Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my large tank for my 06 iq, is there anything I need to cut, drill or remove to get this thing on? Have my seat off and it looks like it might be a pain. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just got my large tank for my 06 iq, is there anything I need to cut, drill or remove to get this thing on? Have my seat off and it looks like it might be a pain. Thanks[/b]

the only thing you should have to do is drill out the rivets on the bracket that hold your small tank on, then just tape up the holes and install. make sure you use the screws provided in the kit or you will puncture a hole in the new tank. takes about a hour to install

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
There are several Very Important things to do when installing the big tank.

1. Your '06 has two aluminum brackets on the tunnel where the front of the seat tabs slip into. These need to be cut or ground off some so they do not rub on the tank. Make sure there is at least 3/16" to 1/4" clearance between the front of these and the edge of the tank. It often looks like there is plenty of clearance with no modifications but the tank settles back just a little and will rub on the two aluminum brackets. I use a little air powered cut off wheel and slice off about 1/4" if the bracket at an angle, then hit it with a file to remove the sharp edge.

2. The front bracket where the spring holds the front of the tank on needs to be spread just a little bit, There are two "ears" on that bracket with holes in them that the spring goes through. Spread these out just a little, like 1/8" to 3/16". This will ensure the end of the spring does not rub on the tank.

3. When installing that front spring, make sure you install it with the end of the spring facing outward. This will ensure the tip of the spring, after the hook, can not rub on the tank and cause a hole. the only way to install the spring this way is to hook both ends into the bracket and roll the spring forward over the bracket before you slip the tank into place. It will be a little bit of a pain but once you do it this way you will never try to install the spring after the tank is in place. Once the tank is inplace you can roll the spring right up and over the front of the tank.

4. On '05 & '06 sleds it is easiest to slot the black plastic part of the seat where the back two studs/bolts go through. After you have removed the two aluminum "nuts" from the seat use little snips or a knive and slot those two holes forward, they will no longer be holes for the rear two bolts they will be slots. Your seat must be dropped into place and slid forward about 1" so the two front seat brackets catch the plastic tabs on the seat. I have done this without slotting the seat but it's way easier to just slot the back two holes in the plastic.

5. You CAN NOT use the stock mounting bolts for the back two seat bolts. They must be shorter, Maximum length of about 3/4" of thread. If you use the stock two bolts they will penetrate right into the tank and put two nice 1/4" holes in the tank.

6. You MUST cover every rivet head and hole in the tunnel with 1/8" thick weather stripping. This is to prevent the heads of the rivets from rubbing on the tank. When you cover the holes this will prevent a small rock or piece of debris from getting between the tank and tunnel and rubbing a hole in the tank.

7. Make sure your brake/tail light wire is positioned in the slot formed in the tank. As you slip the tank into it's final resting spot you can use a very thin piece of metal to position the wire in the slot. I use a hack saw blade sized piece of metal and push the wire into the slot as the tank is slid into place.

The tank job is very simple, especially after you've done about 20 of them. The first few times it takes a little extra time but with these tips you should be able to avoid most of the big concerns.

Good Luck and write back if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks AKIQPilot, My tank will be here on Friday, planning on doing the same job.....

·
Registered
447 Posts
hey tom.. for number one does that apply to an 05 IQ also? cuz i never trimmed no brackets in the front??? now i am worried lol

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
hey tom.. for number one does that apply to an 05 IQ also? cuz i never trimmed no brackets in the front??? now i am worried lol[/b]
Yes this does apply to the '05 and '06 IQ's. Don't be too worried. You can look through the gap between the edge of the seat and the tank and see the two aluminum brackets and see how close yours are to the tank. If you have a little space between the tank and these brackets you are fine, If the tank is almost touching these brackets you would be smart to trim them back just a little or at least keep a close eye on this area and do something if they ever do start to touch.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
On my '05 The front coolant hose rubs the airbox bracket. I took some pool hose and sliced it, put it over the factory hose and zip tied it. I have about 1000 miles on this mod. Just thinkin' ahead. I hate building something all summer to have it break on my first trip. Check it out. You will see what I'm sayin'
Jim

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes this does apply to the '05 and '06 IQ's. Don't be too worried. You can look through the gap between the edge of the seat and the tank and see the two aluminum brackets and see how close yours are to the tank. If you have a little space between the tank and these brackets you are fine, If the tank is almost touching these brackets you would be smart to trim them back just a little or at least keep a close eye on this area and do something if they ever do start to touch.[/b]
thanks for the heads up!!! always nice to know the in's and out's of my machine!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Do you have the part number for the tank and what did the dealer charge you?
thanks for your reply.[/b]
The Wicked racing tanks are an inch wider in the front than the Polaris ones so you have to grind down the ears. I think the polaris tank has been changed slightly. They now have a new part number and they seem to fit better. We just got a few more in on friday. I stuck one in on Saturday. They are available with a bunch of other items here: http://www.jspowersports.com/polaris_iq.htm We also just added the Polaris 600RR pipe and adjustable toe hooks. Have a look.

·
Registered
909 Posts
when i installed my tank i just but some foam in between.

Did anyone have trouble trying to get both bolts in the back to hold the tank and seat down?

i could only get one in.

·
Registered
362 Posts
when i installed my tank i just but some foam in between.
Did anyone have trouble trying to get both bolts in the back to hold the tank and seat down?
i could only get one in.[/b]
i managed to get both in but it was not fun. the 600rr parts manual shows studs that go into tank. i think i am going to order them up so the next time i take the seat off it will make it much easier to install.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Old thread, but better than starting new.

So I am mounting a big tank on my 05 iqr, with a 07 seat. The big tank I have, there is no way the back two bolts are going to line up with the back to bolts on the seat. Is it best for me just to push this thing as far forward as I can and drill new holes?

Also, im assuming i just drill out the rivets holding the nuts on the plastic back part of the seat, and slot these. Then i mount the tank and slide the seat forward for it to catch.

The nuts for the tank are the same thread size as the seat ones, if so ill just pick up a set of shorter bolts.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Anyone here end up drilling new holes? I had a mod steering hoop last year and everything lined up perfectly, now this year with stock hoop none of the holes lined up. I ended up drilling new hole but now there is a little bit of a gap between the console and the seat thats bugging the hell out of me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I got the same thing going on....I was just testing fitting my sled back together after a ton of work to it and with the big tank in place I couldnt get the seat anywhere near the console and it looks like trash with a gap in there. I removed the tank and put the seat back on and it slides all the way to the console so I am not sure what its hitting but its gotta have something to do with the tank.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Anyone here end up drilling new holes? I had a mod steering hoop last year and everything lined up perfectly, now this year with stock hoop none of the holes lined up. I ended up drilling new hole but now there is a little bit of a gap between the console and the seat thats bugging the hell out of me.[/b]
Same thing with my 600, we swapped plastic and seats on the 05 and 06 and the seat just doesn't push far enough forward. I think it's the front tank bracket, the rear holes don't line up with the threads in the big tank, I think its too far back.

Yep I have the gap too. :furious2:

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Did you guys drill out the nutzerts in the stock seat? The two threaded inserts in the very back by the tail light must be drilled out.

I just swaped 3 tanks this afternoon. Took under 2 hrs to do 3 and that included jetting the sleds for riding tomorrow.

This is a simple installation and you do not have to drill any extra holes. Something isn't right with your tanks/seat, it will fit perfectly when installed properly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Did you guys drill out the nutzerts in the stock seat? The two threaded inserts in the very back by the tail light must be drilled out.

I just swaped 3 tanks this afternoon. Took under 2 hrs to do 3 and that included jetting the sleds for riding tomorrow.

This is a simple installation and you do not have to drill any extra holes. Something isn't right with your tanks/seat, it will fit perfectly when installed properly.[/b]

on my 09 everything lined up, seat fit nice and square. i have a 1/2 inch of space in the front bracket ( like the tank can come forward) i go to put on the console and im at least a 1/2 from the hoop. i massaged the fill opening a little , but as the console slides forward the part around the seat start to lift and ride upward on the tank. i used the rr tank. are they differant than the kit tank? also noticed the tank just hits the air box. and the 08rr console is a differant part number. anyone know the differance? i did this last year on my 07 and it fit perfect. this ones being a pain

1 - 20 of 73 Posts