Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sled took a hit to the lower left A-arm. The arm is slightly bent. The bulkhead is cracked. The tunnel is leaning. The left side plastic cover does not close. The engine runs well and the track spins but rubs on the tunnel. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
yeah, if it were not for the tunnel it would be easy. my own experience with a twisted tunnel taught me that they don't bend back. i put one on a car frame machine and twisted it back. it just springs back to bent. if you had no money in it you could replace the tunnel. lot of rivets. bulkhead not bad to do. running and straight that thing will bring good money

·
Registered
256 Posts
sure it is, looks like a twisted tunnel and you'll need the bulkhead piece, and a lot of rivets. I did the same thing on a yamaha my friend had, not hard just took a while..

·
Registered
G4 Freeride 137 850 & Pro RMK 163 800
168 Posts
How many miles on the machine? Might be easier to just part it out as it’ll take many hours to replace what’s needed. A 2015 550 isn’t worth the effort, IMO.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The front end damage is an easy and relatively inexpensive fix. To get the tunnel back, your best bet is going to be removing the skid, bumper, and anything else restricting movement. The aluminum is springy, so you have will likely have to bend it a bit further than square, and allow it to come back. A long piece of pipe strapped around the tunnel would work best. It really isn’t that bad, but the 1-piece tunnel will reduce the chances of being able to get that tunnel back. Removable running boards allow for a bit more movement.

Try the tunnel first in case it doesn’t work out. Doesn’t cost you any money to try bending it back. If you have luck and move forward with the other repairs make sure you buy the Lord adhesive from a chem company and not Polaris…it’ll save you a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks like it's totaled. Any tweaked tunnel is usually totaled. You have insurance? If so, file the claim and buy it back. Then do whatever you want. Try to fix or sell it to sled salvage shop.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,158 Posts
As asked before. Is the sled insured?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I'm still trying to figure out how to proceed, but I have been in touch with a few salvage yards about both getting parts, and potentially selling it as is. Unfortunately, none of them are very close by.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Would take the hood off and have a good look at the front section and
take measurements also of the control arms etc. Look at the babbitts site
and plug in your year and model then you can cost it out and familiarize
the parts that may need replacing. Like other posters have mentioned
the rebuild may not be that bad. #1 Powersports Dealer | Babbitt's in West MI | New & Used

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I'm assuming this is uninsured and that's why your looking into fixing such a wrecked machine. But to me it's a loss and not worth it. I think your only bet is to try and scrap it as is or find a similar model with a blown engine to drop yours into. Still will cost you a good buck. But at least you will have a straight sled and can learn from this experience and move forward.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
822 Posts
Well, from the looks of it, trail pass is for ‘19 so bet sleds been sitting. This is a parts sled now. It took one hell of a hit to do all that structural damage.

·
Registered
G4 Freeride 137 850 & Pro RMK 163 800
168 Posts
Well, from the looks of it, trail pass is for ‘19 so bet sleds been sitting. This is a parts sled now. It took one hell of a hit to do all that structural damage.
There’s a 2022 trail pass on the sled in the pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts