Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys

This is not rocket science. I believe it is possible to run just regular Isopropanol in your sleds instead of paying $4 for bottle of Iso-Heet. I have done this with my vehicle but never with a sled.

Anyone have any comments or experiences. Please let me know.

Thanks

Bryan

PS By the way, I am not cheap just don't want to pay $4 for something that is worth about 25 cents. :) :eek:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I believe Iso-Heat contains Isopropanol. You want to avoid using Ethanol de-icers. As far as I know it doesn't matter what the hell it's called as long as it contains Isopropanol and not Ethanol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Any deicer containing isopropyl alcohol is fine. We were just using Iso-Heet as an example. Where do you have Iso-Heet for sale that costs $4.00?!?!?! I hope that was an exaggeration, we sell it for $0.98 where I work......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being from the Great White North at Canadian Tire I paid $3.99 for a 355 mL bottle of Iso Heet. Got ripped off if you ask me. lol

Will be using straight Isopropanol from now on. That is all it is any way. They say there are some corrosion inhibitors but it is probably BS.

Thanks

Bryan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by F7 Firecat@Jan 18 2003, 12:03 AM
Being from the Great White North at Canadian Tire I paid $3.99 for a 355 mL bottle of Iso Heet. Got ripped off if you ask me. lol

Will be using straight Isopropanol from now on. That is all it is any way. They say there are some corrosion inhibitors but it is probably BS.

Thanks

Bryan
You better check your source... If you are talking isopropanol from a drug store, it already contains water! This could be a classic example of screwing up your sled to save a few pennies.

Isopropanol has to be sealed in small containers to work correctly. Even if you are using pure iso from a gallon jug by the time you get down to the bottom, the remaining iso would have absorbed much moisture from the air.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point Rob

Never thought of it that way.

Maybe I will just stick to the Iso-Heet.

Thanks
Bryan

:mellow:

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I bought mine from the A.C. dealer. It was called De-Icer and had no ingredients list. It did say that it did not contain methanol. They told me it was what to use. It cost $3.00 for a bottle that that contained 12 ounces. Hope it is the right stuff.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Originally posted by Team Arctic@Jan 18 2003, 06:32 AM
I just bought a 4-pack of Red ISO-Heet at Walmart for $3.96US...Marc
This is how I buy it too...and it's the cheapest way I've seen for you penny packers

·
Registered
293 Posts
6 pack iso propo at Canadian tire 6 bucks, about 6 oz bottles. Half bottle every tank keeps the mech. away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Sasquatch

My Canadian Tire in Caledonia is ripping me off. I bought three of them and they cost $3.99 each. What Canadian Tire are you shopping at. The bottles were 355 mL each.

Thanks

Talk to ya

Bryan

·
Registered
293 Posts
I lied they are 8.99 for 6 bottles of iso propo. The bottles are 150 ml in size easy to carry and one bottle lasts me two fillups or when riding with someone else one fillup.

Iso heet is 3.99 and comes in a 355 ml bottle but it would take me about 4 fillups to use it up. This why I use the small bottles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts