Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2015, I had my 2015 Ram 1500 treated with Krown Rust Control. And after 6 New York Winters, it was like new underneath. I did have a small bubble on the front quarter panel but had my warranty paper work and proof of my annual re-application of Krown Rust Control, so Krown warrantied a new quarter panel and all associated body work and painting. Shortly thereafter, I sold the truck for not much less than a paid for it 5 years earlier.

One of my snowmobile friends has a 2015 Silverado, and the rocker panels and rear fender wheels are already TOTALLY ROTTED OUT. He bought the truck used just a few years ago, so he didn't have any rust proofing applied ...... the damage was probably already done.

My question is, with new tow vehicles costing $40,000 to $100,000+, why doesn't everyone in the rust belt spend the $150 per year to protect their expensive trucks, increase the vehicle's useable life, and increase the resale value???

$150 is chump change compared to the price of a new vehicle, if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Couple questions for you
What was the initial cost for the very first application done in 2015 ?

What were the subsequent yearly re-application fees per year ?

You sold the truck 2 years ago, why all of a sudden today are we hearing about how great the product is ?

I will assume you replaced the 2015 with a new truck around 2021/22...How much was the same service for the new truck 5+ years later ?

Thanks

Reactions: Hockeypuck

·
Registered
48,004 Posts
In 2015, I had my 2015 Ram 1500 treated with Krown Rust Control. And after 6 New York Winters, it was like new underneath. I did have a small bubble on the front quarter panel but had my warranty paper work and proof of my annual re-application of Krown Rust Control, so Krown warrantied a new quarter panel and all associated body work and painting. Shortly thereafter, I sold the truck for not much less than a paid for it 5 years earlier.

One of my snowmobile friends has a 2015 Silverado, and the rocker panels and rear fender wheels are already TOTALLY ROTTED OUT. He bought the truck used just a few years ago, so he didn't have any rust proofing applied ...... the damage was probably already done.

My question is, with new tow vehicles costing $40,000 to $100,000+, why doesn't everyone in the rust belt spend the $150 per year to protect their expensive trucks, increase the vehicle's useable life, and increase the resale value???

Trouble is most don't realize what happens to their vehicle underneath living in the salt belt. They go through a lot of effort to make the shiny side look mint, but forget the chassis underneath until its too late. You'd think they'd be educated by now that rust inhibiters are available ever for the diys'ers.

·
Registered
48,004 Posts
Couple questions for you

You sold the truck 2 years ago, why all of a sudden today are we hearing about how great the product is ?

I will assume you replaced the 2015 with a new truck around 2021/22...How much was the same service for the new truck 5+ years later ?

Thanks
I think if you used a cosmoline type product, this yearly reapplication would be mostly history. Those fluid film type rust inhibiters work fine, but if your negligent reapplying them, you'll get rust as they wash away.

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,670 Posts
Love my Fluid Film applied product on the 17' RTL ! I don't usually have to reapply much. It appears that most washed off area is actually the same section that has the recall on the old Ridgelines. That back sub frame area in the middle back of the truck. Must be a lot of water/salt/wearing action there. I reapply just using a spray can in the fall. The rest of the thing is still perfect from the 1st application. I have touched up a few frontal places of course but not like the big wash out area near the middle back. That needs a good respray annually. And my utility trailer I use gets the axle done every year with a heavy coating and paint brush. It needs it. That trailer is 15 years old (Galvanized like guard rails) and is rusty only on the axle. Not bad rust though. Just surface rust. But with FF on it it's not rusty looking rusty. It's metal looking as the air is kept from it and it changes color when that occurs. It's a very odd thing seeing how this stuff works. Same holds true on my hitch connection too. Spray it down and the rust just "quits" looking like rust and turns back to metal looking metal. Weird these chemical reactions !

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
well my 2 cents is that people are CHEAP and don't want to spend more money after already spending a boat load on a new vehicle
its like penny smart dollar stupid, but it is a big reason IMO
NEXT is, in my area, a super salt area, almost NO services are about for doing this stuff, and the ONLY one I know of wanted 850 bucks for first application and 250 a yr afterwards to up keep it
NOW if there were more shops that did this and it was WELL KNOWN< and affordable , I gather more folks WOULD do

BUT then again, on the flip side, WHY do auto makers that SELL vehicles in a SALT belt NOT offer this as a factory option, or better yet, why don;'t they offer better rust prevention coatings from the factory as a OPTION it!
I am sure folks would PAY more to get a vehicle with better rust prevention, all the more so when trucks today cost so dam much!
it shouldn't be asking too much for a truck to NOT rust out in 5-7 yrs as most do in this area with JUST factory protection, add in a ADDED coating , from there FACTORY to salt belt area vehicles, and it would be BIG selling point I bet for an OEM that did so!
I know I tread my vehicles, yet know very few about me that do!

then again, most folks today buy new vehicles so often, maybe they don;t care, as they know they plan to BAIL before it falls apart on them!
the disposable mind set so many have!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I had the KROWN coating applied to my 2020 Tacoma applied when new for $150.
Price is locked for that price for the yearly application, which I just had done again last week.

I plan on having the truck for a long time.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
BUT then again, on the flip side, WHY do auto makers that SELL vehicles in a SALT belt NOT offer this as a factory option, or better yet, why don;'t they offer better rust prevention coatings from the factory as a OPTION
There was a company called RUSTY JONES headquartered in Chicago back in the 70's & 80's...They had 3000+ dealerships at one time they provided the rustproofing for...They eventually went bankrupt in the late 80's after they lost their 3rd party insurance co that handled the warranty claims...Ziebart has also been in the rustproofing biz for over 60 years...

·
Premium Member
40,339 Posts
There was a company called RUSTY JONES headquartered in Chicago back in the 70's & 80's...They had 3000+ dealerships at one time they provided the rustproofing for...They eventually went bankrupt in the late 80's after they lost their 3rd party insurance co that handled the warranty claims...Ziebart has also been in the rustproofing biz for over 60 years...
Also 1 called "Dinol Tuff Koat" I had a 1969 car done with it and a 78 Camaro, both cars were sold to friends and look really good yet today.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I'm very glad my truck body is all aluminum. I know bare aluminum can corrode in its own way. But still.

I spray fluid film and paint brush it on every year. If I cant brush it I'll goober spray it in places. Takes 40 minutes. I can just not play a video game or watch tv for 40 minutes. Looks brand new under the truck still. Where you can see the frame at the rear wheels still black. I'm pretty sure it has a coating from brand new, but I want to take a look every year. Good time to give a glance at whats going on under there.

In the winter when I pay for car washes I avoid getting the underside spray, because that pressure could remove the coating. After winter I built an underside gentle car rinser. To get the salt off gently.

Fluid film does stiffen to a point. For an hour of work between my truck and trailer axle. Its worth it. 2 cans of fluid film is enough. $20 bucks for it plus $3 cheap ass paint brush. I just cant beat it. Some places charge like 250 for a coating. I'm not gonna pay that every other year.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/0...it-for-peeling-paint-on-chevy-and-gmc-trucks/
ive used krown as well on my 15 civic si. too each winter.not a peck of rust.

my girlfriends chevy spark shitbox is a 2019 and shes had the rear quarters done 3 times and now her rocker panels are toast.

krown definitely works and i swear by it, but there is a class action lawsuit underway on chev trucks 15-19 model years for this reason. krown may not have stopped it on those.

·
Premium Member
40,339 Posts
I'm very glad my truck body is all aluminum. I know bare aluminum can corrode in its own way. But still.

I spray fluid film and paint brush it on every year. If I cant brush it I'll goober spray it in places. Takes 40 minutes. I can just not play a video game or watch tv for 40 minutes. Looks brand new under the truck still. Where you can see the frame at the rear wheels still black. I'm pretty sure it has a coating from brand new, but I want to take a look every year. Good time to give a glance at whats going on under there.

In the winter when I pay for car washes I avoid getting the underside spray, because that pressure could remove the coating. After winter I built an underside gentle car rinser. To get the salt off gently.

Fluid film does stiffen to a point. For an hour of work between my truck and trailer axle. Its worth it. 2 cans of fluid film is enough. $20 bucks for it plus $3 cheap ass paint brush. I just cant beat it. Some places charge like 250 for a coating. I'm not gonna pay that every other year.
Guy who used to own the Bar down the road here bought a new Ford Aluminum body 2 years ago, he accidently backed into a concrete light pole at L&M Farm supply, didn't look like much damage but was $17,000 to repair, said they can't fix Aluminum so had to have the box and bumper replaced. He sold it now and bought a Suburban.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
the aluminum body only protects that from rust, all the nuts bolts and fasteners on rest of it are the same
But I do think its a slight advantage over steel panels in a salt belt
all things considered,
biggest issue with rust from MY experience is the frames and any place salt can build up and not be washed easily
I see a lot of folks treat the exterior on frames, but few take the time to spray the inside of frames
which is what is really needed to keep the frame lasting

and I have a friend with a local repair shop and state inspection station ,
he ells me more vehicles fail inspection due to frame rot over other rusted out parts!
exterior can look like new, yet the whole under side is see thru thin metal and rot!

I always says, a REALLY SMART(or greedy) lawyer could make a fortune by starting a class action suit against DOT'S for using Salt, and its destruction to vehicles!
as many DOT"S will admit the stuff is corrosive, like admitting they are responsible for damage to your vehicles! its NOT like we have a choice to NOT drive on road ways with it!

and all the more so with so many approaching the 100K mark and being dissolved in such short item from the salt and chemical solutions they spray here and else where!
but OH well, guess they will; says its our fault for wanting roads with No snow or ice on them? so so many can drive 80+ in dead of winter in a snow storm

and honestly, so few folks can drive as is these days dry on treated roads, if we went back to yrs ago, the crashes would be insane , like bumper cars going about in winter time HAHA guess there is not easy answer, unless OEM's step up[ with better coatings offered! and they have no desire to do so, this way things rust, you HAVE to buy again and again!

·
Registered
48,004 Posts
well my 2 cents is that people are CHEAP and don't want to spend more money after already spending a boat load on a new vehicle
its like penny smart dollar stupid, but it is a big reason IMO
NEXT is, in my area, a super salt area, almost NO services are about for doing this stuff, and the ONLY one I know of wanted 850 bucks for first application and 250 a yr afterwards to up keep it
NOW if there were more shops that did this and it was WELL KNOWN< and affordable , I gather more folks WOULD do

BUT then again, on the flip side, WHY do auto makers that SELL vehicles in a SALT belt NOT offer this as a factory option, or better yet, why don;'t they offer better rust prevention coatings from the factory as a OPTION it!
I am sure folks would PAY more to get a vehicle with better rust prevention, all the more so when trucks today cost so dam much!
it shouldn't be asking too much for a truck to NOT rust out in 5-7 yrs as most do in this area with JUST factory protection, add in a ADDED coating , from there FACTORY to salt belt area vehicles, and it would be BIG selling point I bet for an OEM that did so!
I know I tread my vehicles, yet know very few about me that do!

then again, most folks today buy new vehicles so often, maybe they don;t care, as they know they plan to BAIL before it falls apart on them!
the disposable mind set so many have!
Theres a shop in my state that was charging $40 an application for fluid flim to all toyota owners. I use to have my tundra done every year there, but it was a good hour, and fifteen minute ride one way. Even after 19 years the truck had a sufficient amount of surface rust on the frame. Back in 2020 i decided to do it myself using cosmoline rp-342, So far much different outcome. This stuff is far more serious to protect metal against washing away. Sure i spent nearly $100 for the cosmoline, but imo, after 2 years, i feel i've already made it back.

·
Registered
48,004 Posts
Both are garbage. Their coatings crack, or can chip. Rust sets in and spreads underneath the coating trapping salt, and moisture. Vehicles are nearly impossible to repair after.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Im a fan of the fluid film. Just buy the gun and apply it yourself..it's cheap...
I've been using it for years on the fleet of municipal vehicles I maintain. Summer's used to be spent sandblasting and painting truck frames and sander bodies...now I just give it another coat of FF. A five gallon pail is 120 bucks....I reapply it to the plow trucks during the winter as they come in the shop for other issues...frame rust is a thing of the past...now...if I could get rid of the emissions systems 😂

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I think the 2015 Ram 1500 was about $130 USD for the initial and subsequent annual applications.

I sold the Ram in May 2021. I guess just never decided to post this until I recently saw my buddies worthless and rotted out 2015 Silverado. I mean it is a 2015 and it is toast.

I bought my 2021 F150 in May 2021 and did the first Krown application in June 2021 for $150 USD. The second application last month was $150 USD.

Fluid Film and other products are good too and better than nothing .... although nothing might be better than that Ziebart crap. The nice thing about the Krown Rust Control is the WARRANTY which you won't get with a self application.

So at $150 USD, it's a little more than ONE tank of gas. So I am perplexed why someone would spend $40,000 to $100,000+ on new tow vehicle but not spend a paltry $150 more per year to protect it.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts