Taken from the Peterborough This Week website:
Nice of them to condemn it now. I was there the last 3 years & I can't see why they couldn't have held off until the races were held. Reminds me of the bridge issue on the Seguin Trail a couple of years ago.The organizers of the Kawartha Cup snowmobile races have confirmed this year's event will be held in Lindsay.
The races would have been in Peterborough, but a City-contracted engineering firm says the grandstand at Morrow Park is no longer safe and it is recommending the facility be either repaired or torn down.
City's Community Services director Ken Doherty says staff supports demolishing the grandstand.
Race organizer Ken Avann tells Peterborough This Week there is still a chance the event will return to this city.
“Anything's possible. We've had a great time in Peterborough. We'd like to be there this year but at this time we simply can't.”
Councillor Len Vass says he's determined to do whatever he can to get the event back.
He notes he's had talks with Mr. Avann about expanding the races.
“We'd like to bring the big circuit to Peterborough and see it grow.”
Mr. Avann says the advantage of holding the race in Lindsay is that it's still in the Kawartha region.
But he adds there could be problems if this mild weather continues.
If there isn't enough snow for the Feb. 2 to 3 event, a backup weekend of March 15 and 16 has been booked in Lindsay.
There is snow in the forecast.
Environment Canada says there's a 30 per cent chance of flurries this Saturday and Sunday, a 70 per cent chance on Monday and there's more snow expected Tuesday.