Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 9000RR / 1997 Puma 340
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local locksmith and they didnt have a blank for my 97 Puma. I've got the original, but I want a backup in case it gets lost. I know the part number is 0609-412, but I cant find a blank.

Any help with the code or part number for a blank? I've found this on ebay, but its pre-cut? Am I crazy to think there is more than one profile??

Pic for attention :)

Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,347 Posts
You are over thinking it, same key in that era. I do believe there was an A or B in the top corner, mine are A.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine has an A in the corner as well. Does that mean my key can start any other sled from that era? Seems crazy

·
Premium Member
20,600 Posts
Any other one with an A, pretty sure. You can also just pull the wires off the back of the keyswitch and any cat of that era will run. Unless I’m mistaken and you have to pull them off and cross them together, one of the other, it will definitely run and everything will function normally otherwise. Open ignition versus closed ignition, I can’t remember how long ago they switched

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,347 Posts
All Cats 1997 and earlier run a closed ignition, with the exception of the 1997 ZR 580 that is open ignition,

·
Premium Member
20,600 Posts
Don’t buy one right away. I’ll try to look this week. I may have one. Where are you located? Maybe post a picture of yours. Setting on top of a nice ruler, in the event there are intact other “A” keys out there that look different. I feel like if the rubber cat logo knob on the top looks correct, and it says A, then it’s going to be correct. I know I have older ones where the logo is different

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don’t buy one right away. I’ll try to look this week. I may have one. Where are you located? Maybe post a picture of yours. Setting on top of a nice ruler, in the event there are intact other “A” keys out there that look different. I feel like if the rubber cat logo knob on the top looks correct, and it says A, then it’s going to be correct. I know I have older ones where the logo is different
Thanks, but I had ordered one last night off Amazon. :/

I "matched" my key to the one I bought on my PC monitor, and it looked like it would match exactly. I just really wonder why even have a key if they are all the same???? Really makes me think again about leaving it outside overnight when on a trip......

·
Premium Member
20,600 Posts
I feel like that era of a key is probably safer these days than it use to be. I suppose if you wanted to be fancy, you could install a hidden toggle switch (just spliced in to one wire off the key switch) that would prevent the sled from starting with or without the key, if flipped to the open position. I know a Polaris guy that use to do that in the 90s. Had a flip switch tucked above his foot. Another year, it was in his trunk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts