Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all these comments about hard starting and cutting out, etc, I'm thinking that how you fuel, start, and warmup is very important on the F7 especially. I've always had good results and thought I'd mention a few things.

First of all, be aware that the gas you buy is stored underground, and it will be above freezing as it comes out of the pump. If there is water in the underground tank, it will be in a liquid state when it is pumped into your sled. Any water will then freeze in the bottom of your tank (right where the smart valves are). If you buy gas downcountry (home) and then go north to ride, the chances of getting water are increased. Also, gas blends are regional, meaning that the "vapor pressure" is different in say PA than it is in ME. That can mean hard starts. Try to buy gas WHERE you ride, from a station with a big turnover.

Try to keep your tank full or near full. DON'T get it low for trailering, and then have it sitting around your garage empty all week collecting condensation, and then fill it at your local station to head north next day.. REALLY Bad idea! Instead, fill your tank at camp, and leave it full at home. KEEP THE TANK AS FULL AS POSSIBLE AT ALL TIMES.. This is especially important if you only ride once every week (or month).

DON'T put isopropyl in a partly filled tank and let it sit all week. The iso will actually pull MORE moisture from the air than it would without the iso. ALWAYS put your iso in just before you are ready to ride, not the night (or day) before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by F5firecatsnopro@Jan 19 2003, 03:32 PM
so what if u put iso on ur trip and when you get home its still in there could this cause a problem
no, i'm not saying that will cause a problem, but it will work much better if it is fresh. Iso that you put in "last week" is totally useless..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rob, thanks for that! I live in MD and don't ride that frequently. I know to always try and keep the tank full, but did wonder how long iso will last, and when it is best to put it in.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i've had some problems last year with water in the fuel.... so i bought a racor filter.. it works great...check to see if there is any water in the filter and if there is any unscrew it and drain it and put it back.it is so simple and it works... no problems with water getting to the carbs.... i'm going to put one on my F5

good info rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts