Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I had to install a new oil tank in my 600 which was not so easy as the oil tank and air box are one unit and the steering post runs right through the middle. Anyways, when removing the original oil tank we had to pull out on the steering shaft a bit to get the tank out. After I put everything back together I now have some play in the steering. If I slowly move left to right it will make a light popping noise. Anyone have any idea what I might have done?

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
You might want to check the upper and lower post mount bushings and retainer brackets. Make sure the bolts are tight and the bushings are in-tact. If you have some up/down movement in the bars, sometimes you can loosen the upper bushing retainer bolts, then retighten them as you are pushing upwards or downwards on the aluminum bushing retainer. Also sometimes the tie rod to post, retaining bolt/nut gets worn loose under the motor where it attaches to the post. Might just need to snug that up.

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
You might be able to get on it after taking the carbs out of the way. You'll have to look down in there with a flashlight. Turn the handlebars full stop each direction and watch for it to be accesable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.