Hardcore Sledder banner

Klymaxx seat wedge halfway installed...

9K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Snowblind 
#1 ·
I picked up my Klymaxx seat wedge today and got halfway done with the installation before I had to leave for work. (Why does work always have to get in the way of your sled time?) So far the installation is going well. I have to drill six holes in the top of the tunnel for the lag screws to attach to the wedge. They gave me a template to do this but the directions are pretty unclear whether you have to put the edge of the template against the edge of the tunnel. I think this is the case. I hope so before I drill the holes. I placed the wedge down without fastening it down and placed my seat on top of it. Man the riding postion is going to be really nice. If anyone likes the ergonomics of the REV I think that your firecat is going to be pretty close to that postion. I am not done with the installation yet but just fitting it together on the sled there are I few things that I don't think I will like with the fit and finish.

1.) I don't know where they claim you will get extra storage. Your glove box is still the same size because the wedge has the same shape as the tunnel so your seat will connect right.

2.) Once the wedge is installed I don't think that you will be able to access your toolkit, because the seat is pretty tight against the tank.

3.) Once the wedge is fastened down I think that there are going to be wrinkles in the seat. This is what a really did not want.

4.) I think that there is going to be a gap between the front of the seat and the fuel tank because of the increased angle of the seat.

I will let you guys know how things work out after the installation is completed. I will also take some pics. and post them.

If anyone else has installed one yet do you have any input on the wedge???

By the way. Make sure that you warm up your sleds before riding. Went to the dealer today and there was an F5 that sh@t the bed. The dealer said that it was a cold seizure. Could it be another coolant issue with air in the lines???

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Burban,

I would have already bought my Seat Wedge and Isovibe (I figured the two would work great together for ergonomics) had my F7's top end not taken a bow on me...but I was still planning on both...Please keep us updated as you get it all done and pics will be much appreciated.

They were claiming the trunk would get bigger because it would add height to the hole, thus adding volume fyi.

I know SKYDOG was all over this too. ;)

#4 ·
burban-

Please keep us informed of how the rest of your installation goes and if you could provide pictures that would be awsome.

So far I have sold one of these, and the other one that I thought was sold put his order on hold pending your installation. (Although most of them are still on backorder until the end of this week).

Not to mention, I will probably base my decision to get one for myself on your findings.

If anyone wants to order one after (or before) burban finishes, I will be able to sell them for $150 plus the shipping, which includes the new tailight assembly.

Good luck Burban.
B)

#7 ·
Well i finished the installation of my wedge yesterday and after 40 miles of riding I am very pleased with the riding postion. If you like sitting up higher on the sled, or like the seating postion on a quad you will love the seat riser. For me the riser makes the riding positon much more comfortable. There is hardly no effort from a seating to standing transition.
The rest of the installation was very easy also. There are only 2 problems that still remain after the installation out of the 4. Unless I am missing something there is not any extra storage space. This is a little dissapointing because we all know how big the storage compartment is. You can still access the tool kit, and there is not a gap between the seat and the fuel tank. The last problem is that it put some wrinkles in the seat. I was not too pleased with this but it really is not all that noticable. I will get some pics of the finished product and post them over the weekend. Heres a tip that I used when I was marking the holes for drilling into the tunnel. The directions for the template placement were kinda vague. Because i was drilling 6 holes in the tunnel I wanted to make sure that the wedge holes were going to line up with my drilled holes. Quite frankly I did not trust the template. So what I did was took a little dab of grease and put in on the 6 pre drilled holes of the wedge then pressed the wedge down on the tunnel in the exact postion were it was going to be mounted. I then removed the wedge and there were six little specks of grease on the tunnel which I used as markers to drill the holes. The holes then lined up perfectly! :D

#13 ·
Well heres the problem with the trunk bag... If you install the Klymaxx wedge it comes with a new light that will be blocked by the trunk bag. Also the trunk bag uses the light to hold it in place. I think you can get the wedge w/o the light but i thought it was for a zr only. could be wrong.

P.S. Thanks outdoor shop for the good deal on the bag. Im still waiting for you to install it.

#14 ·
Burban,

Quick Question...you had mentioned the Rev's riding position a while back I think...is this like that or are you now just a bit higher (How high up exactly does it raise you) which is all I am looking for...

Basically after riding my firecat I noticed the transition from sitting to standing was not as easy as I anticipated and I found myself wishing the handlebars were a tad higher and the same for the seat...so I am thinking:

An Isovibe setup to raise the bars up a bit and the Seat Wedge to do the same for the seat...How do you think that sounds?

Thanks for all your trial and error.

#15 ·
I installed the Klymaxx Wedge on my F7 and have the wrinkles also. The 7 and 1/2" lift in the rear was a bit much for me so I am cutting the rear of the seat about 4". If you look at the vinyl cover, I'll be removing the lower portion of the black. This should solve the wrinkles in me and the seat. LOL

#16 ·
Originally posted by F7_Ditch_Jumper@Dec 12 2002, 10:17 PM
Well heres the problem with the trunk bag... If you install the Klymaxx wedge it comes with a new light that will be blocked by the trunk bag. Also the trunk bag uses the light to hold it in place. I think you can get the wedge w/o the light but i thought it was for a zr only. could be wrong.

P.S. Thanks outdoor shop for the good deal on the bag. Im still waiting for you to install it.
The Firecat Seat wedge comes with the new tailight included. With the Zr's it is an option.

#19 ·
I installed mine earily this week along with a taller handlebar riser. Installation was very easy , holes that are to be drilled lined up perfect with the template that was supplied. The extra storage is just behind the new taillight since it just snaps in with no tools required.
Haven't rode it with the riser yet but it feels more comfortable being up higher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.