Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just bought my buddy's 98 XC 600. I've ridden this sled a handful of times, This sled is way more snappier than my 99 XC 700. I know this sled also has the Kiehn D slide carbs and since the Kiehn carbs that were on my 99 XC 700 are sitting somewhere out in the woods behind my garage, I plan to add another 2 to the collection. Can anyone tell me what Mikuni Flat slide carbs I need for both? Also, I'd like to do some other mods to the 98, ideas welcome.

·
Registered
48,006 Posts
So, I just bought my buddy's 98 XC 600. I've ridden this sled a handful of times, This sled is way more snappier than my 99 XC 700. I know this sled also has the Kiehn D slide carbs and since the Kiehn carbs that were on my 99 XC 700 are sitting somewhere out in the woods behind my garage, I plan to add another 2 to the collection. Can anyone tell me what Mikuni Flat slide carbs I need for both? Also, I'd like to do some other mods to the 98, ideas welcome.
I guess you use any of the later tm rack flat slides for a xc 700 or 800. I had those keihin's on my 98 xc 600 with vforce reeds. They worked very well for me when i set the sled up. I was use to having tm or tmx aftermarket flat slides on most the 90's sleds owned. I thought those keihin d slides worked pretty good....lot better than the round slides my 96 ultra had.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I ran a set if d slides with the power packs I think they were called, and the leaner needles (was on a 700) and they worked just fine.
I ran carbon tech reed pedals and a boost bottle on my 98 xc 600 and it was just fine also. The 600 was a ripper. Big top end on it for a stocker, handled really good on a smooth trail. It would kick the snot out of my brand new 2005 xc700. And that 600 sounded sweet for stock exhaust. Only thing it needed was a 700 ves top end put on it, but I miled the sled out before I ever bothered.

·
Registered
48,006 Posts
It depended how the xc700 was setup in 98-99. My xc 98 and 99 big block 600's were about 2-3 sleds slower than well setup 700's in 1000'. Different outcome with my 00 ves 600 vs. the 00 xc700 and older models, that sled would smoke them from the get go. All those extra 10 sleds sucked as far as ride comfort. They handled well, but suck when it got rough.

·
Registered
48,006 Posts
There's a new mod available for the Keihin carbs.

I wonder why they went to a keihin carb on the ktm 125. I had a dell-orto carb on my 125. They worked very well.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It depended how the xc700 was setup in 98-99. My xc 98 and 99 big block 600's were about 2-3 sleds slower than well setup 700's in 1000'. Different outcome with my 00 ves 600 vs. the 00 xc700 and older models, that sled would smoke them from the get go. All those extra 10 sleds sucked as far as ride comfort. They handled well, but suck when it got rough.
What do you mean extra-10 didn't offer ride comfort, it was easily better than: nothing, bogie wheels, 2x4 lumber for shocks, riding a crazy carpet at speed.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
There's a new mod available for the Keihin carbs.

They dont list it for the pwk 39.5 carbs used on the xc.
I believe the parts from the pwk 38 would interchange but Im not positive.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris Pro S 800
908 Posts
What do you mean extra-10 didn't offer ride comfort, it was easily better than: nothing, bogie wheels, 2x4 lumber for shocks, riding a crazy carpet at speed.
Everyone is so spoiled and expects the best or nothing it seens.
Ill get on my 73 charger 400 and ride it all day. You guys (or gals should i say) are such wimps these days

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Everyone is so spoiled and expects the best or nothing it seens.
Ill get on my 73 charger 400 and ride it all day. You guys (or gals should i say) are such wimps these days
You can climb off the high horse any time and have some fun with the rest of us. I have owned old sleds, I still ride old sleds at times. I did my time on olympics, sno-jets, kawasakis and old indy trails. I will ride a better riding machine any day if I can. And none of those sleds were on table top smooth groomed trails, it was wind swept prairies on concrete hard snow drifts.

I dont think you understood what was being discussed. We aren't trashing the old sleds, were reminiscing how rough riding they were compared to other stuff of the vintage, and more modern stuff.
I wouldn't call that spoiled. I mean we all took to fuel injection on our cars and trucks pretty easily.... except I ran a carb truck until 2 years ago when I got spoiled and bought a vehicle from 2007.

·
Registered
48,006 Posts
You can climb off the high horse any time and have some fun with the rest of us. I have owned old sleds, I still ride old sleds at times. I did my time on olympics, sno-jets, kawasakis and old indy trails. I will ride a better riding machine any day if I can. And none of those sleds were on table top smooth groomed trails, it was wind swept prairies on concrete hard snow drifts.

I dont think you understood what was being discussed. We aren't trashing the old sleds, were reminiscing how rough riding they were compared to other stuff of the vintage, and more modern stuff.
I wouldn't call that spoiled. I mean we all took to fuel injection on our cars and trucks pretty easily.... except I ran a carb truck until 2 years ago when I got spoiled and bought a vehicle from 2007.
I still prefer carbs....their so easy to work with. As far as fuel injection...had no choice, but to except it, or keep the old iron.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I still prefer carbs....their so easy to work with. As far as fuel injection...had no choice, but to except it, or keep the old iron.
I do agree. But on the vehicle end its been a nice change since for the most part they are very reliable. And to be honest on the sled side, it has let me stop worrying about jetting for changing conditions trying to get every last bit of performance and just enjoy the ride.....and then they break and the trouble starts. If they could make sleds half as reliable as the automotive stuff I would be happy.

·
Registered
48,006 Posts
On vehicles that are everyday drivers fuel injection is fine, i agree, but when it comes to my toys, gotta have carbs. jetting was never ever an issue with me running a stock trail sled. It was the mod ones with bigger bored cylinders, opened up carbs, pipes, and porting that could drive you to hammer down some beers after an engine failure a few hundered miles into a trip.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris Pro S 800
908 Posts
On vehicles that are everyday drivers fuel injection is fine, i agree, but when it comes to my toys, gotta have carbs. jetting was never ever an issue with me running a stock trail sled. It was the mod ones with bigger bored cylinders, opened up carbs, pipes, and porting that could drive you to hammer down some beers after an engine failure a few hundered miles into a trip.
What do you ride these days? Still the 05 xc 600?

·
Registered
2018 Polaris Pro S 800
908 Posts
The funny part is I remember when I thought the x10 was so high off the ground that it was too tippy compared to the earlier 8” suspension🤣
I always liked the 8" for riding the river. Low center of gravity is always a plus on tight corners.
I still think an xtra 10 rides just fine on groomed trails too

·
Registered
48,006 Posts
I always liked the 8" for riding the river. Low center of gravity is always a plus on tight corners.
I still think an xtra 10 rides just fine on groomed trails too
The extra 10 was ok for nicely groomed trails, but when they got rough turning into mogul city, same for rivers with blocks of ice heaves, and 2ft moguls. We use to race down sections of them in quebec at over a c-note on those sleds. You hit a rough section too late to back off at those speeds, all you could do is hang on, and hope the best you landed upright. Handling on my 00 600 ves was the best of all my stock trail sleds. I rode with guys on other brands that crashed trying to keep up.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The extra 10 was ok for nicely groomed trails, but when they got rough turning into mogul city, same for rivers with blocks of ice heaves, and 2ft moguls. We use to race down sections of them in quebec at over a c-note on those sleds. You hit a rough section too late to back off at those speeds, all you could do is hang on, and hope the best you landed upright. Handling on my 00 600 ves was the best of all my stock trail sleds. I rode with guys on other brands that crashed trying to keep up.
I remember the front end getting very light on mine over bumps with the speedo needle wrapped a long way past 100, so probably a good solid 100 plus mph. Never had a GPS or anything to measure back then.

·
Registered
48,006 Posts
I remember the front end getting very light on mine over bumps with the speedo needle wrapped a long way past 100, so probably a good solid 100 plus mph. Never had a GPS or anything to measure back then.
Those gen2 ves 600's had some good top end. I got clocked on radar on a nearby lake here at 111 mph a few times...one time was at 114, but i'm going to say that was probably a fluke. Even my first 05 600 edge did 105 a couple times.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts