Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried putting K&N filters on the fuel injected RXL motor?

If so:
What did you do with the diode sensor that screws to the side of the air box?

Did you have to re-calibrate it for the increased air flow? If so, how do you do this?

I know they won't add performance, but they'd free up a lot of space in the engine bay and they'd look pretty cool.

Thanks

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,254 Posts
why? save your time and money

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,254 Posts
ok, then how about this, do what you want with your time, send me your money :beer2:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
<<<they'd look pretty cool. >>>

At what price? The heck with what they cost. You should hear how loud they are!
20 miles and you'll be wanting the air box back....

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
the K&N's will reduce hp numbers. rework your stock airbox. but if your set on the filters, build a rear support for the throttle bodies. if you don't the intake boots will rip in a matter of days. the loss of hp comes from ingesting hot air instead of cold outside air. other problems are the filters rubbing on the jackshaft and creating holes for lots of belt dust to sucked into the motor. Brian.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Originally posted by AKRAY4PLAY@Sep 15 2005, 02:12 PM
the K&N's will reduce hp numbers. rework your stock airbox. but if your set on the filters, build a rear support for the throttle bodies. if you don't the intake boots will rip in a matter of days.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=876386
[/quote]

Any experience with this happening, just curious.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is correct about reduced HP with K&N because of higher intake temps. Again, this wasn't about performance, it was a style choice. The deal killer is the fuel injection computer on the RXL isn't programmable, so if I did this swap, the motor would grenade in short order. Unfortunately, that's one of the drawbacks to the RXL and one the reasons I decided to part out this sled rather than pursue doing anything with it.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Originally posted by sbkdrew@Sep 16 2005, 01:28 PM
Any experience with this happening, just curious.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=878152
[/quote]

unfortunately i have plenty of not so fond memories getting several buddies' RXLs off the mountain. they all tried the filters, and they blew them up from ripped boots and/or misreading sensor. i also have experience with the 600/650 Fugi carbed triples that have done the filter attempt. the boots get ripped or the carbs pop out on big bumps. if you carb an RXL and advance the timing a couple degrees it will rip nicely compared to a normal 650, they did a good job on the ports.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts