Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from the Peterborough This Week website:

The organizers of the Kawartha Cup snowmobile races have confirmed this year's event will be held in Lindsay.
The races would have been in Peterborough, but a City-contracted engineering firm says the grandstand at Morrow Park is no longer safe and it is recommending the facility be either repaired or torn down.
City's Community Services director Ken Doherty says staff supports demolishing the grandstand.
Race organizer Ken Avann tells Peterborough This Week there is still a chance the event will return to this city.
“Anything's possible. We've had a great time in Peterborough. We'd like to be there this year but at this time we simply can't.”
Councillor Len Vass says he's determined to do whatever he can to get the event back.
He notes he's had talks with Mr. Avann about expanding the races.
“We'd like to bring the big circuit to Peterborough and see it grow.”
Mr. Avann says the advantage of holding the race in Lindsay is that it's still in the Kawartha region.
But he adds there could be problems if this mild weather continues.
If there isn't enough snow for the Feb. 2 to 3 event, a backup weekend of March 15 and 16 has been booked in Lindsay.
There is snow in the forecast.
Environment Canada says there's a 30 per cent chance of flurries this Saturday and Sunday, a 70 per cent chance on Monday and there's more snow expected Tuesday.
ptw[/b]
Nice of them to condemn it now. I was there the last 3 years & I can't see why they couldn't have held off until the races were held. Reminds me of the bridge issue on the Seguin Trail a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Isn't Lindsay the capital of "snowmobiling haters club".I maybe wrong but i thought they didn't want anything to do with sledding in their town....

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Lindsay does not deserve to have it. They are very sledder unfriendly. :uzi:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Those stands should be saved. That location is historic for snowmbilers, racers and race fans. That facility was on Wide World of Sports several times and the Kawartha Cup helped put Peterborough on the map. I stood in those stands in the 70's and early 80's to watch Polaris, Cat and Ski-Doo IFS sleds battle it out, Brad Hulings on his Scorpion, Jocko on the first twin-track, the stunt guy on the Polaris jumping through the wall of fire, etc. etc.

I was hoping to race in front of those historic stands, but I guess that little dream isn't going to happen now.

At least the stands in Owen Sound are still intact.....and not condemned.......for now....

Law suits have made towns and cities paranoid about any structure not built in the last ten years.

Phil.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Lindsay is the center of The City Of Kawartha Mistakes, aka f'n moronville. I use to do structural evaluations for the private sector for 20+ years before joining Feds. I can tell you here is a case of bad review/recommmendations and a lazy tax raising council making bad judgement.

I do not doubt that the stands are in need of repair or replacement. Did a car hit it?, a plane, mudslide or what. The answer is no! and the condition although poor has probably been that way for 20+ years. So instead of making a plan for repair or replacement they just shut it down. The millions in local revenue for the event now goes to Canada's #1 anti- snowmobiling community.

We need common sence to prevail but as long as Peterborough elects polyester clad politicians the economy and community will suffer.

I refuse to listen to Lindsay's BobFM. They call their local weather the "Kawartha's". They are no where near the Kawartha's- FN MORONS!

Thinksno

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking up @ the steelwork, it's all riveted together. The washroom facilities are only warm weather use. Port-a-lets in the winter. Sheet metal roofing for siding. No place to get in out of the weather if it's miserable. IMO, not much of a "historical site". I've been to a lot of races there as well over the years too.

At least @ the old Lindsay fairgrounds, you could go inside.

Yes, Lindsay isn't snowmobile friendly, but I think Ken wants to keep it in the area. I don't think there are any other locations where they could be held in the area properly.

I won't be able to go anyways as we'll be away that weekend.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I believe Ken wants it in Peterborough - very historic to have it at Morrow Park - but -

Grandstands have been inspected 4 times in the past year - yet they wait until less than 2 months before the ONLY event of the winter to condemn them. Sad but true. Welcome to Peterborough.
Rumour has it the city intentionally let them rot so they could tear them down without much problem as they are too close to the roadway now and they want to improve the Aylmer street entrance to Lansdowne.

The City services guy claims they "looked rigorously" for portable grandstands. Yeah, right.

My butt is seriously burning over this. So I wrote a nice letter to all the media and sent it to City Counselors. It goes a little something like this:

To the Editor –
Re – Kawartha Cup heading to Lindsay.

Well, once again Peterborough has hung the “Sorry, We’re Closed” sign out to tourism and tourist dollars.
First, we had the re-location of the tourism center to the wrong side (who puts their tourism center on the way OUT of town?) of the Parkway (a roadway that has taken 40 years to incomplete).
Now the city decides that in light of the strong Canadian dollar and a slow tourist season this summer that they will condemn the Grandstand at Morrow Park less then 2 months before the ONLY event to take place their all winter. At what point did the city feel that it would not be necessary to advise the event organizer of the situation? If there have been four inspections, why was something not said sooner? An event like this takes about a year of preparation, and to pull the carpet out from underneath it at the last minute is not only a bad judgment call, it is also bad citizenship. Did nobody at City Hall notice all the snow that had been trucked in there?

I think that Peterborough City Community Services manager Ken Doherty needs to start looking for a new job. He was quoted as saying “We explored rigorously whether or not we could find grandstands or bleachers.” What exactly is his definition of rigorously? The city stands to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars and all he could think to do is to call the City’s “Traditional Suppliers”. I am fairly certain that there are many other bleacher suppliers out there that would be more than glad to supply them for this event. (it’s not hard to search for one, I am certain City Hall has the Internet on at least one computer in there) The cost to the city of bringing them in would certainly out-weigh the potential losses that tourism operators, restaurateurs and retailers are going to suffer over this. I am fairly certain that the Morrison’s over at the Best Western are not pleased with the idea of losing 65 room bookings.

The City of Peterborough should consider itself lucky if the event organizer, tourism operators, restaurateurs and retailers don’t sue over this schmozzle.

Getting back to the Grandstand – if 4 inspections were done this year, why was the exhibition allowed to take place? If the city had knowledge it was in bad shape, and let people on it all this summer, then potentially the City put all these people at risk. (can you say class-action suit?).

As for the event going to Lindsay to the new fairgrounds up there – if the event goes up there, it will likely never be back in Peterborough after this incident. If you don’t agree, think of it like a date and your date calls to cancel just before you leave the house and gives a lame excuse – would you go out with them again?

I will make one last plea on behalf of this event and those who rely on tourist dollars – would the City and City Council to get in there and do the right thing and rectify this situation and keep the event in Peterborough.

Alex Lamore
Peterborough

GANG - PLEASE do me a favour and e-mail / call the Mayor's Office - D. Paul Ayotte
Chair Of Public Relations And Development, Co-Chair Of Transportation
486 Rogers Street, Peterborough, ON K9H 1W9
Mayor’s Office - (705)742-7777 x1870
Home » (705) 742-9835 Fax » (705) 748-8861
E-Mail » [email protected]

And here is the City Services guy if you know of any bleachers -
phone: 742-7777 x1873
e-mail: [email protected]

And here is the ONLY councilor to get back to me -
Patti S. Peeters
Chair of Housing
c/o City Hall, 500 George Street North, Peterborough, Ontario K9H 3R9
Voice Mail » (705) 742-7777 x4616 Home » (705) 742-4508
E-Mail » [email protected]

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I know you are correct that they let the stands fail so they could be torn down. Good try Alex on the letter but the only industry the poly clad council approves of are Wrinkle Farms and Tim Hortons.

Thinksno

·
Registered
144 Posts
Unbelieveable that they said there was no portable grandstands.

The large orange portable grandstands you see at just about every country fair or other outdoor events as well as many events held at shows in Toronto are owned by Paul Morton in Bowmanville. They have 18 sets of these portable stands each seating 300 people. They are all presently sitting in Bowmanville under two large coveralls, a 30 minute drive up the HWY 115 to Peterborough.
The Mortons have been in the stand business for years and are very proffessional and efficient at moving in, setting up for events.
Every fair board member within 200 miles knows about this service. You would think a city employee could figure it out.

The Lindsay Fair Board has recently hired a new proffessional Manager to operate and make the new fair grounds a success. As others have stated once the site moves it will be hard to get it back.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Those stands should be saved. That location is historic for snowmbilers, racers and race fans. That facility was on Wide World of Sports several times and the Kawartha Cup helped put Peterborough on the map. I stood in those stands in the 70's and early 80's to watch Polaris, Cat and Ski-Doo IFS sleds battle it out, Brad Hulings on his Scorpion, Jocko on the first twin-track, the stunt guy on the Polaris jumping through the wall of fire, etc. etc.

I was hoping to race in front of those historic stands, but I guess that little dream isn't going to happen now.

At least the stands in Owen Sound are still intact.....and not condemned.......for now....

Law suits have made towns and cities paranoid about any structure not built in the last ten years.

Phil.[/b]
Ah yes Phil, the days of hot Dr.Pepper!! heck i remember being a kid and watching when it was banked!! getting old.......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looking up @ the steelwork, it's all riveted together. The washroom facilities are only warm weather use. Port-a-lets in the winter. Sheet metal roofing for siding. No place to get in out of the weather if it's miserable. IMO, not much of a "historical site". I've been to a lot of races there as well over the years too.

At least @ the old Lindsay fairgrounds, you could go inside.

Yes, Lindsay isn't snowmobile friendly, but I think Ken wants to keep it in the area. I don't think there are any other locations where they could be held in the area properly.

I won't be able to go anyways as we'll be away that weekend.[/b]
revrnd1
I think your missing a couple of points # 1 old Lindsay Fair is no longer there. #2 New Fair gounds not acessable by sled unless you want to sled down Highway # 7. #3 The new fair gounds just open. I not sure if the stands are closed in. Johnny on the spots are warm if you breath is warm. Now called City of Kawaha Lakes don't have any idea of the money in Snowmobiling they drove the Trails farther from Lindsay & also one in town dealer to give up his sled dealership & close the Trans Canda Trail & put up houses before TCT could do anything about it. All over City of K Lakes they have closed down events of Snowmobiles in the past few years. Just ask the sled club in Fenlon & Birch Point Cats. I'm surprise, they let them back in Lindsay. It'll be the last year if the NIMBYs have anything to say about it unless the Avann's do a big pay off. Money talks. I hate Lindsay & I don't even live close to them. Over 1/2 hour away but still my Prop. Tax $ bail Lindsay out ever year. Not only driving sleds away, driving Busnesses away, Highest taxes in Ont. Only thing their noted for is Highest Pegnanted Single Highschool Girl in Ontario & their proud of it because they don't anything about it. They had that honor for years. But this is getting off topic. I've been in Peter Patch when there was 8ft. banks on the track & burning barrels for heat. Too bad they can't use it any more, alot of History there. Trails Dead end to Lindsay from North, West, South, & East too bad they missing out on alot of $$$$$$$ But the businesses must be rich, they don't even want our $$.[one Hotel on the west side kick the Trail off their property] Now the trail is a Con. away. Rampman

·
Registered
979 Posts
Unbelieveable that they said there was no portable grandstands.

The large orange portable grandstands you see at just about every country fair or other outdoor events as well as many events held at shows in Toronto are owned by Paul Morton in Bowmanville. They have 18 sets of these portable stands each seating 300 people. They are all presently sitting in Bowmanville under two large coveralls, a 30 minute drive up the HWY 115 to Peterborough.
The Mortons have been in the stand business for years and are very proffessional and efficient at moving in, setting up for events.
Every fair board member within 200 miles knows about this service. You would think a city employee could figure it out.

The Lindsay Fair Board has recently hired a new proffessional Manager to operate and make the new fair grounds a success. As others have stated once the site moves it will be hard to get it back.[/b]
Yup I agree - as I said in my letter, I don't think Mr. Doherty tried very hard - though he said he tried 'rigorously'. (what a joke).

·
Registered
979 Posts
The races have been held there only twice in the last 15 years....
Why is that?[/b]
Politics.

The races got the boot from Peterborough many years ago due to noise complaints. They then went to Peterborough Speedway and Kawartha Downes.

They finally got the races back to Morrow Park 2 years ago with the help of Councilor Len Vass (he's on our side folks).
Now that the event is getting established, the City pulls a bone-head move. Nice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Politics.

The races got the boot from Peterborough many years ago due to noise complaints. They then went to Peterborough Speedway and Kawartha Downes.

They finally got the races back to Morrow Park 2 years ago with the help of Councilor Len Vass (he's on our side folks).
Now that the event is getting established, the City pulls a bone-head move. Nice.[/b]

Is this thing even oval stuff I thought they are all snowcross :(
All the good racing got sic when Jerry Bunke died and then finally died with the twin tracker.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Is this thing even oval stuff I thought they are all snowcross :(
All the good racing got sic when Jerry Bunke died and then finally died with the twin tracker.[/b]
The original races at Morrow Park back in the day were Oval Races and they got run out of town to the Speedway and then things died off.

Snowcross was the revival of snowmobile racing in the area - appearing at Lindsay, then at Kawartha Downes and finally back in Peterborough 2 years ago - but now we are back to where we were over 20 years ago - fighting to keep the venue.

As for oval racing, it has been in a revival over the past few years - and there are now THREE races in Ontario - Eganville, Burk's Falls and Haliburton. There are modern classes as well as SEVERAL Vintage Classes (so if you remember the old stuff, come on out). For some more information, check out http://www.HighlandCup.com

Cheers,
AL

·
Registered
148 Posts
The original races at Morrow Park back in the day were Oval Races and they got run out of town to the Speedway and then things died off.

Snowcross was the revival of snowmobile racing in the area - appearing at Lindsay, then at Kawartha Downes and finally back in Peterborough 2 years ago - but now we are back to where we were over 20 years ago - fighting to keep the venue.

As for oval racing, it has been in a revival over the past few years - and there are now THREE races in Ontario - Eganville, Burk's Falls and Haliburton. There are modern classes as well as SEVERAL Vintage Classes (so if you remember the old stuff, come on out). For some more information, check out http://www.HighlandCup.com

Cheers,
AL[/b]
Thanks for the update Al been out of the loop for quite a while. We used to go to Marrow for Friday night snowpro in the goodold days been to Eganville once, would not mind seeing some vintage stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts