Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying an 04 f6 carb next year. I don't want people telling me go with EFI! I just want to know if its going to hurt the engine any if I ride in -10 one day then 40 degrees the next. I understand that it will lose some performance because I don't feel like changing the stock jets. I just want to make sure it isn't going to do any damage to the engine if that temperature isn't right for the jets. Also, if I go WOT about 2 miles across a lake every morning, is it more likely to blow up with crab or efi?

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Is it going to hurt the engine driving in -10 one day and 40 the next with stock jetting-HELL NO!!!!!!!!!
Arctic cat will set up their sleds from factory usually on the rich side-Usually in the -20 below range-sometimes closer to -40 below
Why wouldnt you want to rejett???Its not rocket science.
You have to remember cat is building thousands of these things and sending them all over the country with the same jetting-Mountain riding a whole different ballgame from factory
The only way your going to gain performance from a stock perspective is changing jets and possible needle position along with maybe secondary - remember stock,no add ons
Every 500 ive owned i rejetted-1998 was way rich-2001 and 2002 was pretty damn good-Snowtech dyno 101 hp on 2001-I dont know if snowtech dynoed the f5 but from what ive seen not to many dynos had more then 101 on the f5 and cat claimed 105 correct-Well you got to start somewhere and both my f5s have dropped two jet sizes with great results driving in -30 to 30 above in the u.p.
If your concerned the proper way is reading piston wash first then plug color-Honestly i dont know what the f6s will be jetted at(Will cat use the temp sensor on the f6s and f7s carb)but check your plugs and piston wash and go from there-If you want to perform with a carb you better learn to rejett,also will improve your gas mileage-If your that concerned just leave the stock jets in there and dont worry about it!!!ITS CALLED WARRANTY

·
Registered
52 Posts
colt345 - I have a F5 SnoPro that I used for the first 1100 miles with the stock jetting (380 mains) . . . . with no trouble. I know that it was way rich, as Bee1971 suggested, but the machine had decent throttle response so I left it alone. It ran good on -20 F nights and didn't do too badly when the temperature got up around +30 F. Of course, the sled performs much better with 350 mains installed (1500' elevation). There certainly was no engine damage from my lazyness. My point is that the carb's are not that much of a hassle for living with changing temperatures. On the other hand, if I were riding in areas where the elevation changed significantly (start at 1500' and ride to 5000'), I would option for the EFI. BTW . . . I've been riding EFI Arctic Cats since 1995 and have found them to be effective but not really superior to carbs for my riding style and conditions. You'll have to make sure the carbs are set-up for your most extreme riding conditions (ie. cold mornings - WOT - for 2 miles) and recognize that the jetting will be real safe for the rest of the time. I doubt that you'll need to change from stock. Just my opinion! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts