Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the brake caliper side is suppose to be a C3 for clearance but does the chaincase side need to be a C3 bearing as well?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
What does C3 mean? Usually those bearings are unique to the sled industry so a normal 6009 2RS isn't compatible. It's usually a rubber oring in the outer case to seal or something else along those lines. I've never seen a C3 called out.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Turboflash, I was thinking not because it didn’t say it on Cats parts diagram but thought maybe it was just missing. So its a C3 on the brake side because it gets hotter and normal clearance on chaincase side because it stays cooler bathed in oil? Is that the theory? Does it matter if the chaincase side is a C3?

Thought the chaincase bearing was maybe unclear like the upper idler bearings, it doesn’t even say what that bearing is, just that it’s a 30mm. That’s not much help. I found out is a 6006 but should it be a C3 because they are pressed on. Does it matter?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Firecatdude, as we have learned sometimes Cat's engineering logic is hard to understand. Technically, with the factory design, neither bearing on the track shaft needs to be C3 because neither is press fit to shaft. I think your theory about temperature is likely why Cat decided to use C3 on brake side. This is not scientific but I too was curious how "hot" or warm the brake side bearing gets while riding. One day, I removed the foot stirrup and caliper guard and went for a ride. After a couple hours of good fast riding combination of lakes and high-speed meadows, and after running down a forestry road, I quickly pulled over and stopped. I put my bare hands on the track shaft both inside the tunnel and outside, and felt the end of shaft outside the rotor, and to my surprise, everything was cold. Remember that inside the tunnel there is lots of snow cooling the shaft and sides of tunnel. My conclusion is that neither track shaft bearing gets hot. They're both always cool/cold. So, technically, there is no reason to use a C3 bearing due to heat concerns. Technically, there is no reason to use a C3 bearing in this application since there is no press fit AND there is no heat. It's just Cat's weird design logic. It would be interesting to be able to ask them what they were thinking.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I dont have those bearings in stock. Being that the bearing is 10 bucks from arctic cat tells me its probably not a c3 bearing. Its not in a very harsh environment really. Like turboflash said. Theres plenty of cooling and air flow through the tunnel.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up getting two SKF bearings. Sealed C3 for brake side and a open normal clearance for chaincase side. Just waiting on parts from dealer.

Turboflash, should those upper idler wheel bearings be a C3 because they are a press fit? The parts diagram tells you nothing but that they are a 30mm bearing. I ended up just ordering two new wheels because one was chewed up a bit. But next time I might just change the bearings in those idlers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts