Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reviewed the new Polaris lineup (again), and I can't believe they are going to market again with no new product. Yeah, the diehard Pol fans will yak about the XR thingy (I saw that POS in Yellowstone 3 months ago). I mean real sleds for real people who ride on real trails. Not standup racers for Morgan wannbees. I expect that Polaris will drop to at least third place in market share, if not last, next season. By the time they get their new stuff to market in 05 all their old customers will be loyal to a different brand. I know that next year will be the first time since 1985 that there will not be a Polaris of some kind in my garage.

Terry

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Gearhead,

I believe you are mistaken! They are offering a full blown race sled, Pro XR and the 1/2 blown race sled, Pro X-2.

These releases are no different than Ski-Doo offering the REV and Cat offering the Firecat.

Also, there is a new lineup called the "crossover" line which carries the "ALL NEW" Switchback.

As far as I see it, Polaris has more "new" models to offer this yr. than any of the other manufacturers. The rest released their arsenal this past season.

And Polaris will sell the most sleds again this year, they always do!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with Terry.. I was a loyal Polaris customer for many years, and I left last year for a F7. Once again this spring, the 2004 polaris lineup is disapointing for me.

Also, the Switchback is just a renamed SKS.

And they are now #2 in sales... Doo passed them this year.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
You guys just wait. If I'm not mistaken 2005 is something like the 50th anniversery of Polaris. They have never really been one to drop a bomb on the industry. I would consider the ZR, Firecat, RX-1, and even the Rev :D :D

Cat S.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a quick question. Why are there so many F-7's for sale. It seems as if everywhere you look there are people wanting to sell the F-7. I know many guys want a new sled every year but it seems as if there are a bunch for sale. I was just wondering.

·
Registered
233 Posts
WAIT TILL 2005 and i might not even be riding a Firecat. our maybe both will do

i'm tell you boys it is going to be a good year for them WHICH THEY NEED

·
Registered
745 Posts
Polaris was ready to release their new sleds this year. (04) They have a-arms and thats all i know for sure. But alot of the dealers have so many sleds left over from 02, and 03, because of the bad winters. They said they were not going to release them because they would loose alot of money on the old sleds not being sold. Why buy an old sled with trailing arms, when you can get ones with A-arms?

This was what i was told. And yes by more than one dealer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
that first picture has been around for a long time. No not that sled for 2005 but MAYBE something like it. Lets wait a year and see

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FC
No I am not mistaken! Did you read my post or just the title? Let me repeat, real sleds for real people on real trails!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should reread your own post.
"They are offering a full blown race sled, Pro XR"
What does that have to do with trail riding?
The Revs and Firecats that you find in dealers showrooms are the finest sleds ever offered to the trail riding public. Quiet, SMOOTH (let me repeat SMOOTH) riding, good handling and very quick. The XR is not about smooth comfortable riding. It is about racer wannabees doing jumps and it is NOT new. It was on showroom floors months ago. I am shocked that Polaris would actually believe that we the buying public are stupid enough to think that all it takes to build a Rev is to cut the back of the seat off. :wacko: Let's see, according to Polaris the rider moves forward 3" on the XR. According to Skidoo the rider moves forward 12" on a Rev. Hmmmm, sounds the same to me (not).
As for the Switchback-or was that the Doublecross, that thing has been in their lineup forever (except for a couple of years that it was discontinued due to a lack of public demand). I can see that Polaris will still be selling some sleds next year, all you need to do is change the name and some will think it is a new model.
This Renegade-Switchback business kind of reminds me of those old Dodge Caravan commercials when they compared their vans to the competition.

"Even after we showed them how to build them, they still couldn't get it right!"

Terry

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was disappointed at the lack of a brand new chassis for Polaris for 2004, but have heard that they are dropping about $52 million on the new chassis. Polaris's 50th anniversary is 2005. I hope they use the 05 model year to introduce an all new sled. Polaris did add a few nice touches to the 2004 models, like PERC electronic reverse on just about everything, and the DET anti-detonation system on all 700 and 800 engines, but they seriously need to make it happen in 2005. I will ride my 800 XC one more season and wait to see what they come up with for 05. I am hoping for something really big, and hope that I will not be disappointed. I have had good success with Polaris sleds and my dealer is great. I just want to see some new iron, very soon. I hope Polaris is listening. By the way, Thank you Rob for giving us guys with other brands a place to discuss things about our sleds too. Makes a great site even better!! Bravo! B)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The last "Bombs" Polaris dropped were the XLT, and the high powerd twins....Just hope the next one is going to be in 05......

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gearhead,

Although the 2004 line could be viewed as disappointing, the fact remains that there are lots of unsold inventory out there. This is true for both Arctic Cat and Skidoo as well. Cat sold alot of F7's and did well on the Mountain Cat 900 but that was it. Ski doo did take over #1 postion for market share this year but mostly on the strength of it's Canadian sales. US dealers also have lot's of stock.

Regarding real sleds for real people, the F7 hardly qualifies as it is a high performance machine. I would say that based on this website the average guy would have problems. The RX-1 is clearly on the upper end of what could be classified as a very high priced sled. Certainly Ski Doo has the most interesting line up as they basically switched 80% of the sleds to the REV chassis. Is this for everyone? We'll see. I would guess that Ski Doo is poised to end up the strongest for now, but like Polaris and Arctic Cat, will have to address the problems of excess inventory. These companies survive on dealer orders. Snow Check programs help but if you were an average dealer in MN, WI, MI and had 40-60% of your sleds still sitting in inventory, how many new ones can you afford? In the end it's the dealers who pay and carry inventory. Sure, dealers want new models, but not if it sacrifices their existing inventory.

I suspect Polaris might lose market share again in 2004. I also suspect that keeping their dealer network strong is a important strategy. In the meantime Polaris added alot of nice features for the average real rider such Electronic reverse , team roller secondary, DET control. Overall for the average real rider, the Polaris engines have been very reliable. Maybe not the fastest anymore but real riders look for reliability. Polaris still remains one of the easiest sleds to self service as well. Could they end up behind Cat, I don't think so. The Firecat's are nice sleds for sure, but Cat has alot of work to do shoring up their issues. Polaris learned this in 1995/1996 with the XLT motor. With 2 years of terrible winters in the midwest, I don't think that the new sales are going to be good regardless of what you introduce. I only have 1200 miles in the last 2 years and over 600 of that was out west. I have friends with 2002 sleds and only a few hundred miles on them. I am sure you can expect quite an interesting lineup for 2005, which by then Cat and Rev will be 2 year old technology. Of course time will be the best judge.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Here in Sask., the is Doo dealers with alot of 03 REV's carried over. They sold the most? They still have lots left, and we had the best winter in 5 yrs. WE do alot of trail riding and see alot of sleds, the most popular this yr was the AC ZL..I think all the manufactures are in deep trouble..and besides the Bomber shares dropped 27% last week, NOT a good sign...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Gearhead,

I did re-read my post and i'll say you are "sort of" correct. If you think the Firecat and the Rev are Real Sleds for Real People, meaning different than the Pro X2, you are incorrect. Both are directly associated with the race lines of those brands! The Pro XR is a racing sled. The Pro X 2 is a version of the full blown, such as the Firecat and the Rev.

The Revs and Firecats that you find in dealers showrooms are the finest sleds ever offered to the trail riding public.[/b]
True, that's because they are based off the race sleds with similar technology!

Now as far as Real Sleds for Real People on Real Trails.... All of us have seen the conditions out there. They are far from real trails, and to be honest with you....you need a full blown or 1/2 blown race suspension to handle the bumpy ass trails so you don't end up in a tree!

Just my thoughts. B)

·
Registered
370 Posts
people were saying the same this last year!!!! no new sleds, well if you read in to the sleds rather then just looking at the pictures you would realize that there are new features for this year just like last year.
Last year pro X was brand new and everyone thought it was just an edge with new stickers. just because polaris does not come out with a "brand new sled" does not mean that the sleds are still on the top in the market.

BTW have you looked at the Yamaha 2004 lineup? talk about disappointing!?!

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I have one question for Polaris...... WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO UPDATE YOUR ENGINE PROGRAM?...... Any body heard any info on anything like "SDI" or BIG CC 4 strokes? dont even tell me that turd of a 4 stroke is whats going to save them....... dont get me wrong about my poo I love the fack that it takes all the beatings and never gives me any problems but lets up date ! since 2001 things havent changed much........

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FC
If you had continued my quote for one more sentence you would have picked up the full meaning of my post. Key word is SMOOTH. Repeat SMOOTH.
That word does not apply to a race sled. Anybody can scoop a couple words out of the middle of a post and try to make someone look foolish. How come you did not quote about the Doublecross or the Rev vs XR seating position? There is a bigger picture here, that is who is able to take that race technology and do something useful with it. This has already happened with Doo and Cat. Polaris is still floundering. You may actually want a race sled for the trails, I just hope I never meet you head on in a corner.
jinx
I am afraid in todays market it takes more than a bulkhead revision to stay on top. While electronic reverse and detonation control are nice features, surely you are not going to claim Polaris was first with these improvements?
xc-mark
Nice of you to bring that up (the engines). Probably all it would have took to keep me in the fold one more year would have been a powerplant update. These Liberty engines (domestic twins) are getting so long in the tooth, they are starting to remind me of the 600-650 triples back in the 80's. They managed to flog that motor from 1984 through till about 1992. Since 1997 all they have done to the twins (700-800) is add powervalves and change carbs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts