Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '98 XC600 with a 121" track that I want to turn into a "boondocking" sled.

I just bought a 136" track with 1-3/4" paddles for it.

I also bought a 136" long suspension that came out of a 2001 Edge touring sled.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions for mounting this suspension to my sled? I would think it would work, but I am sure the mounting bolts in the tunnel are not in the right locations. Does anyone know how I can locate the new mounting holes for the Edge suspension.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,572 Posts
Originally posted by snowriderjoe@Aug 30 2005, 08:52 PM
I have a '98 XC600 with a 121" track that I want to turn into a "boondocking" sled.

I just bought a 136" track with 1-3/4" paddles for it.

I also bought a 136" long suspension that came out of a 2001 Edge touring sled.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions for mounting this suspension to my sled?  I would think it would work, but I am sure the mounting bolts in the tunnel are not in the right locations.  Does anyone know how I can locate the new mounting holes for the Edge suspension.

Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=854206
[/quote]
The first Edge Touring sleds were the 2003 700 Classic Touring and the Limited Build 800 Classic Touring. They used an Edge Touring rear suspension, which was basically a long track M-10 torque arm and rail geometry with an Xtra-12 upside down V coil over shock arrangement with hairpin springs as well. There is no remote reservoir for the rear shock. The rear torque arm attaches to the rail with a sliding block setup like an M-10.

In 2001 the Gen II Touring sleds were for sale. They used a 136" Xtra-12 rear suspension. The rear torque arm connects to the rail thru a pivoting scissors link.

Identify which suspension you have and then on a similar sled, measure the relationship between the suspension mounting points, the exact location of the drive axle and the top of the tunnel. Remember that both of these suspensions have an extra carrier wheel axle that mounts in the tunnel behind the rear torque arm mounting points. You may have to buy the steel mounting pads that normally go in the tunnel for the appropriate suspension.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a picture of the suspension I am planning on installing. I am assuming this came of a 2003 by the description below.
Can anyone provide mounting hole dimesions in relation to the drive shaft and top of tunnel?
Also, any other advice in mounting the suspension and track would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by snowriderjoe@Sep 11 2005, 08:03 AM
Here is a picture of the suspension I am planning on installing.  I am assuming this came of a 2003 by the description below.
Can anyone provide mounting hole dimesions in relation to the drive shaft and top of tunnel?
Also, any other advice in mounting the suspension and track would be appreciated.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=869519
[/quote]

To be honest, i feel that you would be better off adding extensions to your extra-10 rails. You can get kits that provide the tunnel extension(if needed) and rail extensions for about 200 bucks. That extra 10 is more efficient than that touring suspension. You could get decent money for that touring suspension and use some of that money to buy the tunnel extension and rail extensions. Thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been thinking about doing just that. I only paid $100 for the suspension, so I'm sure I could make some money on it.
Only thing is that the xtra-10 has about 8800 miles on it and is showing some wear and tear.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by snowriderjoe@Sep 11 2005, 09:20 PM
I've been thinking about doing just that.  I only paid $100 for the suspension, so I'm sure I could make some money on it.
Only thing is that the xtra-10 has about 8800 miles on it and is showing some wear and tear.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=870363
[/quote]
use that suspension. its far superior to the xtra10. contact jbshocks he might have measurements.

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
Originally posted by n2oiroc@Sep 11 2005, 09:27 PM
use that suspension. its far superior to the xtra10. contact jbshocks he might have measurements.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=870382
[/quote]
Its far superior in comfort , but not necessarily better for use as a deep powder/boondocking sled IMHO.

You'll also need to check your track clearance with the 1 3/4" track , you may have to install 8tooth drivers to make it fit. Also I think the track needs to be notched to clear the tunnel heat exchangers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts