Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is soo sad, I have been a firm believer that 12yrs old is too youg to have the resonsibility of the power of these machines today. i would love to start a petition to regulate a graduated licenceing program, if they keep the age as 12 yrs old to get a licence, then regulate that it can only operate 200 cc max sled, then at 14 yrs of age you can be on a 400 cc sled and both ages can only go on the public trails while accompanied by a licenced driver 16yrs of age. at 16 and full drivers licence you can have 500cc or over as the same as the highway traffic act allows. This will benefit the manufacturers as well as protect the younger generation.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is soo sad, I have been a firm believer that 12yrs old is too youg to have the resonsibility of the power of these machines today. i would love to start a petition to regulate a graduated licenceing program, if they keep the age as 12 yrs old to get a licence, then regulate that it can only operate 200 cc max sled, then at 14 yrs of age you can be on a 400 cc sled and both ages can only go on the public trails while accompanied by a licenced driver 16yrs of age. at 16 and full drivers licence you can have 500cc or over as the same as the highway traffic act allows. This will benefit the manufacturers as well as protect the younger generation.

This is a sad situation. But it’s not because of the law a 12 year can ride a sled. The parents trusted there child with whatever size sled the kid was on. So they probably had faith in the kids riding ability. My kids are 10 and 12. They both ride 600s. Both of them have been riding since age 4. First 120 then Indy lite 340s. They rode 500 class sleds for a short time now there on 600. If I didn’t think they could handle it. I wouldn’t have them out there. We did 125 mile ride last weekend. No issues.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is a sad situation. But it’s not because of the law a 12 year can ride a sled. The parents trusted there child with whatever size sled the kid was on. So they probably had faith in the kids riding ability. My kids are 10 and 12. They both ride 600s. Both of them have been riding since age 4. First 120 then Indy lite 340s. They rode 500 class sleds for a short time now there on 600. If I didn’t think they could handle it. I wouldn’t have them out there. We did 125 mile ride last weekend. No issues.
My take on this... and you are correct with the parents being trusting... but if you are letting them run a 400 and larger class sled they should have to have an adult accompanyment on a public trail leading the way. there are reasons why the highway trafic act states you have to be 16yrs of age to drive a car/motorcycle and its a graduated licence soo not on a hiway unless with adult... obviously the governing body have done there psychological research to determind that at that age the mental maturity is at a minimum to be cognizant of decision making. these sleds now have the speed of cars with a hell of alot less safety features.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
When we where kids 12 and under we would drive tractors and even vehicles on the farms and back roads. With the generation of today I don't think they can go off of age to determine if someone is mature enough to ride alone.

Sad for the family and friends.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What about all the magazines pushing the big iron, even read an article where they referred to a 600cc sled as being a beginners sled WTF.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
It,s not the number of ccs that matters. What does matter, is the amount of common sense the driver of any sled has. Dumb sledders can get killed on a 340 cc sled. Driving a sled isn,t like playing a video game. If you don,t have the discipline and skill to safely drive a sled faster than your brain can process all the variables going on with being on the trails, then you need to slow down, pay attention to conditions, and hope the sledder coming from the other direction does the same.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
the week before it was a 14 years old girl... the same weekend as the boy and 10 years old was run over on the ice(he wasn't on a sled) and is recovering. there were half a dozen accidents that weekend and a few more deaths. it's been a very painfully stupid season for accidents and death this year. the rescue planes/copters fly over my place to reach those areas... for a while it was pretty much daily and depressing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
30+ years ago (when some of us were that innocent young age of 12)..the trails were much quieter with traffic, and the sleds were smaller, lower to the ground and a 600cc was a hypersled... most people had 400's - and i had the kitty cat, then the Bravo 250, the Enticer 300 then the monster..the Enticer 340cc. Obv that escalated quickly from there - 12 is TOO young for trails these days - i dont care how amazing your son/daughter is - it is not the same as back in the day - limit the HP per age group - you get caught out of that HP/age, the kid gets suspended for the next year and parent gets a fine/donation to OFSC. As p!ssed as some people will be, it could save their life or someone elses.
Condolences to this child's family - heartbreaking.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Sad for sure .

Last ride out I met a Guy who was bragging about his Son and how he raced X-Country Sled races. Kid had a brand new XCR. Kid also looked no older than 14.

Hours later I get behind them on the trails, riding down the middle of the trail. Father included. Even around blind corners. Then they get to an intersection , blow past it , then decide to try and turn around in the middle of the trail. No concern of the other Sleds coming at them both ways. Didnt even look. Stupid and dangerous move. Also while riding they looked like beginner riders at best.:rolleyes:

Not sure if an age limit should be put in place but some of these parents are morons putting them on high Hp Sleds on public trails.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
12 year old licensing (Ontario) is fine, and does not need revision. We have enough nanny-state nonsense as it is.

What needs to happen, is better parenting, like when we were kids.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts