Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Those gen2 ves 600's had some good top end. I got clocked on radar on a nearby lake here at 111 mph a few times...one time was at 114, but i'm going to say that was probably a fluke. Even my first 05 600 edge did 105 a couple times.
Mine was a 98 with the big block 600. It would run up top, my guess is near 110 but like I said I cant confirm. I never had a gen 2 with a ves motor but I would still probable grab a 2000 xc 500 sp if I could get a nice low mile clean one for the days our trails are actually smooth. My 01 xc 500 sp would run 100 stock on gps on a long run. I have big respect for those little small blocks they were runners for sure.

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
Mine was a 98 with the big block 600. It would run up top, my guess is near 110 but like I said I cant confirm. I never had a gen 2 with a ves motor but I would still probable grab a 2000 xc 500 sp if I could get a nice low mile clean one for the days our trails are actually smooth. My 01 xc 500 sp would run 100 stock on gps on a long run. I have big respect for those little small blocks they were runners for sure.
Best speeds we saw from my stock 99 xc600 gen2 was 103 mph on good lake conditions. It had some clutching, and vforce reeds. I ran several 98-99 big block 600 on top end with my 00 600 ves. No contest the 00 600 ves sled would just keep pullling away right from the roll on till you had about 100 yd gap after a mile.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So, I just bought my buddy's 98 XC 600. I've ridden this sled a handful of times, This sled is way more snappier than my 99 XC 700. I know this sled also has the Kiehn D slide carbs and since the Kiehn carbs that were on my 99 XC 700 are sitting somewhere out in the woods behind my garage, I plan to add another 2 to the collection. Can anyone tell me what Mikuni Flat slide carbs I need for both? Also, I'd like to do some other mods to the 98, ideas welcome.
Properly tuned Keihins are better than racks imo. Did the swap and went back. The Keihins have a way better throttle response and use less fuel. I didnt realize it on my 700 till i jumped on my buddies stock 98 (i tuned and clutched both sleds) I couldnt believe how much better the stock carbs felt.

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
Properly tuned Keihins are better than racks imo. Did the swap and went back. The Keihins have a way better throttle response and use less fuel. I didnt realize it on my 700 till i jumped on my buddies stock 98 (i tuned and clutched both sleds) I couldnt believe how much better the stock carbs felt.
All i could say is they worked well on my 98, and 99 xc 600's, I use vforce reeds with them on both sleds. Those sleds were pretty snappy, and felt more revvy on the trails then my 00 ves 600 that was faster all-round.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Mine was a 98 with the big block 600. It would run up top.
You are right. One of the local clubs used to host radar runs on a nearby lake. Sometimes the track would be set up for 2000' runs. My stock '98 XC 600 always hit 104 on radar, which was about 10 mph faster than the Ski-Doo MXZ 583s and Cat ZR 600s at the same radar runs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
All i could say is they worked well on my 98, and 99 xc 600's, I use vforce reeds with them on both sleds. Those sleds were pretty snappy, and felt more revvy on the trails then my 00 ves 600 that was faster all-round.
I rode 2 identical sleds other than the carb setup, both of which I did the tuning and clutching. I never noticed the difference until I jumped back on the stock carb sled. That said, his keihins were in good shape. you cant tune out egged float towers. Friend of mine showed me a really good fix for those though, so ive been snatching all of them i can find.

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
Having those sleds for a season apiece i never had any carb issues as they can be worn out now. All i did were some minor carb tuning, and clutching along with installing vforce reed cages. The sled smoked 600 xlt's with pipes in 660'.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris Pro S 800
912 Posts
That said, his keihins were in good shape. you cant tune out egged float towers. Friend of mine showed me a really good fix for those though, so ive been snatching all of them i can find.
I had that issue on my 98 xcr 440 that i swapped a bb 600 to. I just bent the metal on the float and it worked fine for a couple thousand miles until i sold it

21 - 30 of 30 Posts