Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? Looks pretty cool on teh trail map; mostly forest/state land, less fields. Can't find much info online about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The trail runs mainly through woods and prairie. I can see your next post after riding the trail complaining about the fact that you cant cut the corners because the trees are in your way and you demanding the state goes in and cuts all of the trees down on the inside of the curves so you don't have to slow down.

On the plus side I am impressed that you finally found a trail map.

I guess your complaining yesterday about trails which I help put in and maintain pissed me off.

Xltboy

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, absolutely EPIC ride on saturday. Left from my place around 9am, went around west bend, trails were all pretty good except for some ****ing chisel plowed fields. We entered Corridor 5 around Kewaskum, and headed north. Trails were AWESOME. Some of them were extremely vertical and windy, there was one where you're on a ridge and the land falls off either side, and it snakes up a huge hill, wow. Stopped at Camp Dundee bar and grill and there were a ton of sleds parked across the st, good food/people. Headed a bit further north but the trails went to shit, so we turned back.

Now... the maps. The map showed a trail connecting the trail near sunburts mountain, but the trail no longer existed. Current map says it did. Had to ride the ditch over to sunburst to get back onto trail. Head home, and the maps just became more and more useless. I'll post my route versus what the map said in a bit, but I really wish southern WI would do a better job and updated the maps. We took so many wrong turns at unmarked intersections that it wound up adding about 1.5 hours to the ride home.

All in all excellent day, look for a video coming this week

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Wow, absolutely EPIC ride on saturday. Left from my place around 9am, went around west bend, trails were all pretty good except for some ****ing chisel plowed fields. We entered Corridor 5 around Kewaskum, and headed north. Trails were AWESOME. Some of them were extremely vertical and windy, there was one where you're on a ridge and the land falls off either side, and it snakes up a huge hill, wow. Stopped at Camp Dundee bar and grill and there were a ton of sleds parked across the st, good food/people. Headed a bit further north but the trails went to shit, so we turned back.

Now... the maps. The map showed a trail connecting the trail near sunburts mountain, but the trail no longer existed. Current map says it did. Had to ride the ditch over to sunburst to get back onto trail. Head home, and the maps just became more and more useless. I'll post my route versus what the map said in a bit, but I really wish southern WI would do a better job and updated the maps. We took so many wrong turns at unmarked intersections that it wound up adding about 1.5 hours to the ride home.

All in all excellent day, look for a video coming this week
Didn't we cover the map situation last year with you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Define 'covered'.

The maps are shit down here dude. You can pull out paper maps, or you can try polaris ride command. Neither are accurate. There are intersections where there should be no intersections, and sometimes the intersection you're expecting doesn't appear. Sometimes 4 ways a 3 ways, and sometimes 3 ways are 4 ways or 2 ways.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Example: Here is the official trail map in an area near me:

Here is that same area in ride command app:

And here is the actual route vs the ride command route. Some of it is closer to the actual trail map, but even that is wrong in a lot of places:

You can either admit this doesn't make sense, or continue to give me shit and ignore a valid issue.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Example: Here is the official trail map in an area near me:

Here is that same area in ride command app:

And here is the actual route vs the ride command route. Some of it is closer to the actual trail map, but even that is wrong in a lot of places:

You can either admit this doesn't make sense, or continue to give me shit and ignore a valid issue.
Your correct don't make sense. The guys that complain the most help the least. Remember last year you were going to join the club to help "Fix" the trail map you complained about last year.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Rode those trails in the 70's & 80's. Fantastic trails when they have snow. Moved to Stevens Point-Waupaca area 35 years ago and it was like going up north by comparison. Seems like we have their winters now with marginal snow and not even opening the trails some years. Might be time to make another move north once I am done working.

·
Administrator
20,659 Posts
Without trying to get into a pissing contest .... how often does the AWSC, or County, ask clubs to update their maps? Or is it 100% under the local clubs to decide & publish? If you're in a club, you likely have a region rep from the AWSC attend a meeting, don't you? Maybe it's different in WI than over here in MN, but our region rep attends several meetings a year with us (just last week, actually). That would be a good person to bring this up to if you don't know anyone in that county's club.

As far as Ride Command goes, I also have seen less than stellar results with that this season. Does anyone from your club serve as a Club/Trail Manager with the Ride Command app? If not, you can submit the information required and then provide updates to get the app more accurate.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Without trying to get into a pissing contest .... how often does the AWSC, or County, ask clubs to update their maps? Or is it 100% under the local clubs to decide & publish? If you're in a club, you likely have a region rep from the AWSC attend a meeting, don't you? Maybe it's different in WI than over here in MN, but our region rep attends several meetings a year with us (just last week, actually). That would be a good person to bring this up to if you don't know anyone in that county's club.

As far as Ride Command goes, I also have seen less than stellar results with that this season. Does anyone from your club serve as a Club/Trail Manager with the Ride Command app? If not, you can submit the information required and then provide updates to get the app more accurate.
Over the past 2 years clubs were requested to GPS their trails and send the files to the AWSC. This was communicated from the AWSC workshops so the country director or rep should have communicated this to the clubs. Cash68 do you receive a monthly magazine from the AWSC?

·
Registered
'17 XCR 800 / '18 XCR 800 SB
1,227 Posts

As a county, we try to do the map every 3 years.
I believe it is up to the county association to decide when to print the maps.
When their is a major reroute or major change in trail, DNR requests us to give them updated info. And possibly ride along with us. That's done with DNR county trail coordinator.
We toured the county with the DNR to get the GPS coordinates about 3 years ago. It was for their records to verify actual funded mileage and to work with Polaris for GPS data.
It's public records, so not sure how often the county DNR contacts Polaris or other 3rd party apps to alert them about new changes.

Yes, the county has a rep and director. There are 4 annual meetings that they attend, and they are encouraged to attend different club meetings in the county. All about communication!! Your county rep and director contacts are listed in the AWSC magazine.

If you have a GPS and ridden those trails, you could supply the GPS coordinates to the county. Just reach out and ask.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All good ideas. I'm going to email my club today and ask about signing up to be manager of ride command, and uploading GPS data to the AWSC. Cheers dudes.

But definitely hit corridor 5 if you can, it's pretty gorgeous.

·
Registered
'17 XCR 800 / '18 XCR 800 SB
1,227 Posts
All good ideas. I'm going to email my club today and ask about signing up to be manager of ride command, and uploading GPS data to the AWSC. Cheers dudes.

:bc:

You'll need to upload the data to your county DNR trail coordinator. They can send the data to Polaris. AWSC does not need GPS coordinates, only info on funded miles.

·
Registered
406 Posts

So if I understand this correctly, you are going to email your imaginary club and ask to be signed up for the imaginary title of manager of ride command so you can send GPS data to AWSC who has nothing to do with it. Sounds like a plan. Cheers dude.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
So if I understand this correctly, you are going to email your imaginary club and ask to be signed up for the imaginary title of manager of ride command so you can send GPS data to AWSC who has nothing to do with it. Sounds like a plan. Cheers dude.
Great point...what DOES the AWSC do in a progressive fashion?

things COULD be so much more tech advanced., save the old gaurd that pounded some posts and now just pound their chests.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Has anyone done this? Looks pretty cool on teh trail map; mostly forest/state land, less fields. Can't find much info online about it.
My first time through there was 1969. We actually put on a hundred and twenty miles through their Saturday it was probably my 20th x through there.
It's a great ride if the trails aren't beat up. there are alternative routes to go with great smooth trails when 5 is in the shitter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts