Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Polaris Assault 800
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The businesses in Inlet need to get together and tell the Town or County that there should be access for all snowmobilers to get in town. Unless you have a Town of Webb trail permit, you cannot get into Inlet legally. I know this has been this way for years, but it's ridiculous. The restaurants and other establishments would make more money. Coming in from Cedar River you have to eat at The Ole Barn.....sick of the place. The small crappy trail to Gilbert Rd, you need a permit. Once on Gilbert Rd and then S.Shore Rd, you do not. Then you cannot legally cross Route 28 to get to The Woods Inn or any other place in town. Crazy. Talked to an Encon officer this weekend and sledders coming from the East are doomed without a pass. He was one of the normal officers you could actually have an informative conversation with. Registering 3 sleds every year and getting to Inlet 1-2 times a year does not warrant buying 3 trail passes @ $80-$100 each.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Although I hear what you are saying, it will never happen. The attractions in town are why you buy the pass, that and of course the grooming. If there is places that you want to visit I'd buy a week's pass and just plan to go once a year during that week. Is what it is man, have to pay to play. That or take the tracks to big moose Rd and ride the road to a few locations over that way, that's perfectly legal did it myself a few times.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I started snowmobiling in the Tug Hill Region and Adirondacks in 2005, and due to the permit requirement, for years my wallet ($$$) never visited Old Forge and Inlet businesses. I had ridden all around Old Forge and Inlet, but never entered either.

I did not get a Town of Webb permit until the 2018-2019 season because I was offered a killer deal as part of a large group for a seasonal rental. Although, the Town of Webb grooms a lot, their trails aren't much better than anyone else's due to the shear amount of traffic and that they seem to do most of their grooming during day and the trails never really get any time to "set-up" and harden. Their trails always seem like mush. Whereas, most other clubs seem to groom in the late night and early morning, giving the trails time to set up.

Of note, vintage snowmobiling is gaining popularity. I think it would be a huge benefit to Old Forge and Inlet businesses if the Town of Webb offered a reduced rate permit for vintage sleds. Vintage sled riders would not use the trails much, but they would sure fill the area motels, hotels, and restaurants.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Yes I agree when and how often they groom the snow is like play sand. If they groomed at night like the free guys, they would use less fuel and have better overall trails.

·
Registered
209 Posts
But then the town employees that groom would want more pay. It's a never ending problem. Fix one thing creates another problem.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
But then the town employees that groom would want more pay. It's a never ending problem. Fix one thing creates another problem.
The employees of my town plow roads all night so that they roads are clear by 5:00 or 6:00 AM for the morning commuters and school buses. And they don't want more pay to do this, it is part of the job.

Plus grooming at night, and giving the trails time to set-up would probably lower the number of grooming runs and the associated costs.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If businesses want to eliminate the OF trail passes they would need to come up with enough money to make up for the loss of revenue from the trail passes.
I'm sure they make loads of money on the traffic that pays for the passes but who is going to decide which business pays how much? Some places have more traffic and have higher margins than other places.
If there was one flat fee or dollar amount each business had to pay the smaller businesses would never get on board and if the larger businesses did get on board they would complain that the smaller businesses aren't paying their fair share.

In other words...
NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Old Forge riding sandblasts every painted surface of your sled, and burns thru hyrax and carbides like no other place I've ever ridden. And that's the good snow years. I can't see myself ever paying for OF trail pass again.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Old Forge riding sandblasts every painted surface of your sled, and burns thru hyrax and carbides like no other place I've ever ridden. And that's the good snow years. I can't see myself ever paying for OF trail pass again.
If you have ever been on any of those trails in the Summer on a Motorcycle you would know why!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
If businesses want to eliminate the OF trail passes they would need to come up with enough money to make up for the loss of revenue from the trail passes.
I don't think the OP is proposing eliminating the OF trail pass.

I believe that he is proposing a legal way for non-permit holders to access businesses in Inlet, on the fringe of the TOW trail system even if it means the Inlet Barnstormer take over these trails.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The TOW (and to some extent Inlet) is a joke. ALL they care about is that you buy their pass. They scrap the roads down to dirt/pavement/gravel every time it snows, even roads that are part of the trail system (Rondaxe,Uncas), There is ZERO law enforcement to get the throttle jockey morons to slow down and stay right, you can pretty much get inebriated, hop on your sled and nothing happens. Very little signage to warn of hazards, to slow down, blind corner etc
The groomers are paid (well) and not volunteers, but complain about anything on the two Facebook pages that dominate, and you'll get attacked left and right.
Most people that ride OF have obviously never ridden Quebec, Maine, or Michigan, so they have nothing to compare it to.
I Live on the S Shore road, and would rather go to Quebec that ride OF, and when we do it's during the week to avoid the OF weekend shit show

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
The TOW (and to some extent Inlet) is a joke. ALL they care about is that you buy their pass. They scrap the roads down to dirt/pavement/gravel every time it snows, even roads that are part of the trail system (Rondaxe,Uncas), There is ZERO law enforcement to get the throttle jockey morons to slow down and stay right, you can pretty much get inebriated, hop on your sled and nothing happens. Very little signage to warn of hazards, to slow down, blind corner etc
The groomers are paid (well) and not volunteers, but complain about anything on the two Facebook pages that dominate, and you'll get attacked left and right.
Most people that ride OF have obviously never ridden Quebec, Maine, or Michigan, so they have nothing to compare it to.
I Live on the S Shore road, and would rather go to Quebec that ride OF, and when we do it's during the week to avoid the OF weekend shit show
I agree with you somewhat. I believe that Uncas and parts of Trail 5 get plowed down too far. However, even this past Sunday morning Rondaxe was not terrible. I don't get it.

I agree that I would like to see the TOW Police crack down more on throttle jockeys, drunks, and those stupid, power-robbing, trail-closing "cans".

I have ridden Quebec several times, and agree, that the TOW, Lewis County and Tug Hill Towns, and the municipalities inside of the Adirondack Park could learn a lot from Quebec and how they handle their snowmobile "roads" and trails.

I will say that this final weekend, the TOW Groomers were out in force!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Town of Inlet groomers groom half of the Moose River Plains. Instead of complaining that you can’t get into town without buying the pass, be grateful for the trails that you are riding for free.

·
Registered
2012 Polaris Assault 800
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing is free in NY. Part of the registration fees go to the clubs. For grooming..... NY could be such a great state for snowmobiling, but the tree huggers and idiots running the state will never allow the trails to be like other bordering states or Canada. My point was make the barely 1 mile trail from the Ole Barn to Inlet accessible for all. Rediculous that the one trail blocks all from accessing the town.

·
Registered
20 XCR 850, 21 VR1 650, 21 VR1 850
926 Posts
We purchase permits every year only for the reason of passing through the TOW system. Since our kids are grown we do not ride OF any more when they were young it was a good place for the family to ride and stay. We try to pass through OF early morning or later in the evening to avoid the long lines of sleds doing 20 mph that get pissed off when we safely pass them. In the grand scheme of things purchasing a season pass early only cost about $15 more than a gallon of premium 2 stroke oil which is a small price to pay in the sport of snowmobiling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts