Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AccuWeather News Headlines

This storm is still in the speculative stages; however, there are signs that a big southward shift of the jet stream will occur this weekend. In turn, that could trigger a storm in the Gulf of Mexico. From there the disturbance could turn up the Eastern Seaboard Sunday and Monday. The threat from this storm (if it does occur) is the possibility of snow much farther south than what has been happening lately. As a matter of fact, Sunday night and Monday it could be snowing in places that enjoyed temperatures in the 60s the past couple of days. More on this will follow.

Story by AccuWeather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist John Kocet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
AccuWeather News Headlines

This storm is still in the speculative stages; however, there are signs that a big southward shift of the jet stream will occur this weekend. In turn, that could trigger a storm in the Gulf of Mexico. From there the disturbance could turn up the Eastern Seaboard Sunday and Monday. The threat from this storm (if it does occur) is the possibility of snow much farther south than what has been happening lately. As a matter of fact, Sunday night and Monday it could be snowing in places that enjoyed temperatures in the 60s the past couple of days. More on this will follow.

Story by AccuWeather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist John Kocet.[/b]
Well far be it for me to dissagree with the weatherman, BUT I'll believe that one when I see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Let me tell you, if it shapes up correct that is the pattern that gave us 24" in both '96 and 2003. In 2003 McHenry, MD (Deep Creek Lake) got 51" out of that storm and my dad had to be rescued 1000 yards from his home on the sled. He hasn't ridden much since.

We can only wait and hope.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
actionjack, just yesterday I was thinking about starting a thread on the potential for the storm just to get some discussion and excitment going. I log on this morning and see that I was not the only one!

My son just called yesterday and he is getting some more liberty before he leaves. In fact, I am going down to get him next Thursday. This is the original thread for those of you who don't know what I am referring to.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=290191

Anyways, I didn't even tell him about the possibility of snow but he sure is hoping for some. I am praying that we get hit with this one.. Just one last ride before he leaves... just one..

So, I am keeping tabs on Henry's blog every day all day.... let's keep our fingers crossed!

Varmit

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Accuweather is currently posting a story reviewing that 1996 storm. Hopefully more than a coincidence! Big temperature extremes are what fueled that storm. Sounds familiar. That was before I was really into sledding but I had a 1980 Yamaha enticer 300. We had just dug the hole for our first home for the wife and me. My cousin and I rode for 22 hours, I estimate we rode, anywhere we wanted-nearly all roads including I-70 briefly, 350 plus miles. We did lots of visiting of friends and bars. We rode to Fells Point in Baltimore, we even delivered 10 pizzas to U of M Shock Trauma staff by sled from Pickles Pub.

These "Hope" threads make missing the snow even harder but I can't help watching them and the weather.

Dvarmit, thanks to you and your son for the sacrifice and service to the country. I'm hoping even more for his sake that we get some snow he can ride. Former Army here.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Accuweather is currently posting a story reviewing that 1996 storm. Hopefully more than a coincidence! Big temperature extremes are what fueled that storm. Sounds familiar. That was before I was really into sledding but I had a 1980 Yamaha enticer 300. We had just dug the hole for our first home for the wife and me. My cousin and I rode for 22 hours, I estimate we rode, anywhere we wanted-nearly all roads including I-70 briefly, 350 plus miles. We did lots of visiting of friends and bars. We rode to Fells Point in Baltimore, we even delivered 10 pizzas to U of M Shock Trauma staff by sled from Pickles Pub.

These "Hope" threads make missing the snow even harder but I can't help watching them and the weather.

Dvarmit, thanks to you and your son for the sacrifice and service to the country. I'm hoping even more for his sake that we get some snow he can ride. Former Army here.[/b]
Thanks to you for your service Actionjack! These types of threads can lead to big let downs but they are a lot of fun. I remember the storm in 96 when the state went to a state of emergency! WOOO HOOOO!

Where are you viewing this information? I am on accuweather and can't find this.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dvarmit,

I hope your son gets to ride! I know first hand what a good time on leave can do for morale. I spent 8 great years in the Marine Corps, two combat tours as well.

Coming home is always special, but being able to take part in a great hobby with family makes it even better.

Tell your son a former Sgt says hello, good luck and Semper Fi!

D.

One more thing-are you driving down to Lejuene to drive him back? I always found cheap flights out of Raleigh and was home in 3 hrs-just an idea

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
dvarmit,

I hope your son gets to ride! I know first hand what a good time on leave can do for morale. I spent 8 great years in the Marine Corps, two combat tours as well.

Coming home is always special, but being able to take part in a great hobby with family makes it even better.

Tell your son a former Sgt says hello, good luck and Semper Fi!

D.

One more thing-are you driving down to Lejuene to drive him back? I always found cheap flights out of Raleigh and was home in 3 hrs-just an idea[/b]
Semper Fi, Semper Fortis!

Yes, I am driving down Thursday and picking him up on Friday at noon then back we come.. He bought a Jeep Liberty in November when he was home for Thanksgiving but he doesn't want to take it down with him. :logik: To much of a pain he tells me.. So, he likes the driving part since he gets to spend time with us in the car. I actually enjoy it as well.. Once he gets home he always plans to spend time with the wife and I but love does strange things to young males. Hell, he was home for ten days over Christmas and New Years and he never saw the bed in his room... Always with the little lady.. That's ok, we had him for 20 years. It's time for him to build a life with the Corp and his little lady.. If that is possible.

We did find a cheap flight out of Jackson. I think it was around $300.00 so that is always an option. We spend that much on gas, food and hotels making the trip so it would be cheaper thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
When Henry does this shit it makes it REALLY REALLY difficult to NOT get EXCITED

Long Range - Sunday/Monday Storm
Wednesday, January 09, 2008

EURO HAS MONSTER STORM

I just got a peak at the Euro model and it has a monster of a storm coming up the coast. It tracks the storm from Mobile, Al to Philadelphia to Portland, Maine. On that track, the Appalachians get blasted by snow.
Updated: 1/9/2008 3:15 PM[/b]

·
Registered
252 Posts
So I guess it's time to start going insane for the next 4 days only to be kicked in the sack again? It really is time to get rewarded for all this hype!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Well, had a problem with my sled last weekend getting a last run in before snow melted here in NEPA, so if I don't fix it, it will definatly snow. Mabey I will hold off till the last possible second.....[/b]
You can fix it ONCE it starts snowing

·
Registered
554 Posts
ITS TIME FOR SNOW!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Well, he is at it again... one minute we are getting blasted and now... who knows..

1. The 6z run of the GFS model has the exact path I outlined in yesterday's post. Now, can we keep that path on the next model runs? The GFS can not make up its mind on the storm. The Euro remains consistent with the storm coming up the coast. In any case, I still think a storm is coming, and I like the axis of the snow from Knoxville to Hagerstown to Portland. This is becoming one of the more difficult storms given the on again, off again storm on the models....[/b]
:head_hurts:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, he is at it again... one minute we are getting blasted and now... who knows..
:head_hurts:[/b]
The last time Henry spewed that Hagerstown to Portland axis (which would hit me dead on) we got a nice RAIN shower. I'm holding all excitement until I see the white stuff coming down with my own eyes. I am, however, quietly reviewing/evaluating my schedule just in case!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The last time Henry spewed that Hagerstown to Portland axis (which would hit me dead on) we got a nice RAIN shower. I'm holding all excitement until I see the white stuff coming down with my own eyes. I am, however, quietly reviewing/evaluating my schedule just in case![/b]
Wise decision my friend... wise decision... Never hurts to be prepared :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts