Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have some advice on how to setup the front end on an apex to minimize darting????? My first ride will be in a few weeks and would like some advice on what seems to be helping on the ever lasting darting issue!!!!!!!
Thanks for any help!!!!!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Any of you guys have some advice on how to setup the front end on an apex to minimize darting????? My first ride will be in a few weeks and would like some advice on what seems to be helping on the ever lasting darting issue!!!!!!!
Thanks for any help!!!!![/b]
you will need to purchase either dul runner set up or new skis. dual runners will cure it but the handling will not be as good as a single carbide or dual runner ski. i run simmons skis and up in canada they work great. there is more than enough discussion on this site of the benefits of prescision vs simmon skis.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you will need to purchase either dul runner set up or new skis. dual runners will cure it but the handling will not be as good as a single carbide or dual runner ski. i run simmons skis and up in canada they work great. there is more than enough discussion on this site of the benefits of prescision vs simmon skis.[/b]

Not ready to run out and buy new skis. What about ski pressure? Transfer? Can you minimize darting with the stock skis is what Im asking???

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
You can eliminate most of it with your transfer rod (the stock setup was real darty on mine). It wil lift weight off on the straights and you need to grab some brake to swing it tight in a turn. All my sleds are setup like this and I like it. You might not, so set it up the way you like it and to your riding conditions (go easy after any changes this new mono skid can toss you quick if your not ready for it). I am set to 2 clicks past mid and it has good bite in the corner and good lift on the straights.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Not ready to run out and buy new skis. What about ski pressure? Transfer? Can you minimize darting with the stock skis is what Im asking???[/b]
on the frozen hard pack it will dart no matter what you do. minimize by start toeing out the front end. about 3/4" total should be a good place to start. transfer rod is your next area, keep the wrench handy as that should be done when you are out on a ride. the best thing to do is throw away the stock junk carbides and buy a set of dual runner carbides. if you set the front with minimum transfer the dually's will handle better than that. you spent $10000 what is another $400 going to hurt.
if you want the best from the sled it is new skis.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Go to www.bergstromskegs.com and after you read the website literature, give Scott a call and order his skegs and shims. They work real well on stock skis. Stock, there is too much tip pressure on the ski's. His setup will change that. I have 8" triple points with 1/4 inch ski savers and shims on both of my Apex's. Jay

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go to www.bergstromskegs.com and after you read the website literature, give Scott a call and order his skegs and shims. They work real well on stock skis. Stock, there is too much tip pressure on the ski's. His setup will change that. I have 8" triple points with 1/4 inch ski savers and shims on both of my Apex's. Jay[/b]

Thanks for the info!!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on the frozen hard pack it will dart no matter what you do. minimize by start toeing out the front end. about 3/4" total should be a good place to start. transfer rod is your next area, keep the wrench handy as that should be done when you are out on a ride. the best thing to do is throw away the stock junk carbides and buy a set of dual runner carbides. if you set the front with minimum transfer the dually's will handle better than that. you spent $10000 what is another $400 going to hurt.
if you want the best from the sled it is new skis.[/b]

I know how much I payed for the sled and dont really need to be reminded of it!!! That being said, thanks for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts