Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shutting down the productions lines for 2019 in Japan?

Apex, Phazer, Vector and Venture are gone?

4% of the market?

Only (3) new in season full size sleds to be available?

"The entire Yamaha snowmobile lineup is much leaner for 2019, with a total of just 12 models – down from 34 just one year ago.

Eight Sidewinder models, along with the Viper L-TX, Viking 540, Snoscoot ES and SRX120."

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
love em but they need to keep helping cat get their quality up before they shut down . if they do . cat has gotten better every year since the 2014 start of love fest . need to keep that going .

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I agree. I mention this a lot lately - here and real life - As much as I rag on Arctic CaT and Yamaha, I would really like them to stay. Competition is the driver of all companies, and that (competition) is good for the consumer.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Maybe they are just thinking they will sell what they already have out there....but one has to think once that assembly line in Japan is closed down, it will not be coming back.
Or maybe they will come back with a 100% all Yamaha design that set's the industry on it's arse............. Ya ya I know but a fella can dream can't he? :dunno:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Shutting down the productions lines for 2019 in Japan?

Apex, Phazer, Vector and Venture are gone?

4% of the market?

Only (3) new in season full size sleds to be available?

"The entire Yamaha snowmobile lineup is much leaner for 2019, with a total of just 12 models – down from 34 just one year ago.

Eight Sidewinder models, along with the Viper L-TX, Viking 540, Snoscoot ES and SRX120."
they started putting the nails in their coffin when they went totally 4 stroke and eliminated a huge percentage of sled buyers as customers. They never had a suspension and the manufacturing agreement with Cat was good move but probably too little too late. now with Textron in control they could dump Yamaha tomorrow. Yamaha probably makes more money on generators than they do on sleds, and definitely more on bikes and outboards so why screw around with sleds.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I completely agree that we should ALL hope that Yamaha and Arctic Cat continue in the snowmobile business, it is good for the industry and great for us the consumer.
Many things about the Textron purchase of Arctic Cat are not that well known or publisized for instance Textron has already been in the snowmobile business and for 13yrs they owned Polaris Industries 1968 to 1981. That Textron own's Weber Engine Manufacturing in Germany (they made the Polaris 750 Turbo), that Textron has closed down the German motor production and has moved it to St. Cloud MN. Textron has also closed the Augusta, GA UTV Stampede production line and moved it to Thief River Falls, MN. Textron has closed the Arctic Cat head office in Minneapolis and moved it to Providence RI (their HO). There are many other synergies that Textron has done and is actively working on; I know 1st hand that they are consolidating third party suppliers of many, many components as well as raw goods and this is of great value for all recreational aspects of the company and will greatly help the bottom line.
Where does this leave Yamaha? I'm really not sure but I do know that Arctic Cat and now Textron are very happy with the partnership with Yamaha todate. Textron is a major international company in good financial standings, they are valued by both their consumers and their stock share holders, as is Yamaha. The main reason Textron purchased Arctic Cat is it was CHEAP to do so, in fact the very first postive move Textron did when they purchased AC is to buy the company stock at a 41% increase over its previous AC stock price. This was done to minimize the impact of the purchase to their current Textron stock and its holders and to strengthen the value of its acquisition with creditor's. Was this a good idea, well Textron's stock hit a high on Dec 23, 16 at a hair under $50usd/stock, 3 months later their stock was only down by a hair less than 5%, but 1 year to the date of buying AC Textron was trading at just a hair under $61usd per share. This is approx 20% increase in stock value, this rarely happens and show's me the strength of the purchase. Now not 100% of this 20% increase is a direct result of the purchase, but it does show that even investers see the valve behind it.
With the synergies Yamaha and Textron now share, this could be a match made in heaven or a divorce on the horizen. I'm hopeful for a match made in heaven and I think we should all hope for the same. Losing 1 or even 2 manufactures in snowmobiles would hurt us all.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Can't see Yamaha going out totally. They cut way back on models I think temporarily to help clear out all the new non current product in dealers inventory. We all knew they were not going to actually manufacture thier own complete sled a few years ago. So this gives there dealers a winter product for all their regular customers and allows the dealers to keep active in winter. Most Yamaha dealers around here are mainly marine oriented and sleds have been a very small part of business for a long time. With Cat building their sleds it is very cost efficient for them to just have Yamaha sleds available and keep their customers happy. Who knows they might even enter the 2 stroke world again.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Gosh I hope not, I want textron and Yamaha to be successful. Bottom line is we could lose both cat and Yamaha snowmobiles, either they can or can not make $$, the investors in these company's have zero care about anything but profits. We live in s world of hostile take overs, hedge funds, and truth is most people that own stock in these company's don't even know they do or care. It's all about the numbers.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I completely agree that we should ALL hope that Yamaha and Arctic Cat continue in the snowmobile business, it is good for the industry and great for us the consumer.
Many things about the Textron purchase of Arctic Cat are not that well known or publisized for instance Textron has already been in the snowmobile business and for 13yrs they owned Polaris Industries 1968 to 1981. That Textron own's Weber Engine Manufacturing in Germany (they made the Polaris 750 Turbo), that Textron has closed down the German motor production and has moved it to St. Cloud MN. Textron has also closed the Augusta, GA UTV Stampede production line and moved it to Thief River Falls, MN. Textron has closed the Arctic Cat head office in Minneapolis and moved it to Providence RI (their HO). There are many other synergies that Textron has done and is actively working on; I know 1st hand that they are consolidating third party suppliers of many, many components as well as raw goods and this is of great value for all recreational aspects of the company and will greatly help the bottom line.
Where does this leave Yamaha? I'm really not sure but I do know that Arctic Cat and now Textron are very happy with the partnership with Yamaha todate. Textron is a major international company in good financial standings, they are valued by both their consumers and their stock share holders, as is Yamaha. The main reason Textron purchased Arctic Cat is it was CHEAP to do so, in fact the very first postive move Textron did when they purchased AC is to buy the company stock at a 41% increase over its previous AC stock price. This was done to minimize the impact of the purchase to their current Textron stock and its holders and to strengthen the value of its acquisition with creditor's. Was this a good idea, well Textron's stock hit a high on Dec 23, 16 at a hair under $50usd/stock, 3 months later their stock was only down by a hair less than 5%, but 1 year to the date of buying AC Textron was trading at just a hair under $61usd per share. This is approx 20% increase in stock value, this rarely happens and show's me the strength of the purchase. Now not 100% of this 20% increase is a direct result of the purchase, but it does show that even investers see the valve behind it.
With the synergies Yamaha and Textron now share, this could be a match made in heaven or a divorce on the horizen. I'm hopeful for a match made in heaven and I think we should all hope for the same. Losing 1 or even 2 manufactures in snowmobiles would hurt us all.
IMO textron will give them the boot when the contract is up. If Yamaha stays around it will be an engine supplier only. But with them recently buying out Weber and moving it into the cat plant, Yamaha really has nothing to offer them. Textron closed the stampede line because they were already moving to a another location in Augusta. It made more sense to move it up to mn. They condensed the off road umbrella to new location in Augusta months before cat was bought. They closed down everything in Charlotte nc and moved in with ez go at the new location. The mass house cleaning in cat did not surprise me. They started the same thing in there other divisions 6 months before it hit trf. I knew a lot of textron old timers that got let go or left 6 months before they dropped the hammer on cat.n

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Yamaha can offer jobs to the workers in Minnesota assembling sleds for Yamaha. I think its a win win for Arctic Cat it keeps there employees busy/working. Assembled in the USA :flag_usa:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Yamaha can offer jobs to the workers in Minnesota assembling sleds for Yamaha. I think its a win win for Arctic Cat it keeps there employees busy/working. Assembled in the USA :flag_usa:
If they did anything they will build them in Georgia. They have a plant down there and have been building a lot more of their North American products there. Their hot rod Sxs is built there.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Brand loyalists can bitch all they want about the Cat-aha and Yami-cat collaborations...but they result is one hell of a sled if you are a four stroke fan....both brands versions.

Id hate to see it end. It has created the sleds that best match my style of riding. Considering a Cat 18-19 Thundercat 137” or a 18 Crosstour 146” this fall. Like the Yami Sidewinder 137” and ST-X DX 146” too...but like the skis and clutch on the Cats better.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
IMO textron will give them the boot when the contract is up. If Yamaha stays around it will be an engine supplier only. But with them recently buying out Weber and moving it into the cat plant, Yamaha really has nothing to offer them. Textron closed the stampede line because they were already moving to a another location in Augusta. It made more sense to move it up to mn. They condensed the off road umbrella to new location in Augusta months before cat was bought. They closed down everything in Charlotte nc and moved in with ez go at the new location. The mass house cleaning in cat did not surprise me. They started the same thing in there other divisions 6 months before it hit trf. I knew a lot of textron old timers that got let go or left 6 months before they dropped the hammer on cat.n
I wouldn't be so sure that they will cut ties with Yamaha that quickly, again the synergies between the two companies is now stronger than it was under just the Arctic Cat umbrella and synergies means an opportunity for both companies to make more money in more markets together (just branded different like the sleds). It also allows for collaboration, shared R&D expense, engineering and production cost while increasing innovation, quality and market share. This could be said for sleds, ATV, UTV, PWC and of course golf carts (seriously). Time will tell but to think Yamaha simply supplies AC with motors for snowmobiles would be way off base, Yamaha has been much more involved with the overall production of the YamaCats then most would think.

Greg B They started the same thing in there other divisions 6 months before it hit trf. I knew a lot of textron old timers that got let go or left 6 months before they dropped the hammer on cat.n[/QUOTE said:
Textron Old Timers or do you mean AC old timers? The only layoff's I'm aware of at Textron in the US was a plant in Wilmington, Ma which was a military facility (gov't forced shut down) 200 people let go, as well as a small number of employees at a 9000 person plant in Wichita (believe it was 250 people). If you mean AC that I understand, as AC was hemorrhaging with operating cost/expenses exceeding profits/sales (4 quarters in a row) and AC did buyout or layoff quite a few employees through out 2016. Textron not so much. Textron is a good thing for Arctic Cat, hopefully it will be a good thing for the Arctic Cat sled division as well as Yamaha sleds, we really need them both in our sport. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Brand loyalists can bitch all they want about the Cat-aha and Yami-cat collaborations...but they result is one hell of a sled if you are a four stroke fan....both brands versions.

Id hate to see it end. It has created the sleds that best match my style of riding. Considering a Cat 18-19 Thundercat 137” or a 18 Crosstour 146” this fall. Like the Yami Sidewinder 137” and ST-X DX 146” too...but like the skis and clutch on the Cats better.
I'm with you here. Being a long time Yamaha guy to finally have a sled with a great chassis and Yamaha a motor is a blessing for me. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts