Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some input regarding a semi loop for the Jackman area that would give us around 150 miles on the day, at least one gas stop. I know pittston is 100 miles exactly, but I didnt know if there would be multiple routes out/back. Anyone with any recommendations? I don't mind going south so long as the snow is good. I will be guiding 5 riders on the novice side, so no bald mtn summits this time around...

I was thinking maybe jacktown to pittston and then do the border trail on the way back in, but not sure if we'll have enough gas to get back into town for that. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Head down to Raymonds from the Farm to Northeast Carry, over to Kokadjo if the trails are good it won't be a long ride. head back down 66 to Rockwood and head back to JTown the back way, anyone know if they are crossing the ice at Kineo to get to 66??

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Head down to Raymonds from the Farm to Northeast Carry, over to Kokadjo if the trails are good it won't be a long ride. head back down 66 to Rockwood and head back to JTown the back way, anyone know if they are crossing the ice at Kineo to get to 66??[/b]
Last I heard there were not, and it wasn't ready for the markers. 2 different things I know, but I think the Birches Website might have reported that...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why not hit the Canada loop first then Pitston and back.
Or loop towards Pitston then to Northeast Carry and back, gas and food at both spots.
Or head for Kokadjo and back another way, gives you 3-5 gas stops and at least 3 places to eat.
Alot more options if you bring a current map.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Switchback Assault 850, 146" with all the fixin's on order!
504 Posts
We did The Forks, to Jackman to Greenville to The Forks in one long azz day. 225 miles, almost ran out of gas, got lost twice (thank God for GPS) and was toast when we got back down to Portland about 11pm. However, that was a loop and a half! :santa:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
See the other post involving the clubhouse trails and the private landownder who wants gates. If they are grooming from the clubhouse take the back way to the border then over to the farm. Ride South to Rockwood and then take the back way into Jackman. Gas shouldn't be a problem as you could gas at either the Farm or Rockwood. 150 mile loop is Jackman to Pittstons to NE Carry to Rockwood to Jackman. If you can cross at Kineo it will make things a lot easier and it is a great site.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help guys... I heard through the grapevine that the border riders don't have the 07-08 maps yet??? Anyone know where to get one if that isn't true?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
I heard yesterday that you can't cross at Kineo yet. Frozen but not enough for passage. Also heard that Border Riders Club maps are not available yet. When they are you can get them at the club house or Bishops's. Last years maps will work ok except for the new section to Pfarm (but well signed) and 89 south 16 - 17 miles out where there is a ton of plowed roads with reroutes and shitty signage. Here's the most recent quotes from mesnow.com - trail conditions. Hope to catch some of you guys up at Jman over the next five days starting midnight tonight. I'm at the Boss in a tan Express van w/ dark gray clamshell. Swing by at 9am on any day.

Catch you later, Mark

Rockwood:12/26: The Birches Resort web site reports "Our trails are currently in good shape with roughly a 12" base. We have received some rain, but the trails are still in good condition. Please beware for some icy spots in the trails that need some more snow. There are also a few water spots to watch for. Additional snowfall is expected this Thursday. Moosehead Lake in Rockwood has frozen over...but the ice is not thick enough to provide safe passage to Mount Kineo yet. We will notify you when passage is safe. Always use use caution when venturing onto any frozen body of water and check with locals for ice thickness and hazards first." For reports on individual trails visit web site linked above.

ROUTE 201 CORRIDOR

Jackman:12/24: Bishop's Motel web site reports: "WE RECEIVED JUST A LITTLE RAIN,IT ACTUALLY HELPED FIRM THE BASE AND IT'S CURRENTLY SNOWING!
EXTENDED FORECAST: COOLING DOWN NICELY FOR THIS WEEKEND, ALL TRAILS OPEN AND NOT ENOUGH RAIN TO HURT THE TRAILS ACTUALLY IT FOZE UP NICELY TO CREATE A GREAT BASE!
OVERVIEW: STAY OFF ALL PONDS & LAKES! THEY ARE NOT SAFE YET.
BORDER RIDERS CLUB TRAIL (40 mile loop): OPENING FOR THIS WEEKEND (HOPEFULLY)
PITTSTON FARM/NORTHEAST CARRY AREA: OPENED AND BEING GROOMED, IS IN GOOD SHAPE
ITS 89 NORTH: GROOMED, HAS A GREAT BASE AND PLENTY OF SNOW. GOOD CONDITIONS.
IN TOWN TRAIL: GROOMED & ALSO HAS A GOOD BASE.
ITS 88: ROCKWOOD TRAIL CONDITIONS: GROOMED & GOOD CONDITIONS.
ITS 89 SOUTH: EUSTIS : GROOMED & GOOD CONDITIONS. WITH NEW WORK DONE ON IT, IT SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THE LAST FEW YEARS.
COMMENTS: THE SNOWMOBILERS IN HOUSE NOW TOLD ME THEY MET THE GROOMER AND IT'S REALLY GOOD! "

The Forks:12/22:"We have a solid 30" of snow on the ground in all places. Trail signage is in place and all sections have been groomed.
ITS 86 east/ITS 87 south from Berry's Store toward Greenville is good going. Short section of the Power Line near Moxie Lake is a bit rough, but easily passable.
ITS 87 south toward Bingham is temporarily closed due to an active logging operation (several miles of plowed road). Will reopen shortly after New Years. To get to and from Bingham, use the Pleasant Pond Trail.
Pleasant Pond Trail has good riding. 1 mile stretch around the back end of the pond that is rough, but easily passable. This is the alternate trail to/from Bingham.
Breakneck Ridge Trail toward Blanchard and Monson is open and has good riding.
Kennebec River Trail (FAST) will not be opened up all the way through, until completion of a bridge. It is opened and groomed, from town heading south into 3 Rivers.
Good early season riding to be had. There are still just a few wet spots and washouts that need a little more snow to fill in, so ride with caution at all times." - Jim Yearwood, Northern Outdoors SC, Northern Outdoors

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I was surfing the net and found this site. For those interested in snowmobiling in and around Jackman, I'd like to point out the Jackman Maine chamber of commerce website's jackman maine snowmobile trail report. It is just new this month and we just got two of the main trail pages up (the border riders loop and the its89 North). On those pages you will find a 3d map based on the Border Rider Club's map, a trail comment area, gpx download/upload, and geocaches nearby. This is just being launched so not much there. We are looking especially for two things from riders:

1) gpx files of the trails. If you ride any part of the trails we'd love to have your gpx files. If it is for a different trail, feel free to send it anyway and we'll make a page for the trail.
2) Experiences and comments about the trails.

I personally I'm not a rider, just working on the website. All feedback and suggestions welcome.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
As i type I am lyin in bed at Bishops. Yesterday we rode over to the farm for lunch. Asked them about the Kerry Brook trail and was told it was not open yet. That is always a good ride down to Rockwood. So we left the farm and headed back the way we came in. At the intersection with 66 took a left and headed to Rockwood that way. Trails were really quite good even though they had not been groomed in a couple of days. Once in Rockwood we fueled up and rode down 88 toward the Forks. i was intending to head down 87 and cut over to 89 and come back into town from the south but this didnt happen. It seeems that the Forks system has been groomed so that once your there you stay there. What i mean is, They have groomed everything but where it connects to other systems. And signage is awful. The Jackman, Pittston farm, Rockwood systems are fine. That loop was about 140 miles. Havin a real good time. 1 minor mishap on Thurs afternoon, wife did some OFF trail ridin!!! Course then she came down with the Jackman flu (margaritas at Schmooses) and missed the ride on Friday. BTW watch out the friggin idiots. There seems to be a bunch of em here this weekend. Ride Safe

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
We rode from the forks to kakadjo, up to raymonds store, back to kineo and then back to kakadjo and then back to the forks last weekend..

Trail from kakadjo to raymonds was mint!!!

When we came out at kineo right by the hill there, where the trail goes across to rockwood, no one had been across, except for a guy walking, pulling a kids sled. We did not cross, because as most sane people wouldnt risk it!!!

I must of been running on fumes when we arrived back in kakadjo because my tank was EMPTY! I mean bone dry!!

Overall it was a great 180 mile loop!! I mean excellent, we saw a total of 5 or 6 people all day, even passed the groomer. Trails were excellent!

·
Registered
807 Posts
We just got back from a short 2 day trip - Northern Outdoors to Pittston Farms and back going through Jackman. 200 miles and about 70% was good riding.
The next day, left Northern Outdoors and headed out 86 toward Greenville. The trails were kick-ass for miles!! (except for the power lines)
When we left yesterday, they had 10" of fresh snow on the ground and it was still snowing!
Pretty good riding for this early in the season.
There are a bunch of changes to the trails this year and the main trail between Jackman and the Forks is now closed. You have to go around Coburn Mountain.
Anyone going up there right now will have pretty good riding!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ended up starting from Jacktown and going north to Pittston farms. We came back down the same way we came and took 66 to 88 over to Rockwood. had lunch at Birches and went back south toward Greenville but didnt go there. Ended up with 160 miles and great trails for the most part. Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Also watch out on ITS 88 there are two HUGE waterbars that opened up on Saturday. One of them is a ski ripper for sure!!! We put some pine boughs in, but it was still scary...

·
Registered
141 Posts
thanks for the help guys... I heard through the grapevine that the border riders don't have the 07-08 maps yet??? Anyone know where to get one if that isn't true?

Thanks,
Paul[/b]
I picked up a 07-08 map at The Shop (just below Rockwood) this last weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts