Hardcore Sledder banner

just bought troubled,'95.XLT special, Questions?

675 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  stormtrooper 
#1 ·
O.K. ,I bought a '95 XLT-580 for next to nothing. Now, runs like crap and looking for things that are typical on these.
2 right and center cylinders run nice, Clutch side floods but doesn't stall engine, Pull clutch side plug and still runs, unplug any other after returning it and will stall, Cylinder does have spark, weak but does spark. Mind you, I haven't checked compresion levels yet, just made sure it blew finger off hole. Thinking a good cleaning of carbs and new plugs should get it running right ,I hope. Did have one friend say that lower seal could be gone on clutch side, Any Ideas would be welcome and any one with expirience on these machines with any typacalities or possabillities would be nice. I do not have much $$ into it now but bought cause has great 1" shockwave track and fox shocks are good all around.($250.) Figured one of 2 things, Parts it out or get it going and let kids ride it.

#2 ·
Pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning. I'm thinking that if you got it for a steal of a deal I'm think the previous owner neglected it a bit and it probably needs some t.l.c. Lets look at the obivious first. I'm thinking you probably have a needle and seat leaking in the one carb if that cylinder is flooding. Again the sled is over 20 yrs. old so it's probably due. Clean the carbs, throw in a new set of plugs and I bet she runs like a top. You should see contamination around the seal if it's leaking, also it would look wet around that area too.

#3 ·
Pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning. I'm thinking that if you got it for a steal of a deal I'm think the previous owner neglected it a bit and it probably needs some t.l.c. Lets look at the obivious first. I'm thinking you probably have a needle and seat leaking in the one carb if that cylinder is flooding. Again the sled is over 20 yrs. old so it's probably due. Clean the carbs, throw in a new set of plugs and I bet she runs like a top. You should see contamination around the seal if it's leaking, also it would look wet around that area too.[/b]
Thanks, Think I'll do the carb tear down tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.