Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All stock. Airbox came out tough, guessing installation will be a b*tch.....

Before I start using cuss words in new phrases, is there a trick to it?

Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
I stick one hand in the box, then I can feel what sides of each boot are not in and then poke them with a flat screwdriver. The more times you put it on the easier it gets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I usually loosen the carbs from the boots, that way u can wiggle them up a bit and its easier to slide the airbox on. But i still use som bad langauge, because it feels better to be a bit angry when it doesn't go my way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
airbox tip

The choke cable gets in the way when I install the box on my 08 IQRR so i tried disconnecting it and that made the job much easier. It's a little bit tough getting it hooked back up but its worth it because my airbox goes in so much easier.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I bought air box boots from an '06 Fusion 600 (they retail around $6 a piece) and tossed a few small screws in them to hold them in place. The box will then come on and off without any boot issues, way easier.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Put the box in the sled, make sure you get it by the choke cable first. Pull the rubber strap down to the right out of the way so you aren't fighting with it. When you get the box in and both carb boots on, then pull the rubber strap back to the top and connect it. Put your hand in the airbox to make sure you on all the way on the carbs.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.

No issues with the choke cable, I remove that before pulling the box so it is out of the way already.

I'll do the airbox mod, looks like that will give me a bit more clearance when putting the airbox back in. Didn't know if putting the boots on the carbs and then matching to the airbox would be easier or vise versa

·
Registered
177 Posts
I need to check out another IQR sometime. I have a 2008 IQR and my airbox comes out in like under 10 seconds and goes back in the sled in like 20 seconds tops. Thats with out messing with anything. It makes me wonder if the previous owner did something...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a aluminum brace that holds the airbox forward, it is located in front of the gas tank, maybe yours is removed or modified? I've removed hundreds of airboxes and never had one come out at hard as this one did....

I am sure there is a trick to it, like most things, just gotta figure it out. However, I did order the boots from JS Powersports as that will open it up another 1/4" or so.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I set mine up a little different. I used the same boots as JS but I slipped mine over the carbs backwards. I then bored the holes in the airbox to accept the rubber boots.If you slide the boots on to the carbs as far forward as possible you will gain a little extra room. I made myself a reamer to bore the holes, if you would like me to open the holes on your airbox msg me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Know this is an old thread, but recently ran into this problem. Had to loosen the tank as far as it can go back without the tank spring coming off, then slide the airbox in with the carb boots loose and also using the JS powersports boots. Was barely able to get it in without the boots trying collapse on the airbox. What a frustrating experience---pretty sure I'll be better at it the next time.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
silicone spray and I pull up on the carb rack (loosened clamps) while my other hand is in the airbox pushing it on. If you have a bent airbox mount you will be doing it again. The jackshaft is going to wear a hole through your airbox. Make sure the airbox mount is standing strait up. They bend easy

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
The rubber boots stay on the carbs on an iqr so if you are attaching them to the airbox thats the first problem.I just take out the choke lever and the airbox goes on in about 5 seconds.The pro snox guys put a longer choke cable on and cut off the part of the console that goes over the tank.If you do that,then its easy to pull the console screws and reach right into the carb area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts