Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has done any jetting changes on your F5. The spec sheet from the dealer said they used 380 main jets. I would like to change to 360 main jets. The sled is ridden in Wi. and upper Mi. What is the procedure to get the carbs off?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi there
if you would go to page 29 of your owners manual and look under changing main jets it will tell you the how-to's. read it ,there will be a test on this!!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got 1500 miles on my F5 and that was the first thing I changed was the jets. I've been running 360's from day one. I actually just changed them to 350's for my ride this weekend. My buddy and I were talking and we think that it will run even better with the 350's. I agree with herm just follow your owner manual and you won't have any problem, I didn't

·
Registered
85 Posts
In reference to changing main jets, if you don't want to pull off your carbs, I found that the fastest way is to tip your machine to the PTO side and remove the 10 screws securing the skid plate on then you can get to the bottom of the carbs right there. All you need is 17 mm socket and 6 mm for the main jet.

S

·
0 Posts
i changed my jets a couple of times ( not Fun) and I think ryan's Idea is going to be easyer, who would think?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ryan is right. Changed my jets last week and taking the skid off is easy. Should not take you long at all to do it that way. When you take the skid off you are right where you need to be. I went to 360's. Seemed to run a lot better in the higher elevations.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did any of you make changes to the low RPM adjustment...like needle clip positions or pilot screw/air screws...

SNODOGG

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the manuals approach. If you don't take the skid off,
just loosen off the carbs by the engine flange. Push the boots back and watch for the fuel line (attached by the engine), pull up the carbs and slightly turn them over away from the engine.
I found putting the boots back on the toughest part. Am going to try the
skid plate approach this weekend.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Unfortunately, the sled is up in Old Forge in a garage, and I'm down in Utica.

The elevation up there is a couple hundred feet, not really a thousand, and temps range from -10 to 35 degrees. Obviously, if I jet down two sizes, I know enough to not go balls out across a lake when it is -10, or POOF, but what temp would these 360's be safe at, with the elevation above?

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
SteveCZ,

I looked up the elevation of Old Forge and it is 1720 feet. I ride Speculator and the 360's were good. If you are unsure go with the 370's. If the web sites I checked for elevation are correct about Old Forge then you should be safe at any temp. with 360's. 4 different web sites said Old Forge is about 1700 feet.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just got done changing the main jets in my F5. I used the ski plate removal approach and it only took about 30 minutes. I work at a car dealership so I had the advantage of lifting it up on a hoist and it worked great. There are ten screws that hold the bottom plate on. There are two different lengths so remember where they go. Once the plate is removed look straight up and you will see the two threaded plugs that unscrew and the jets are right there. You will need to use a swivel extension to to remove the plugs. Just loosen them first and let the gas drain out. You will also need a small swivel socket for the jets because you cant go straight up because of the frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts