Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told me that my my motor got very hot at some time due to the air bubble in the coolant. I asked how he knew it that it got hot . He just said that he could tell. Arctic Cat told them to put new rings in my sled and bleed the coolant the propper way. My question is what can happen to the rest of the motor when exposed to this kind of heat ? Will this effect the lifespan of my machine ? I bought a new sled to avoid such worries . I think Artic Cat should offer a free 3 year warrenty to people like myself with motor problems . If not I am going to be forced to sell my sled at the end of the season due to realiability issues .

·
Registered
23 Posts
mine locked up at 2 miles due to getting to hot-possible air bubble-? i dont know-after it cooled a removed belt and rocked clutch until it broke loose-i put 160 miles on after that but i am concerned what the dealer is going to do to take care-i did a compression test and 1 cylinder was at 132 and the other is 100-not good-when you brought yours in was the cylinders ok-?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know personally . They said they were ok . When I pick It up I am going to make them check the compression wile I am there. This whole situation just sucks!!! :angry:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
:eek: They should do more for you.... Call Artic-cat and see if thats it... Dealer could just be taking the easy way out

Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
These posts do not make sense. mission 6 did your sled fail? If the motor seized there is no reason the dealer would not replace all damaged parts. They don't even need to contact Arctic Cat about it. There is no benefit to the dealer or Arctic Cat no to replace all the parts that are damaged. Your motor will not have any noticible decline in service life when repaired correctly. Snowdog, if your sled seized in 2 miles you should have taken it to the dealer immediately. You engine is the one i would worry about having a shortened life. However if it went 160 miles after seizing you are probably going to be fine. Here is the reason. If the motor got tight enough to stop it is damaged the damage normally creates more friction and would almost always seize again almost immediately Your varience in cylinder compression does indicate a need for top end service.
Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just read my own post and I want to clarify that having a motor get hot enough to seize and then run at any kind of acceptable level for another 160 miles is something I have seen before though. Back in 92 I was riding a 92 Wildcat MC and the oil pump screws backed of and the pump fell off and the motor seized. we poured oil from the injection tank into the fuel tank and I rode the rest of the weekend hard and the sled ran well. Actually highmarked everyone in our group even after the seizure.
Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My sled died on the trail last sunday . They still cant find the the reason why it stopped running . When they were checking the machine that is when they noticed it had gotten hot . But they said there was no damage to the motor . Arctic Cat told them to replace the rings just incase . My problem is if there was no dammage how could they tell it had gotten hot. The whole situation is not making sense to me ether .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by nps@Dec 8 2002, 04:47 AM
I just read my own post and I want to clarify that having a motor get hot enough to seize and then run at any kind of acceptable level for another 160 miles is something I have seen before though. Back in 92 I was riding a 92 Wildcat MC and the oil pump screws backed of and the pump fell off and the motor seized. we poured oil from the injection tank into the fuel tank and I rode the rest of the weekend hard and the sled ran well. Actually highmarked everyone in our group even after the seizure.
Steve
I've seen that many times also. You can almost always get running again after a piston seizure if you work hard enough at it.. Crank bearings are another story ^_^

·
Registered
23 Posts
i think what happened is that i had air in coolant and when it siezed i went through another burp procedure on top of what i did to loosen motor-but the low compression is what i am worried about, it should be up around 145-150 is what i have been told-as far as riding it after the sled had siezed-i called the dealer for there input-they said to ride it, its under warranty-so i rode it hard after that-it is a very fast sled and i was very impressed withe the power and the way it rode-rear coupled to much so i adjusted the blocks to 3 but have not had a chance to ride it since then-it is going into the dealer monday so i will post what they tell me.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The dealer can hook up a diagnostic tester to the F-7 and this will tell them that the motor got hot, overrevved, etc. That is how they know that you got them hot. A good friend of mine is a Tech and he said that there was all kinds of informaton that they can pull off the sled. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
the ecu in the f7 records alot of info the old ecu's never did and you can replay ack what temp and how long it ran at that

·
Registered
10 Posts
The tech's at my dealership told me that the compression should be about 135 to 140 psi on the F-7. They should never vary more than 10 psi. If your running at 132 and 110 psi there is definately an issue you should address with your dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my sled is still in the shop waiting on backordered parts, they ordered 1 new cylinder, and 2 new pistons and rings-i hope the new coolant procedure works-but in my own mind i keep wondering when it is going seize again-hopefully not when crossing a stream or something-i liked the sled when i had the chance to ride it but i still have my doubts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts