Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most or all of the Insurance carriers in NY offer coverage for sleds and / or wheelers ? Do you have to package your Homeowner's or vehicle Ins, to get it ?

I'm trying to get a handle on what to expect in Mass, when the State FINALLY allows Companies to come in at a competive rate. Up until now, the State sets the rates, and most large carriers would not even quote insurace because of it.

Companies like State Farm, Progressive, etc., will be coming in for the first time ever, this April.

Right now, I have 2 '98 Yam 600's that are insured with one of the only 2 Companies in Mass that will insure sleds, but only 'cause my Homeowner's is with them.....................$85.00 each, liability only. ( not too bad ).

Also, I have 2 '05 Yam Rage's, and here's where the fun starts. My homeowner's won't even touch them because of the 989cc's.............no one in the State would write them.

I went to the NYSSA site, and found an agent that had to do hoops with a carrier to get me insured in NY. I own a Camp on Tug Hill, and that add'y was good enough to get them Insured...........$500.00 each, full coverage. ( sounds high ? ).

No one in Mass would write my wheeler either !!!!! Progressive in NY insures it, ONLY 'cause of that NY add'y !!!! ( $200.00 ).

The big problem is that I live in Mass, and am Insuring for NY.

Sooooooooo I'm guessing that when the Big Companies come to Mass in April, I'll be able to bundle the whole works with 1
Company, at a reasonable Rate , like you dudes do in NY.............????

·
Registered
32 Posts
My sleds are with Natiowide, and all my car stuff is with Allstate. Allstate was at least twice as much for the sleds. Sea Doo's are with Progressive. same reason. My point being that having it all together at least in my case doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I use state farm for everything, including full coverage on the trailer (Canada) and 1 mill in umbrella liability. I totaled a new sled (actually my daughter did) with 8 miles on it and it was fully covered, they went on the dealer repair price, no questions. The guy at state farm stated "honestly, we don't know how to price sleds" and I know I am paying the least amount verus anyone else in my club. If you want more info, go to my club website at www.nysnowmobilers.com and check out the link to allstate, he is also very knowlegable and has come to our meetings to explain things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use state farm for everything, including full coverage on the trailer (Canada) and 1 mill in umbrella liability. I totaled a new sled (actually my daughter did) with 8 miles on it and it was fully covered, they went on the dealer repair price, no questions. The guy at state farm stated "honestly, we don't know how to price sleds" and I know I am paying the least amount verus anyone else in my club. If you want more info, go to my club website at www.nysnowmobilers.com and check out the link to allstate, he is also very knowlegable and has come to our meetings to explain things.[/b]
I went to your site, then to Allstate, then clicked in my Mass. zipcode, ( 01453 ) .. TILT !!!! Most of the Big Companies aren't licensed to do business here.
Not until this April. That's why I'm getting jacked $$$. The NY companies that do insure me are bending the rules big time, for a price.
I appreciate your feedback though.............Thanx.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My sleds are with Natiowide, and all my car stuff is with Allstate. Allstate was at least twice as much for the sleds. Sea Doo's are with Progressive. same reason. My point being that having it all together at least in my case doesn't mean anything.[/b]

Oh, I hear ya on shopping for a good price...............my problem in this State, is we don't have ANY choices for sleds and wheelers.

There's a real big Insurance Co that advertises in one of the sledding magazines..........I called them a couple of years ago, and here's how it went........................." Hello, and welcome to ????? Insurance ( I can't remember the name )...........then it goes " IF YOU ARE CALLING FROM MASS, PUSH 1, ALL OTHERS HOLD FOR AN AGENT " ......Sucks to be me. hehe
Maybe things will get better in April............when the snow is gone.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i called around to get insurance on my new apex, i live in NY and was shocked by some of the answers i got, from 550-850 ,full coverage.
the day i registered it i wasn't too far from my alstate insurance guy so i paid him a visit, after he made a few calls and typed in my info a couple of times, i got full coverage for 250, with a 250 deductable on collision and comp. i could have gotten just liability for like 85 bucks.
i think when you call (not counting ma residents) they just shoot you the top package with 0 deductables in hopes of writing a better package for them.
i insure my wheeler through progressive but they farm it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i called around to get insurance on my new apex, i live in NY and was shocked by some of the answers i got, from 550-850 ,full coverage.
the day i registered it i wasn't too far from my alstate insurance guy so i paid him a visit, after he made a few calls and typed in my info a couple of times, i got full coverage for 250, with a 250 deductable on collision and comp. i could have gotten just liability for like 85 bucks.
i think when you call (not counting ma residents) they just shoot you the top package with 0 deductables in hopes of writing a better package for them.
i insure my wheeler through progressive but they farm it out.[/b]
Ya, some Companies see 9xx cc's and they freak out. The ones that go by horsepower have their heads screwed on right.
But again, I can't get Allstate here. Liberty Mutual will insure my sleds, as long as they STAY ON MY PROPERTY. What a messed up State.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
We use IWSF (International Water Safety Foundation) Their North American office is in Quebec but the home office is Kent, England They are primarily a boat/pwc insurance outfit but also insure "Snowcraft" as they are listed on out policy. www.iwsf.com

We pay $875.00 for two sleds... Full Coverage... Collision, Theft, Fire and Liability at FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE. Our trailer is also covered as well as the sleds during transport in event of an accident or the sled(s) just falling off the trailer.

PS Waldo we get $ for referrals :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I pay like $250 for full coverage on each new sled and $46 for liability on the one old sled though Nationwide-I used to have them with Allstate for twice as much. Nationwide will write free standing snowmobile policies. Since I have put the wheeler and the camp with Nationwide.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I use Erie Insurance out of Erie, PA. Very satisfied! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts