Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having problems with the idle on my 98 xc 600, thinking about new jets, any suggestions? it back fires when cold and once it warms up it doesnt idle above 1000 rpms. hey pockets or nickles if you see this could you please respond, thanks

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Start with cleaning the pilot jets thoroughly. The passages are very small and are easily blocked. If your sled has high mileage, look at replacing the float pins. have the float heights checked by a shop with the proper tool. Start with stock pilots, air sbew 1/2 turn out. Verify that the carb sync is right on by adjusting the throttle cables as needed. Set both idle screws (large black), so that they are exactly the same distance in. Measure them from the carb body, or count threads. Adjust the idle so it is 1500 rpm hot engine. Then check the sled for throttle response, and turn each carbs air screw out 1/4 turn at a time until it responds the best. Needle should be stock 3rd clip. Also be sure the chokes are adjusted the same, with 1/8" slack at the lever. The throttle cables should also be adjusted so there is 1/8" max gap at the throttle lever to throttle block. If you adjust the throttle cables at all, you need to check the oil pump adjustment.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I dont mean to interupt a thread. My wife rides a 98 xc 600 as well. Any pointers on oil consupmtion. I use amsoil hp injectore oil in hers and interceptor in mine. Hers goes through twice as much. Is it because its a thinner oil or do i have a problem. The oil pump arm line is properly set. Any ideas.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
If the line on the pump body and pump arm line up when you take the slack out of the throttle, but before the carb slides start to move, it is set properly. The only option would be to try a new oil pump. It should use more than your 800, but it still should be around 1 litre to a tank of fuel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts