Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I owned a fusion for a short time a few years back. 06 bought with 7500 miles and cracked a piston at just over 8k. Got the sled for cheap so I unloaded it and bought a pro r switchback. Now current situation is my brother in law is looking to get into snowmobiling and I recommended he not dive into it with a brand new sled which he wouldn't right now anyway but I could see him upgrading in a few seasons if he really likes it (I took him up to houghton last year and let him ride one of my switchbacks so he does like it). He is about 6 foot 4 and around 275 pounds. We looked at a 2006 fusion 600 with 3500 miles today. Super clean all stock never even had studs. It's at a dealer and they want $3000 (so far they are only willing to go down to $2900). It has a gas tank bag, windshield bag and comes with a spare belt. They replaced the carbides with 4" woody single carbides and replaced spark plugs, chaincase oil and hifax. Everything seems to check out. If he bought this I recommended he buy a stiffer rear spring set, what do you guys think? Anyone around his size riding this sled? Also looking for an unbiased opinion, would he be better off looking at a different sled for around $3k? I've seen 900 fusions, some 700 fusions, AC f6, f5, f7 (2004-2007), skidoo 500ss sleds for around the same price. Maybe even some Yamaha sleds. What do you guys think? And anything else we should look for on this fusion 600 or if he looks at a 900?

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you went with the Fusion I would have the dealer put on 6" carbides instead of the 4".

Not sure on the other sleds.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Fusion 600's hold there value and don't stay on Craigslist very long if priced fair. If he doesn't like it he should be able to sell it for not much of a loss. He has me weight wise by 25 lbs, I have never thought of installing stiffer rear suspension springs.

Search this forum...much on Fusion 600's. Had a couple of recall items and one that should have been recalled, the AC/DC converter.

Make sure handwarmers work and headlight is bright or he will be crapping out around $250 more to fix. Have dealer check for gas tank recall, carb boots recall, chaincase bracket support, and throttle cable re route.

4" carbides not enough...put as much length on carbide as you can.

Price probably a couple hundred high but it is prime time to sell and is being sold by a dealer

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,644 Posts
Price is a little high, mileage is on the lower side, but not real low. 4 inch carbide are too short. At 11 years old, new rear springs would not hurt. Same for both clutch springs. The overall condition could sway me if I was looking at it. Wherever this sled is do you have to add taxes? Stay away from the 755/866 Fusions. Any time I have bought a used sled in the past I always figure in about $300-$400 more for things to be replaced, to be on the safe side, unless I personally new the sleds owner and it's history.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IT is at a dealer so there will be taxes involved. The sled looks super clean but I'm not sure if they just cleaned it up really good or if it's actually that clean I'm leaning on its clean. They say it's a one owner. I still need to do a compression check if he decides to go with it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just an FYI. I picked up my sled for $3k or just under, can't remember the exact amount in the spring of 2013. 3,xxx miles at the time and it's the Dragon XR package which has the Walker Evans clicker shocks. I did get a steal though.

Being that it's a good looking winter and you're buying at a dealer that probably isn't too bad of a price for what you're getting. Beats paying the same price or more for and Edge chassis that is 2-3 years older.

·
14,644 Posts
Try to get the dealer to give a 30 day maybe 500 mile warranty?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We did ask about the warranty and they said no. We are going to look at a 900 Saturday with 2k miles asking $2900.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Check the hours on it. Average mph on my IQ/Fusions is about 25 mph. 3500 divided by 25 means should have about 140 hours on it. I can't confirm...I am old and memory sucks...but I think I remember reading hour meter will remain even if changing gauge cluster. Also give you an indication of how it was ridden as far as speed.

·
14,644 Posts
Regardless of price stay away from Fusion 900's.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I've read they are good as long as they've had the proper updates? And sounds like some clutch work really wakes them up?
Many have made them work, but there is a reason the name Fusion only lasted two years and that was because the '05 900 was filled with MANY mistakes by Polaris engineers. Yea they can be made fast but most vibrate your teeth off. I don't normally try to spread bad info on a sled because somebody will have to sell one...but most just say hell with it and sell it for parts because nobody wants them whole, or they give them away. The Fusion 600 recovered in most Polaris owners minds, even with the Fusion name.

·
Administrator
24,512 Posts
Regardless of price stay away from Fusion 900's.
X10000

I've read they are good as long as they've had the proper updates? And sounds like some clutch work really wakes them up?

Made Polaris buy my '06 900 back after only 650 miles and it had all the right stuff on it but still ate belts, was underperforming and many other things.

In comparison, I still have my '06 600 Fusion and it's been one of the best sleds I've ever owned. It is currently my only sled as well. $3g isn't a horrible price if it's really clean.

The engine and chassis are solid so you should have no worries there.

Before wasting money on carbides I would swap the steering spindles to '07 and newer spindles so it doesn't steer like a tank as that may be his biggest complaint.

Yes the handwarmers are not screaming hot but if it's just a sled to get him into the sport I wouldn't waste the money for the updates voltage regulator. Just pull the small/inner headlight bulbs and fix the heaters so they don't shut off when the brakes are applied.

Other than that, I would HIGHLY recommend having the clutch springs replaced, carb boots checked for cracks, shocks serviced and only replace the rear suspension torsion springs if the proper ride in height cannot be completed with him on the sled. Super easy to check. I'm 330 and still run the factory springs with 6,000 miles on the sled. Save the money from the torsion springs for the other things I've listed.

It's also highly recommended to have the carbs PROPERLY jetted. Not that the sled is unrideable stock but for only a couple bucks, and an hour labor, it will run much cleaner from idle on up. These sleds were jetted horribly rich from the factory.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am reiterating what's already been written but stay away from the fusion 900 under any circumstance. The 900 motor was designed to be in the mountain sleds and run under wide open throttle in the deep stuff. There were a lot of problems with the 900 for trail riding. I don't remember the specifics but they don't get proper oil injection at 1/3 to 3/4 throttle. The Dragon 600 is a fantastic sled. All depends on what he wants and what look he is looking for but I still think a 2004 or 05 600cc or 700cc XC chassis is a great sled for the price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm 6'2" and ~260lbs. It is a great sled and fits well. May need to put bar risers on it, but it is a fairly inexpensive rider forward style sled. I believe the rear skid is the same as the current Indy SP's.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
X10000

Made Polaris buy my '06 900 back after only 650 miles and it had all the right stuff on it but still ate belts, was underperforming and many other things.

In comparison, I still have my '06 600 Fusion and it's been one of the best sleds I've ever owned. It is currently my only sled as well. $3g isn't a horrible price if it's really clean.

The engine and chassis are solid so you should have no worries there.

Before wasting money on carbides I would swap the steering spindles to '07 and newer spindles so it doesn't steer like a tank as that may be his biggest complaint.

Yes the handwarmers are not screaming hot but if it's just a sled to get him into the sport I wouldn't waste the money for the updates voltage regulator. Just pull the small/inner headlight bulbs and fix the heaters so they don't shut off when the brakes are applied.

Other than that, I would HIGHLY recommend having the clutch springs replaced, carb boots checked for cracks, shocks serviced and only replace the rear suspension torsion springs if the proper ride in height cannot be completed with him on the sled. Super easy to check. I'm 330 and still run the factory springs with 6,000 miles on the sled. Save the money from the torsion springs for the other things I've listed.

It's also highly recommended to have the carbs PROPERLY jetted. Not that the sled is unrideable stock but for only a couple bucks, and an hour labor, it will run much cleaner from idle on up. These sleds were jetted horribly rich from the factory.
'07 spindles are same part number as '06...you want '08 or newer IQ spindles to help steering.

·
14,644 Posts
I'm 6'2" and ~260lbs. It is a great sled and fits well. May need to put bar risers on it, but it is a fairly inexpensive rider forward style sled. I believe the rear skid is the same as the current Indy SP's.
Pretty much.

·
14,644 Posts
'07 spindles are same part number as '06...you want '08 or newer IQ spindles to help steering.
Yes. 07 was when they drilled the hole in the ski further back. But I have also stated many time the heavy steering is a bunch of:bsflag:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts