts

Its marketing with the ziebart name that reels people in. They've created a name people identify with, being in business so long. When it comes to rust protection, imo, people are stupid, they have no clue what that stuff does to cars over time. No one ever checks whats underneath them.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts