Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally able to take my F5 sno pro out for it's first ride of the year. It's been sitting in my garage since October 1st.

The good:

The acceleration of this sled is unreal for a 500cc Sled, it rivals my old 670 ski-doo, but has much better hookup (no studs).

It rides pretty rough, and I wasn't able to adjust the rear suspension, I need to soften the ride quite a bit, the sled was trying to buck me off every chance it got when ever you ran into rough spots. People running behind me were saying that they didn't even see the rear suspension move when I hit really rough parts.

Now the bad. Day #2, I was running through the trails pretty hard, hit a hard spot in the trail, and when it landed it pulled very hard to the right, and almost threw me into a tree. I was only traveling at about 35mph, and nobody in my riding party was near me at the time. When I got off the sled, here's what I saw:

The tree it's sitting next to the sled is the one I almost hit.

Close up of the shock.

Out of the 4 possible Bolts that could come off of the shocks, 2 fell off, 1 was loose and about to come off, and one was tight. I checked the bolts before each ride.

I was able to find the bolt and spacer that fell off the shock on the trail, I assume the nuts were a few miles back.

Luckly, a person in our riding party carry's a bunch of extra bolts and nuts with him on the trail, and we were able to repair the sled on the trail (with out lock nuts) and continue the ride.

The shaft on the shock is slightly bent. If this isn't covered by the warrenty, I will be very pissed... :(

Five other things I noticed:

1.) Everybody in our group showed 70 miles when we stopped, I showed 86. I assume that my sled's odomiter and trip is off, I don't think everybody else's was off by the exact same amount (7 other sleds).

2.) The rubber stopper that the hood rests on fell out.

3.) Gas Mileage is great, my brother's 600 EFI was using almost twice the amount of gas as my sled ('03 Mountian Cat 144")

4.) The F5 either has a very small oil tank, or my sled really eats the oil. Before I even got one tank of gas through the sled, the oil light was on

5.) The Sno flap is always getting cought in the Sno Pro track. With in .5 miles of fixing the flap, it was back stuck in the track again, very irrating. This shouldn't happen in a new sled, good thing it's not studded, or the flap would be shredded.

Another good note, check out the picture I'll post of the "End of the World" spot right on the shoreline, it turned out great (picture was taken after I fixed the shock)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If you checked the bolts before you went riding, how then did they come loose?? There is NO WAY they can come loose on there own!!! ;) Were the proper nyloc nuts used and did the bolt actually reach far enough into the locknut?? Your dealer put on the shocks and it's possible they used the wrong bolts and nuts. As for the oil consumption, my F5 SP is the same and I backed off the oil pump (your dealer can perform this) and it's a little better now. I also changed the jets from stock 380's to 370's and performance is alot better (temp was at 18 F.) I'm at 175 miles on the sled.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Gunner F5@Jan 5 2003, 07:54 AM
If you checked the bolts before you went riding, how then did they come loose?? There is NO WAY they can come loose on there own!!! ;) Were the proper nyloc nuts used and did the bolt actually reach far enough into the locknut?? Your dealer put on the shocks and it's possible they used the wrong bolts and nuts. As for the oil consumption, my F5 SP is the same and I backed off the oil pump (your dealer can perform this) and it's a little better now. I also changed the jets from stock 380's to 370's and performance is alot better (temp was at 18 F.) I'm at 175 miles on the sled.
I guess they just "magically" fell off. Since I checked the bolts, went out riding, didn't stop, and about 30 miles later they fell off. They were locknuts, no clue how they came out. I'm sure it's dealer prep and they are getting the sled dropped at their door on Monday. I posted this as a warning to others and the general problems that I found with my F5.

I'm not saying that I don't like the sled, I had a great time riding it. Just a warning to others on the problems that I found with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts