Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the general forum, but thought I'd trie here as well.

I have an OLD JC Penney 2-stage snowthrower. This thing is MINT - except someone replaced the shear bolds on the auger with grade 8 bolts. Well, they didn't shear and the worm gear in the differential did.

Any idea where I can get a worm gear for this thing? It's 3/4" i.d. and 2" o.d. As far as I can tell, it has 22 teeth. Can I cross-reference it with another more 'popular' model?

It's a JC Penny a420 trac.

Thanks!

(this was given to me a few years ago and I have no documentation)

·
Registered
442 Posts
you might want to do a search on Ariens. They manufactured a lot of snowthrowers for others... Without a pic of your thrower? Take it to a outdoor power equipment dealer... They may be able to point you in the right direction. I like the Rochester John Deere dealer at Auburn Road/Rochester Road.
East of Roch, north side. Good dealer with helpful/knowledgeable staff. They will most likely ask you to bring it in so they can see the thrower.

c ya
Rick

·
Super Moderator
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you might want to do a search on Ariens. They manufactured a lot of snowthrowers for others... Without a pic of your thrower? Take it to a outdoor power equipment dealer... They may be able to point you in the right direction. I like the Rochester John Deere dealer at Auburn Road/Rochester Road.
East of Roch, north side. Good dealer with helpful/knowledgeable staff. They will most likely ask you to bring it in so they can see the thrower.

c ya
Rick[/b]
thanks - i'll look that up. I just tried Weingartz and they didn't know a THING. My next stop is the place in the Hills.

·
Premium Member
13,978 Posts
What is the model number of the snowblower? Should be a longer series of numbers/letters.

·
Registered
442 Posts
thanks - i'll look that up. I just tried Weingartz and they didn't know a THING. My next stop is the place in the Hills.[/b]
That is why I dont like Weingartz... too big and not enough helpful staff.

BTW... Rochester Lawn Equipment is WEST of Rochester Road...not east... sorry...
info is:
Rochester Lawn Equipment Center
94 W. Auburn Rd. (Corner Rochester Rd. & Auburn)
Rochester Hills, MI 48309 248-852-4961

http://www.rochesterlawnequipment.com/

·
Registered
647 Posts
RLE is real hesitant to work on the "Big Box Store" equipment. If it was an engine part, no doubt they'll have it....just too many variations on other stuff.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
if it costs too much,
remember you can get a new one at walmart for $300
a crazy friend of mine just bought one.

·
Super Moderator
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RLE is real hesitant to work on the "Big Box Store" equipment. If it was an engine part, no doubt they'll have it....just too many variations on other stuff.[/b]

:pointlaugh:

This thing was built LONG before the term 'big box store' was thought of! It's almost as old as you, Ken! lol From what I can tell by the date coe, it's a 1965 model. But, like I said, it's MINT.

I think I got a good cross reference and RLE will have the gear here for me on Friday.

Oh yeah - went to the shed here in Rochester (the broken one is for my place in Caddy) and found a 2-stage Ariens in there. I forgot I picked it out of the garbage over the summer. Think the carb needs cleaning.

I find these things in the garbage ALL the time. Why would someone ever buy new? I just got done clearing my driveway with a small Toro I found 2 summers ago. The gear for the electric starter motor was sheared. It started on the 1st pull! I replaced the gear anyway for 5 bucks... And still pull start it.

·
Registered
151 Posts

This thing was built LONG before the term 'big box store' was thought of! It's almost as old as you, Ken! lol From what I can tell by the date coe, it's a 1965 model. But, like I said, it's MINT.

I think I got a good cross reference and RLE will have the gear here for me on Friday.

Oh yeah - went to the shed here in Rochester (the broken one is for my place in Caddy) and found a 2-stage Ariens in there. I forgot I picked it out of the garbage over the summer. Think the carb needs cleaning.

I find these things in the garbage ALL the time. Why would someone ever buy new? I just got done clearing my driveway with a small Toro I found 2 summers ago. The gear for the electric starter motor was sheared. It started on the 1st pull! I replaced the gear anyway for 5 bucks... And still pull start it.[/b]
Next time your dumpster diving pull one out for me!!! I Bought Tammy a shovel but she wont use it!!! :shutup2: :brr:

·
Registered
647 Posts

I find these things in the garbage ALL the time. Why would someone ever buy new? I just got done clearing my driveway with a small Toro I found 2 summers ago. The gear for the electric starter motor was sheared. It started on the 1st pull! I replaced the gear anyway for 5 bucks... And still pull start it.[/b]
Real funny, you young punk!!! Should have guessed it was old, since when was the last time you saw lawn equipment at JCP's???? Gotta' agree with you, tho, I just cleared my 200' drive (and more) with a 1969 Simplicity 2-stage!! Old junk is Old Skool!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
my Father in law finds good stuff thrown out all the time... His latest find was a newer craftsman lawn vacuum... 4.5hp briggs and stratten motor... some tool had tried to run a plastic pop bottle through it and jammed the impellers which prevented the motor from turning over... he fixed it and gave it to me! What a great find! Worked great for the fifty bags of leaves I did this fall!

Glad to hear RLE had the parts!

c ya

1 - 11 of 11 Posts