Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a IQ600

Is there a big difference between the CFI and the carb sled with respect to performance?

Is the 07 carbed version improved vs the 06 fusion? As in jetting/pilots etc?

I will likely try to deal on a noncurrent 07.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good question. Wonder the same thing. I would almost bet, barely any difference if any, unless we are talking pure hype.
:snack:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have ridden both a bit, the CFI is more snappy off the throttle, also a guaranteed two pulls with the CFI. Plus, you no longer have to deal with carbs. I guess i am happy with my CFI, just depends if you want to spend the extra $500 bucks for a CFI. I did and i am very happy with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have ridden both a bit, the CFI is more snappy off the throttle, also a guaranteed two pulls with the CFI. Plus, you no longer have to deal with carbs. I guess i am happy with my CFI, just depends if you want to spend the extra $500 bucks for a CFI. I did and i am very happy with it.[/b]
I had the choice of a carb or a CFI IQ and picked the CFI. I just sold a 05 XC SP 600 and thought a carb would be fine. I'm glad I spent the extra $500 for the CFI though. The thing fires right up and purs at idle. Obviously, with the CFI you don't have to mess with the choke, etc. The thing runs great as soon as you start it. There is no more 3-6 pulls and holding the throttle/choke to warm it up.

The performance is sweet as well. Get the CFI.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I thought that I wanted an efi until all the replys from efi owners. My carbed 600 will run up to 100 anytime perfect condions and a long stretch 109 gas mileage 10-12 oil 1qt. to about 125 miles, it has been reliable for 4000 miles. for 500 bucks you can buy about 1800 miles worth of gas Long story short if your looking for an energy efficient sled dont buy a polaris. But they sure are fun to bang on. jmo

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
The CFI makes 5 hp more and should have slightly quicker throttle response.
IMO, for people who leave their motor stock, CFI is the better way to go. You get more consistent running quality with fuel-injection and no longer have to fiddle with the choke.
However, if you are someone who actually likes to tune their sled or if you plan to modify your engine, I think that carbs are better.
Its a lot cheaper just to buy jets than it is to buy an ECU reprogrammer. Most ECU reprogrammers go for about $200. I can buy a lot of jets for $200.
Personally, I would pay the extra money for fuel-injection. I usually leave my engine stock (I clutch it, stud it and ride it) and Id appreciate the consistent running quality of CFI, not having to mess with the choke when starting the sled in the morning and it would also be nice to know that there is no more worry about the jetting running lean when it gets really cold and siezing an engine. My sled is jetting to run from 0 to 20 F and sometimes when its -10 to -5 F I worry about the possibility of siezing an engine. If I had CFI, thats something I wouldnt really worry about because Id know that no matter what the temp is, the computer is constantly adjusting to give the perfect air/fuel ratio.
However, if I could get a sweet deal on a 600 HO that had carbs or an IQ Shift, I definetly wouldnt pass it up. Fuel-injection is nice, but for me if a sled doesnt have FI, its not a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a 600 ho fusion (carb) and rode with a 600 cfi quite a bit last year. The 600 cfi is definately faster plus it will get better fuel mileage everyday but alot better the higher the temps climb. I would think you could recoup most of the $500 back at resale time anyway. Just my 2 cents though they are both great sleds though. Just make sure that if you get the cfi that dealer adjust's the oil pump as they are scary lean on oil. The motor let go in the cfi that I ride with because of this. Needed basicly everything, two new jugs ,pistons and crank. So needless to say there was a bit of downtime because of this.

·
Registered
841 Posts
CFI all the way. If you want mods, go ahead. Pushing 1 button on a boondocker box on a CFI is a hell of alot faster than switching jets on a carb.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 06 600HO Carb. I am happy with the power. mileage when hammering moguls on hard park in the 20-25°F range I got 11mpg. The 06 DOO SDI that I was riding with got less than 11 mpg. I was not having to throttle the sled much for speed, no powder and you could keep moving at a pretty good click. When your breaking trail or ridding in the warm mush any where from 8-10 mpg into the throttle. The 600HO motor either way is a very good engine. I have around 1,700 miles on it. I have gotten as high as 12.5 mpg and as low as 8 mpg.

My 2004 DOO 600HOX went through three sets of rings by 1,500 miles and my 2003 600HOX went through one set of rings at 1,300 miles. I purchase both sleds brand new, broke them in properly and etc, nothing but junk motors, no ring problem though LOL. Compression on the Polaris 600 HO still like new.

I have not rode a cleanfire yet, would like too though, considering one for next year.

You will not loose with the 600 ho motor either way.

Good luck with your choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts