Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 t-Cat and it is all stock besides a clutch kit. I am looking to do some minor mods to the sled to get maximium performance so I want people's opinions on what works and does not work.

The mods I am considering are:
.020 timing key?
2001 or newer CDI with no timing key?
Remove air shelf from airbox?
Power breather?
Mill heads to Minimium factor spec's of .070 from the .093 that it is at now?
V-force reeds?
Temp flow?
Other mods???

Please let me know what your experience with these modification has been?

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
522 Posts
for the cdi don,t paid for 01 cdi because the timing curve of the cdi is about 3 degree ,and at 8200rpm the degree of timing is the same (00-01) put 3 degree key!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by green thunder@Oct 2 2005, 12:06 PM
for the cdi    don,t paid  for 01 cdi    because the timing curve of the cdi is about 3 degree ,and at 8200rpm the degree of timing is the same (00-01)  put 3 degree key!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=903774
[/quote]

Are you saying the 01 CDI has 3 degrees more advance then the 00 CDI or are you saying they have the same advance curve and I should just add the 3 degree key?

Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Your list of mod sounds pretty accurate. I would tare out the shelf first, jet it , key it, get a clean on the ports and most of all do not make the mistake of not putting it on the dyno after. That year is a dog without a little TLC,I know mine is a 99. After that hold on. set right you should be very happy(I know I am now) . after all this time without even breathing hard I can still clip mid to high 120's, and getting there is mind blowing-I am set up for tork more than HRS :div20: :banana:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by classicstream@Oct 4 2005, 07:23 AM
Your list of mod sounds pretty accurate. I would tare out the shelf first, jet it , key it, get a clean on the ports and most of all do not make the mistake of not putting it on the dyno after. That year is a dog without a little TLC,I know mine is a 99. After that hold on. set right you should be very happy(I know I am now) . after all this time without even breathing hard I can still clip mid to high 120's, and getting there is mind blowing-I am set up for tork more than HRS  :div20:  :banana:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=907089
[/quote]
Thanks for the replies. When you removed your air shelf what jetting changes did you make? I would like to get a baseline to start from.

Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would think 1-2 sizes up. I am going to take the shelf out of my 99 ZRT 800 this year. I hear this is a pretty effective mod for these sleds!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by 99ZRT800@Oct 4 2005, 11:03 AM
I would think 1-2 sizes up.  I am going to take the shelf out of my 99 ZRT 800 this year.  I hear this is a pretty effective mod for these sleds!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=907420
[/quote]

What worries me about only going up (1) to (2) sizes larger in the main jet is that the T-cat only has 320 mains in it stock, the ZRT 800 has 360 mains stock. I am making an assumption that the air shelf restricts the t-cat more then the ZRt 800 so you need less main jet with the shelf in place because you have a higher pressure difference across the carb causing more fuel to flow with a smaller jet. If I remove the air shelf and there is no airflow restriction do I need to jet way up to keep it from going lean. My 900 t-cat had 430 main jets stock and no air box restriction, do I need a similar sized jet?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, my 800 has 400 mains stock as I did not have the update kit installed. I am running 450's with my pipes and the powerbreather and will probably try 460 with the shelf removed. I would say try a 350 and see how it is. I cannot see how taking that out would make you have to run a 400 or larger main if 320 is stock. I cannot be sure though, maybe someone else is running a 2000 and can comment??????

Hope this helps a little!

·
Registered
575 Posts
As with what I said earlier, without the dyno you are doing alot of guess work and a good tuner will see the lean spots(and there is one on the T) and by the way I dont even run prem, Just reg fuel, 6000mls since mod so I know its good. The T will get new pistons and such this year but with around 10000 mls it needs it(original pistons).

And food for thought dont forget to change the waterpump seal its a must. I do mine every year. :div20:

·
Registered
353 Posts
We never re-jet just because we take out the shelf from the air box. It might give you some power, but not so much that it needs re-jetting. Remember that they are on the rich side stock, so leaning it out just a little won't take it on the lean side. And it's hard to compare ZRT 800 to TC:s. Different bore wich affects drag through the carbs and different porting.

Tested all kinds of stuff on my -00 and I must say that with that CDI it's hard to see that you can go lean anywhere!?
Do other mods and re-jet after that instead. This won't make any difference!
You will spend your time in the woods/ on the lake checking wash and plugs for no hp gains.

Hope I saved you from unnecessary work.. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts