Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my sled ready for the winter month's. It's an 02 w/ SLP pipe & can, two dash flowrited, SLP airhorn kit & V-Force III's, 136" extension w/ a 1 1/2" lug. Everything done to the clutches & carb's are what SLP recommended. I was taking the carbs out and to my amazement the main jet is a freakin' 580!!!!! That sound's HUGE to me!!!! So what I'm asking is what are some set-up's you folk's are running for your carbs & clutches and what are the characteristics or the changes. I'm 160 pound's, ride mostly trails but you can find me on the lakes a lot, sea level to 1300', -10* to +30*, and I do not want to tinker on the side of the trail. Pretty demanding but I figure you folk's can help me out. Thanks. :div20:

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
I'm running the same setup as you, except for the VFIII,
I found that SLP's recommendations are quite a bit on the conservative side.
With pipe, before I put on air box and flow-rite, I ran 500's or 540's.
With needle in stock pos , #3 , it ran too hot in the midrange , in #4 it was kinda sluggish, so I put a needle shim making it #3.5.

When i put on the Air horn, it made it run slightly richer (and possibly a little more inconsistent) but never really got it "right" as I was having exhaust valve troubles and the season ran out for me.

This year I put on the tempa-flow, but i don't recall where i ended up on the mains and needles.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Stock 500 mains, needle #3.5 using a SLP 1/2 step shim. Good 91 octane fuel only, and either stainless or titanium VES valves. Installing an extra tunnel cooler kit is also a good idea.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i'm installing the same set up in my 2002 800X, SLP says use 580 mains down to -29 C I regularly run in the -20C's (cold in northern ontario) would i be safe with 500 mains and 3.5 in the needle?

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
I'd put in 540's first and check plugs/wash before putting in 500's. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Originally posted by ivar@Oct 18 2005, 10:10 AM
I'd put in 540's first and check plugs/wash before putting in 500's. Better safe than sorry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=937380
[/quote]

I'd agree with that.

Air density and fuel quality varies greatly from one area to another, so be careful.

Needle at 3 with a .020thou spacer(3.5)

Avoid long WOT runs in excess of 1/4 to 3/8 mile if you want it to live.

·
Registered
499 Posts
that is what i was worried about, i run a lot of rail lines 80-90 mph for miles and there are a lot of big lakes 5 miles across @ 90 mph ++ don't want to burn down, should i just use #4 needle or do you think i will be o.k. at #3.5 i know that i will have to check piston wash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts