Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our club use to have the biggest grass drags in Northern Ontario back in the 90s,in Azilda at the old Fairgrounds just 10minutes north of Sudbury

We also hosted ice drags one or 2 yrs back then also

Anyway I was talking to a couple of club members and we talked about fundraising ideas

Radar runs was mentioned on ice

I would like to know if there is any interest in this from any of you out there???

Be it from a sponsor point of view or a average Joe type

I doubt we have time to do it this yr but next year maybe

This can be an exciting and safe and legal way to see how fast your sled is or how slow Scuggog Stock is :)

I am pretty sure Rocky's Wanahpetei has an event also

·
Registered
267 Posts
Our Radar run has from 75- 100 sleds and averages 2 spectators per sled.

I would go.. I am one of those who travel anywhere, it's only 4 hrs away, it would make a
hell of a weekend.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I know some people that would go...

Would be cool to have races like they did before at the Dowling winter carnaval...

660' of groomed snow, no studs req'd.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I recall those Fairground races,raced in a few of those. My buddy lived just outside of Blezzard Valley, close to that Ranch. Think it closed too.

Anyone recall the races on Whitson Lake? They use to run there and northbay, so they were every other week. Always lots of people out. They did last much after the golf course opened. Still remember the Big Onion? One older guy running skidoo , he was apparrently from Blezzard area.

There still a lot of impromtu racing off the point on WhiteWater?

Rocky's still runs them don't they?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I recall those Fairground races,raced in a few of those. My buddy lived just outside of Blezzard Valley, close to that Ranch. Think it closed too.

Anyone recall the races on Whitson Lake? They use to run there and northbay, so they were every other week. Always lots of people out. They did last much after the golf course opened. Still remember the Big Onion? One older guy running skidoo , he was apparrently from Blezzard area.

There still a lot of impromtu racing off the point on WhiteWater?

Rocky's still runs them don't they?

Good luck with the effort..[/b]

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
NBSSR wants to have a weekend in Sudbury.....however, their work is not a charity! It costs money for insurance, hotels, plowinging and maintaining a track for 150+mph sleds.

So I suppose they could work there in conjunction with an EVENT held by the STP that is there to raise money for a charity...I dunno.

call Claude...705-495-1802

·
Registered
358 Posts
It is a good way for some of the guys out there to get the speed thing out of their system in a safe place instead of on the trails.
Might be something we could look into.
Keep me posted FB

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know some people that would go...

Would be cool to have races like they did before at the Dowling winter carnaval...

660' of groomed snow, no studs req'd.[/b]

The problem with that is that it get dug up by the end of the day. And also some guys with the picks would scrape the snow off. I would much rather have snow drags, but you only get a few good runs till the starting line is down to ice and you start losing. I think a race between us would be cool to watch, photo finish.

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NBSSR wants to have a weekend in Sudbury.....however, their work is not a charity! It costs money for insurance, hotels, plowinging and maintaining a track for 150+mph sleds.

So I suppose they could work there in conjunction with an EVENT held by the STP that is there to raise money for a charity...I dunno.

call Claude...705-495-1802[/b]
NOT the STP btw

Its would be a Northbound Sno Drifter event

BUT not sure if we would want 150mph sleds though

More or less a run that the average Joe can run

BTW does the NBSSR not have the Rockys run already???

Like I said I am shooting the idea out to see the interest

And we are thinking Whitewater lake,which is in our club area

·
Registered
159 Posts
First thing I would do would be set the runs up for 1000ft. instead of the 2000ft runs done by NBSSR. This will reduce the speeds and probably make it easier to get insurance.. Keep the classes simple and geared towards the average guys.. There is an event going on in Alliston next weekend that appears to be doing just this. 1000 ft ice / 1000ft groomed snow take your pick... I am planning on attending the ones in Alliston and would definately support the one in Sudbury.. Would probably have 3 sleds..

http://adsc.ca/news.ihtml

1 - 12 of 12 Posts